Friday, December 21, 2012

snowy day good for baking, tweaking ~ and nuturing a cold

 How appropriate that on the first day of winter, we got our first snow.
It wasn't much and most of it happened overnight, but the winds here have been fierce.
At times, it was hard to sleep last night because the gutters kept banging against
the house and the windows were rattling.


Guess it's time to hang up the decorative snowflakes!



I'm ready to display my snowmen too, but I've been waiting for hubby to hang
some shelving and frames on the kitchen wall.
I think I'll do a snowman theme on the shelves.
Ready to go...


This looong, blank wall will soon be filled...


 Even though I've been sick, I've been doing some baking. I get really bored when I'm sick.
I can only read so much or watch so much TV when I have to get up and do something.
This morning, I baked streuselkuchen. A classic crumb cake. So good with a cuppa tea!


This hasn't been a good week for me as far as injury and illness.
This past Monday afternoon - soon after I posted that I was looking forward to my yoga class -
I was carrying something out to my garage, and I fell down the three steps leading into my garage.
I'll be OK - I have a lot of nasty external bruises as well as a bruised tailbone, but it 
could've been a lot worse. I could've easily broken some bones, or hit my head,
or severely injured my back. I already have three herniated disks, so my tailbone is
really hurting. Actually feels better when I'm up and around. Yoga stretches help, too.

And then late Wednesday night, I could feel a cold coming on.
It's now full-blown head congestion, sinus pain, dripping nose, hacking cough.
I'm resting when needed, drinking lots of water and tea, and taking vitamin C and 
some herbal supplements.


 Hubby is home from work and I've got roasted potatoes in the oven.
I'm going to try a new recipe for pork tenderloin medallions and a corn casserole.
Even though I'm sick, I actually have an appetite. I guess that's a good thing. :-)
 

7 comments:

  1. hope you feel better soon! the grands have had colds and now Jeff has a cold. I hope I can keep avoiding those germs with lots of handwashing and being so careful to not touch my face.

    You commented you hope have some grands too- it took a long time for me to get any. Nina was 25 when her 1st was born, Son Bobby was 30 when his 1st was born and my stepson was 33 when their first came along.
    You will be a wonderful grandmother when yours come along but I think it could be awhile. You never know though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rhonda...I'm not in any hurry. Tim just turned 22 and doesn't even currently have a girlfriend! He still has 2-3 more years of college left (if he goes for his masters) and I'd like him to enjoy single life for awhile by being able to travel and then getting his own place! No hurry for marriage and babies. :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow...you have been through the mill. Nasty fall and yes...you could have been hurt worse. The cold doesn't sound fun either, but at least you should be over it by Christmas. I get spurts of energy when I'm sick, too. You can only lie in bed so long! The crumb cakes looks out of sight!

    Keep up the good work with the wll...it will fall into place before you know it. And I'm sorry I keep spelling Brian Bryan. Don't know where I got that!!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, this has not been a good week for you. Ouch! Hope you are feeling better soon. I think we must have taken the lions share of the snow before it reached you.. But ours is already starting to melt. NOOOOOO! I want a white Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful vignettes you shared. So sorry to hear you've got a cold. 'Tis the season I guess for many things, colds being one of them.

    Thanks for visiting our crazy Baby cat. I'm not sure the tree will last till Christmas! haha

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear that you fell and that you're sick! It is good that you have an appetite!

    Your stars look pretty hanging from the birdcage!

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be glad to share my cold with you but you already have one of your own. I will be glad when we both feel better. You have been busy to be sick! I am so glad you were not seriously hurt when you feel down the steps. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!