Tuesday, October 1, 2013

fall nesting comes to the china cabinet


 I've been playing around with fall decor in my living room and kitchen for
a couple of weeks now ~ but I'm still tweaking! These two rooms are the
only rooms that I change decor around for the fall. My china cabinet
in the kitchen is small and rather dark. If I had the skills and patience to
paint it, I would. But, I don't. So it stays this way for now. In the meantime,
I try to brighten up the inside by adding some color.


 The bowl (which has a lid - but I wanted to use it more as a stand in this case),
the square glass jar, and gold leaf salt and pepper shakers are thrifted finds.


I added color and interest to the middle shelf by lining the back with scrapbook paper.
Teapot is a thrifted find, yellow cake stand is from TJ Maxx, squirrel salt and pepper
shakers are from Wal-Mart.


The bottom shelf is all thrifted finds, too! I've had the dried chinese lanterns
for years - a friend gave them to me from her yard.


I'm heading to the grocery store now and I'll be in search of white mini pumpkins.
Which means some more tweaking and decorating will be going on around here!


 I love the richness of fall colors, how about you? 
Sharing the fall decorating love The Inspired Room and 


18 comments:

  1. Looks like you are ready to fall. Your cabinet looks so good with all of your little touches and the pumpkins here and there.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of your fall touches. Happy to have met you through Tweak it Tuesday. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I'm glad you found me through Tweak it Tuesday. I'll come over and visit you at your blog, too!

      Delete
  3. Your cabinet looks so pretty and bright for Fall, Melanie. I usually only decorate our living room, dining and kitchen areas for most holidays, as well. Compared to others I have seen, I do very little, most of the time. Your "finds" are all great. I smiled when I say the salt shakers with the gold leaves. I have some glasses that have leaves on them like your shakers. They had belonged to my husband's mother and we got them when she passed away. Orange pumpkins are always a favorite, but I have been seeing lots of ideas for painting the faux ones different colors, with regular paint. Spray paint would melt them, I would imagine. I have been thinking of getting some from The Dollar Tree and painting them to decorate with. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool that you have the same glasses as my salt and pepper shakers! I've seen blogs with painted pumpkins - even real ones - too! But I'm not that crafty and am behind on so many other things, that I'm leaving my pumpkins alone. :-)

      Delete
  4. Your cabinet looks great with that paper backing and pops of orange!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your teapot and that transferware (?) plate. I think the touches of colours are perfect against teh wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Magali. Yes, that's transferware. I have 4 of those plates. Found them at Goodwill! :-)

      Delete
  6. Pretty Melanie. That would be a difficult piece to paint-I am one of the non painting bloggers-hehe. I cannot find small white pumpkins this year which is vexing. xo, olive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one of the non-painting bloggers, too ~ like I said, no talent for that and no patience. I've only painted "cheap" pieces. I think the beauty of some pieces shouldn't be messed with. I couldn't find any small white pumpkins either - none at the grocery stores this year! However, I did find some at the local nursery.

      Delete
  7. Melanie,
    I have a white little cake plate that I got from TJ Maxx for next to nothing myself-I always love to shop the discounted area and scrounge through all of that nonsense-but then I find the treasure and it makes me happy. You have just the perfect touches to welcome Fall and it is so nifty of you to add that striped scrapbook paper.
    Love it all!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to change things up. Your couch is the perfect color because you can add just about any color to it and will look great. Love that blue throw. How did the Family Feud audition go? :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments on the couch from the previous post, Tammy. Guess I'd better write about the audition!

      Delete
  9. Hey Melanie, I bought a pair of Nikes from an outlet store in the states this summer and they feel pretty good. I always make sure they are for running of walking when I look for a pair to buy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy! We do have a Nike outlet about 45 minutes from here, but I normally can't wear Nikes because they run pretty narrow. I have slightly wide feet.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!