Wednesday, March 30, 2022

slice of life ~ girl's getaway weekend and cat sitting

This past weekend, I went on a girl's getaway with one of my best friends. She had asked me in January if I wanted to go to Galena (IL) with her in February or March and I chose the end of March, thinking the weather would be decent. This is what we encountered the first day we were there. That's ice build-up on the outside edge of my car window.


The next day started out cloudy, but the sun finally made an appearance. It was cold though ~ only in the 30's. Doesn't it figure that the weekend before was in the 70's? Oh well, we had a lot of fun anyway. Galena is a beautiful, historic town in the northwest corner of Illinois, on the borders of Iowa and Wisconsin. I hadn't been since 2015.


We basically did the typical girlfriend things: enjoyed live music on Friday night, shopped 'til we almost dropped on Saturday, stopped for a french pastry and coffee for a mid-morning treat, relaxed in the late afternoon with a wine tasting, and enjoyed some light meals.

Saw these cat-embroidered jeans in a window and exclaimed they were "so me" ~ but not at $89.


Sampling some wines...only brought one bottle home with me.


Trunk is full, time to go home!


One of the things I bought was a card with quilling art on it. The shop keeper said people frame these; that they make beautiful art. I found this matted frame at Michaels and hung the art in my office/guestroom. I love it!


Our neighbor-friends are on vacation this week and I'm cat-sitting their fur babies, Frida and Bella. They're sisters, rescued from a local shelter. Aren't they beautiful? They're both so sweet and playful; Frida being a "wild child" and Bella being more laid back and quiet. Yesterday morning, they were both in the family room window looking for me as I approached the house. 😻


I've done a teeny bit of Easter decorating, which I will show you in my next post. Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week! 






10 comments:

  1. I love Galena but have not been there in years. It is such a quaint town with so much history.
    Too bad the weather was miserable but good friends don't mind the weather and are warmed by their love for each other.
    Looks like you had fun and I love the framed card.
    Have fun cat-sitting. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful kitties. So nice that you can help your friend out and kitty-tend. That town looks like such a fun place. I love the artwork you got. So glad you have a nice girls' date with your friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a wonderful girl's weekend! I have never been to Galena. I love your framed card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you were able to go away with your friend! Galena is a fantastic place to explore. I love that print as well.
    Those cats are very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galena sounds like a wonderful place! You have so many cute little towns in the midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilling art is beautiful! So are the two sweet kitty sisters.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kitties are really sweet. How great you can help out and take care of them. I have not been to Galena in forever so I would love to go again some day. Sorry our weather was not the best. Love that you made a pretty framed picture out of the card you bought. Looks great. Have a great rest of your day. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at those cute kitties! Your trip looks like fun, love the card. It's so colorful and the frame is perfect. I hope it gets warmer soon. Winter has worn out its welcome in my book. Happy April!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Galena looks like my kind of town. Too bad about the weather but an enjoyable time anyways. I have a lovely quilled bird a friend brought me back from the states but haven't been able to get a frame for it. Yours looks great. Sweet kitties. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet of you to cat sit, but I do know you're enjoying every minute of it. She knows her kitties are in good hands. Sorry the weather was so cold on your girlfriend weekend but looks like you had a good time anyway. It's always fun to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!