Saturday, March 2, 2013

thrifting pleasures

Been doing a little treasure hunting again...

 This vintage picnic basket is in perfect condition. It was marked at $9.99 -
not bad. But I got it even cheaper using a 15% off Goodwill coupon,
plus another 5% off with my Goodwill Club card. Score! Not sure exactly how
I'm going to use it yet. I know I want to use it for some kind of storage and as
a decor piece. Still "playing" with possibilities. 


 Being a cat lover, I'm a sucker for most cat-themed items and I also love blue and white.
These cuties are salt and pepper shakers, but I'm using them as decorative tchotchkes.


More blue and white! I don't think this bowl is really worth anything. The markings
on the bottom were hard to read, but my husband thought it said, "Made in China."
Rats. Oh well, I thought it was cute anyway. I'm using it to hold potatoes.



Love this Bailey's sugar and creamer! Again, not worth a ton of money or anything; saw
them for $12 on eBay. But I paid half of that and I think they're just darling.


 I love little glass trays, especially if they're artsy. With the colors in my family room
being black and orange, I knew this would look nice on the side table.
I figured it was just an inexpensive piece from World Market or a similar store...


 but I saw the sticker on the backside said Fringe Studio in CA. Looked it up
when I got home and they sell for anywhere between $10 - $25. Again, not anything
terribly expensive, but I felt good having paid only 99 cents.


 Two more kitties! Obviously handmade. I wish there had've been more. They'd
look so cute piled in a basket.


 Have a beautiful Saturday. The sun is finally shining here. :-)

Sharing my favorite things at Mockingbird Hill Cottage and
The Self-Sufficient Homeacre Blog Hop. Pay these gals a visit!


24 comments:

  1. You found some great things...your Goodwill sounds like a good one. The basket is in good shape and the spongeware bowl is very cute. I like the Bailey's cups, a shot of Bailey's in coffee with a dollop of whipped cream is wonderful on a cold day!! Love the kitty pieces, too.

    It looks like my blog is back up since I emailed you. Hurray!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I've never tried Baileys in coffee?! I've only had it on the rocks. Will have to try it in coffee one of these cold nights. :-) Glad your blog is back up - hooray!

      Delete
  2. You know I love your kitties! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of cute things! I'm a sucker for kitties also and I love both the s&p shakers and the little stuffed guys. I think you go good buys on all your finds. The glass tray is very pretty! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much cuteness! What's a Goodwill Club card? I don't think my Goodwill has that. My favorite is the Bailey's sugar and creamer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Goodwills in the northern suburbs of Chicago have Goodwill Club cards (free) where you get 5% off your total purchase over $20!

      Delete
  5. You got some really cute things at really good prices! We don't have the Goodwill Club card either. Never heard of it.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy. It's funny how Goodwills in different area have totally different ways of running things. There's a Goodwill right here in the town I live in that belongs to a different "group" of Goodwill stores than the ones I normally shop. They don't have GW club cards either.

      Delete
  6. The picnic basket was such a wonderful find!! It looks like it's barely been used. And those little soft kitties are so sweet! You'll have to make some more like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I don't sew. Want to make some for me?!

      Delete
  7. Love the vintage! Found you on A Favorite Thing and I would love to have you share this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop today!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invitation, Lisa. I will indeed share this on your blog.

      Delete
  8. Melanie, you found some wonderful things! And at bargain prices! You must have good thrifting mojo!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week,

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did well with your treasure hunting. I love blue and white, too. Those kitty shakers and the bowl are great! And I would definitely have that basket filled up in no time. Have a great day! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammy. I'll bet you could use that picnic basket for all your yarn and crocheting supplies!

      Delete
  10. Melanie, you got some really good deals and lots of great finds! Our Goodwill here in Aiken does not post coupons and, as far as I know, there is no club membership. Wish they did! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Goodwill that I frequent offers scratch-off coupons on the 15th of every month. You get either 15, 20, or 25% off your total purchase!

      Delete
  11. You scored some fun things.

    I am saving up for a flea market at the local fairgrounds on March 31.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love flea markets, too. Hope you find some great stuff!

      Delete
  12. That creamer and sugar are so cute!
    How about using that picnic basket for a picnic? After your snowstorms are over anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely use the basket for a picnic - but unfortunately, that's still a ways off. You're right, can't picnic in the snow!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing your talent on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
    Our next party goes live Sunday morning at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-6.html

    If you have a blog hop, please check out The Linky Love Party...a place to share your parties with other bloggers! Grab the button for an easy way to search for parties every week!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/lets-party.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!