Thursday, January 10, 2013

master bath in progress

 Last month, we had both our bathrooms updated.
It certainly was about time...we've lived in this house 24 years and we
hadn't done anything to the bathrooms except to paint them!
We were still living with the original linoleum, which was beyond disgusting,
and the original fixtures (can anyone say 1980's lightbulb bar?)

So now I'm in the decorating phase of the master bath ~ which is the fun part, right?
Found the large, white mirror at Lowes. The cat picture is from Goodwill.


I'd been on the hunt for some vanity accessories, but couldn't find ones that I really liked.
Until yesterday, when I found the white porcelain tray and drinking cup at Target. On sale.


Love the raised flower detail on the cup and tray...



I also found the perfect-size-and-color bath mat at HomeGoods.


The master bath is tiny and doesn't have a tub - just a shower. So it's really
hard to find a shower curtain that fits a free-standing shower. After hunting
in stores and online, I finally found one online at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
They are made to fit just a free-standing shower instead of the standard 72" bath/tub
shower combos. I haven't ordered it yet though, because it's rather pricey and the
clerk at the store told me that if I bring in a 20% off Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon,
they'll place the order for me online and that way I can use my coupon.
Sooo...I'm still waiting to receive a coupon in the mail or find one in a magazine.
I used to be inundated by these coupons and now I have none. Doesn't that just figure?


Another  thing I'm looking for: some kind of white shelving unit
to go underneath the towel rack, beside the sink.
This bathroom doesn't have any storage except for under the sink (oh - and I do
have one of those over-the-door clear plastic shoe racks that hold a lot of 
my bath and beauty items) - but I'd still like decorative shelving in this area.
NOT the stool and basket that I currently have there now.


Still looking for just the right artwork to go in the commode area, too ~
or I might actually create something, who knows.

Thanks for visiting!



9 comments:

  1. Melanie, I love the soothing, calm blue and cream colors you have used in your bath remodel. The cat picture is really cute! Please come and redo my bathrooms for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do the remodeling part, just the decorating. I'd love to come and help you with that part! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love what you've done so far! Part of the pleasure of decorating is The Hunt. When it all comes together it's as good as a banana split. I get BB & B coupons regular in the mail. If one comes in soon I will mail it to you. I don't think they wouldn't be transferable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marla - but a kind blog reader already sent me one in an email, so I'm all good now!

      Delete
  3. I love everything, Mel...we share a lot of the same style. The cat picture is SO cute. I like to get my bath accessories at Target, too. They have an ever changing selection. I hope you get your shower curtain...if not you might consider cutting one to size and hemming the side. I'm glad you are over the hard part!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ho ho, Jane, you are sooo funny! Me, do any kind of sewing?! You're gonna have to pick me up from the floor now, cuz I'm down there laughing! :-)

      Delete
  4. Always nice to freshen things up. On this side of the world, bathrooms are not thought of as something to decorate so I mostly put lots of stuff in them to hide all that's wrong. We are renting so don't want to spend a lot of money but let me just say that the light figures throughout are definitely from another decade. Ha! Have a fabulous Friday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We often have so much in common Melanie, we put that same light fixture in our master bath!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie,

    Just love your variety of posts! Your new bathroom is quite refreshing - love the geometrics on the bath mat and the shower curtains's soft floral pattern. I see you're a talented cook, as well! Nice to meet you!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!