Saturday, July 30, 2011

comings and goings...mostly goings

The month of JULY has been really busy with family get-togethers and weekend jaunts. It's just one of the many things I love about summer ~ the freedom and spontaneity of being out and about.

My Aunt Bunny (no, that's not her real name...her real name is Yvonne. She's had the nickname of Bunny since she was a little girl) and her husband, Uncle Roland had a family BBQ at the beginning of the month. Here's part of our crazy clan. Others were out of town.

Left, back: Bunny (looking wiped out ~ she has CFS and I think throwing a family party was too much); cousin Dale (Bunny's son) holding son, Harlan; Beth (Dale's wife) holding son, Archer; me (pink flowered shirt) with hubby, Brian behind me...Right, front: Uncle Roland (falling asleep?!) holding grandson, Matthew; Benjy (Roland's son) and his wife, Kathy.

One VERY pleasurable part of this family get-together was getting to hold - for hours! - my new baby cousin, Harlan. My hubby said I am glowing in this picture. Can you tell I love babies?!


In mid-July, Brian and I got together with my mom (orange shirt), Aunt Suzie (white shirt), and Uncle Jim (Suzie's husband). We went out to the boondocks where there's three little antique stores in a row. Just look at all those treasures to dig through! I ended up buying two tiny, red, leather-bound antique books, a 1970's rooster wall hanging, and a vintage yellow tray.



The Midwest is so beautiful in the summer. Just look at that view of the cornfields behind the antique stores.


 Brian's birthday was last Monday and we both had the day off work, so we spent it the day in one of our favorite getaway spots: Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.


The handsome Birthday Boy.


The sun was bright, the skies blue, the air not so humid...what a perfect day to sit on the patio of a restaurant right near the lake and enjoy a fresh, beautiful salad. This one with salmon was Brian's. Mine had grilled chicken and fresh berries on it, but I mixed it all up with the greens before I took the picture, so it wasn't really "pretty enough" to photograph. :-)


When we got home that evening, I gave Brian his birthday cake - a homemade zucchini-apple-walnut cake with cream cheese frosting. OK, so the frosting isn't "perfect" on the cake...but it sure tasted good!


Hope you all have been enjoying your summer as much as I have!


5 comments:

  1. a great post! loved the photos and I felt the joy in every one of them. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are such summer lovers Melanie, but even I'm a little warm this year. Heading off to a music ministry picnic any minute now, and even though I love being with all these people, I'm dreading being out in the heat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie!
    What a wonderful happy looking family you have. Love the picture of you holding your baby cousin...your hubby is right...you really are GLOWING! Thanks for stopping by my blog today...it was nice to 'meet' you :) You asked about my embroidered curtain panels...yes I am using them in our little farm cottage. I had 6 panels and I'm using all of them in our living room and dining room. I LOVE them and they are perfect....they're also 8'tall! Thanks again for stopping by...I hope you have a wonderful week...
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, it looks like you really are having a wonderful summer! You look so happy holding that sweet baby! Sounds like you found some wonderful treasures at the antique store too! The lake looks cool and relaxing and the salads look delicious! (I think I was at that lake several years ago for a friends wedding.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are enjoying your summer Melanie! How do you always find these neat places to go with your mom and aunt?

    Wish Brian a belated Happy Birthday from me please! His salmon salad looks heavenly.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    P.S. - I am signed in with my newest blog but still have the others too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!