Thursday, March 7, 2013

brighten your world with spring touches

 I don't know about you, but I'm so over winter! 

Here in the Chicago 'burbs, we got socked with another snow storm
 a couple of days ago. And then I ended up having to go to immediate care 
yesterday because I have conjunctivitis. Yep, yucky "pink eye".
 How and where I picked that up is anyone's guess. Since I can't control the
 weather, I can at least control the decor inside my home, right? 
Buh-bye heavy blankets on the couch, pine cone fillers in vases, 
and darker decor. Hello to bird's nests, brighter colors, chicks and bunnies.

So here's what I've been playing with in Comfy House the past couple of days.



Top shelf of the ladder bookcase got a makeover with clear glass bottles.
The owls that were up there are now happily cohabitating on top of a bookcase
in the downstairs family room.





These beads in the dish were from a necklace that my mom brought back
from Cancun, Mexico many years ago. I haven't worn the necklace in years;
it was big and clunky. So I took it apart and used the beads as a filler.


The china cabinet got an update to lighter colors and some of my rooster collection.


Cute child's plate from Goodwill - 49 cents.


 Bunnies on a shelf...



Remember the picnic basket I got from Goodwill? I set it beside the chair in 
the office and made a little vignette on top of it.




 It's spring fever.  That is what the name of it is.  And when you've got it, 
you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly 
makes your heart ache, you want it so!  ~Mark Twain

Linking to Jen's Creative Friday Linky Party

22 comments:

  1. It sure looks like spring in your home! Sorry you got more snow. I think everyone is rooting for warmer weather.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This had better be the last of the snow until December! :-)

      Delete
  2. Yes, I'm ready to see birds and nests and spring flowers and feel the sun on my skin.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm so ready to get out in the yard to do some gardening! Love all your spring touches and I hope winter will be over for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to do some gardening too, Manuela. Looking so forward to planting flowers, herbs, and vegetables.

      Delete
  4. Love your spring vignettes and accents...I need to do a little of that around here, with all the snow we're buried under! Hope you are feeling better soon, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have lots of snow here too, Linda ~ but I couldn't wait to bring out the spring decor! I'm feeling much better, thank you.

      Delete
  5. Lovely touches of Spring. We've had drear and dust for a week so I feel much better today now that it is the weekend, I'm not rushing around and the sun is shining. I love weekends! Sending warm wishes your way. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything I see here! Your style is definitely my style. I love the suitcases, the bottles, the window, all of it. I just stumbled upon your blog and I am your newest follower. I'd love a visit whenever you have the time. AND I agree, I'm so ready for spring! I live in NC, we are supposed to get up to 71 on Monday, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, it is so nice to meet you. Glad you like my style and thank you so much for becoming a follower. I will pop on over to your blog and pay you a visit as well!

      Delete
  7. Melanie! Mary Oliver is my favorite poet in the world. And you know I love "My Bookstore" - you have me smiling today. Not to mention that your decorating tweaks are lovely. I hope you feel better soon, Pink Eye is no fun.

    We got socked last night, too - there's probably about 6 inches in the ground now. I would be out of my mind but Don is enjoying it as he hasn't seen snow yet this year. So I'll grin and bear it.

    xoxo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Oliver is my favorite poet, too! I got to meet her in a person a few months ago at Marquette University in Wisconsin. What an absolute treat. She's a tiny woman, but packs a punch with her beautiful poetry and quick wit and sense of humor. If Don wants some more snow, he can have mine, too. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Oh lucky you! I would love to meet her.

      Delete
  8. Looks like spring at your house! The snow is really pretty, but I think with the rain coming, that's going to change quickly. Last year at this time, my crocus were blooming. I am ready for spring, too. Yesterday I changed my snowman candy dish for a clear glass one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for getting rid of the snowmen decor - hope it's a loong time before we have to bring it out again!

      Delete
  9. Hi Melanie, Half of the snow is melted in the yard and the birds are singing. It already looks like spring in your lovely home. Really looking forward to this week! Love, Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Penny...the snow piles are diminishing. Yay! I'm looking forward to this week, too. I get to meet both you and Jane (Blondie's Journal) this week, plus we have the Midwest bloggers get-together! :-)

      Delete
  10. It's looking pretty springy in your home, Melanie. I always love the use of nests and birds in spring.
    Thanks so much for stopping by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few more nests and quite a few more birds...but I need a bigger house! ;-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!