Wednesday, March 23, 2022

deciding on curtains

I bought my living room curtains over seven years ago at World Market. I like them: They're cotton and lined. The colors and pattern are pleasing to me. However, I'm tired of them. I've been looking for neutral curtains so that I can use different colors in my living room decor...not just colors that go with blue and yellowish-green.

When looking for a recent photo of my living room curtains on my laptop, the only one I could find was this one with Monkey in it from February 7th, the day before he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. 💔 I miss him so much. It hurts my heart just to look at his photo.


Home Goods has a good selection of curtains at great prices. I came home with two pairs to try. First up were these slightly sheer white curtains with button tab tops. I didn't like them in the living room - I thought they were too stark and too sheer. I don't think it helps that we still have faux wood trim around our windows. Ugly, I know. But we're not DIYers and so it's one of those things on the handyman/contractor list to be done.


Next up was a pair of sheer beige linen curtains. At first I thought I liked these, and then realized they were way too sheer.



We ended up putting the white button tab top curtains in Brian's office (formerly Tim's bedroom). We thought they looked good in there. Clementine approved!

The curtains that were hanging in this room before, got moved down to the basement family room over the window well window.


This is what the white curtains looked like in Brian's office in the morning. We're having a lot of gray, rainy days now, so not much light. But I'm loving the softer look.


Back to the drawing board ~ or in this case, stores and online ~ to find living room curtains!

Have you had to shop for curtains lately? What are your go-to places? 

12 comments:

  1. Choosing curtains is one of the hardest jobs I have when decorating. Our living room is in back with absolutely nothing/no one behind us so I have still not put anything up on the windows. Just can't decide what I want to do there. Good luck with your choices. I never thought to look at World Market for curtains! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to sew my own when we had our other houses, because the windows were large and I would have had to pay a fortune for custom. Here at the condo I bought my curtains off Wayfair. They have a great return policy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the curtains you chose look good in Brian's office. I have only bought one pair of curtains for this house. I found them at the Habitat ReStore. They were brand new and donated by Lowe's. In my last house I spent way too much on custom made window treatments. They were beautiful and I enjoyed them. When we put the house on the market the realtor said they needed to go. Because they were on cornice boards and that is no longer "the thing", they couldn't even be donated. It made me sick to have to trash them. Good luck with your search.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melanie - curtains can be problematic, simple ones are the easiest to deal with. Several years back I bought matching linen/cotton blend floor length curtain panels (all same size) from Target for the living room, dining room and downstairs master bedroom. They are natural cream color with a little bit of woven texture making them look more expensive than they were, haha! They all hang from ring clips (or perhaps that's clip rings!) of different metals according to room decor. They are opaque enough to give privacy at night (although we rarely close them as we also have blinds on all our windows), and they allow enough light through to look good during the day drawn back to the sides.
    Easy to care for too - throw them in the washer, dry until still a little damp then rehang, tie with a string in two places on each panel and they dry in nice folds - then don't require ironing! They may still have them at Target - if so I recommend them if they are still the same quality - these days one never knows what one might be getting sadly!
    Good luck finding the curtains you will enjoy dear. I'll send you some photos later. . . .. . and checking them now I see they will need a spring clean wash ASAP!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Home Goods. They always have good prices.
    I've found good curtains on Amazon, of all places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choosing curtains is hard. Finding what will really work is hard too. I have the DKNY button curtains but mine are not as sheer. Glad you could use them in Brian's office. Curtains, rugs and pillows seems to be hard choices with decorating of late. Good luck. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought plain white cotton panels from West Elm and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shop a lot at Amazon. Clementine and Monkey look so much alike! I know how you feel. I usually have to scroll past Charlie or Abi photos or I'm bawling again.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have bought good quality curtains on Wayfair for a reasonable price.
    Home goods also have lovely curtains as well. The ones you put in your husband's office look beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Curtains are tough, which is why I usually make my own. When I do buy, I go to a local curtain shop that sells very inexpensive panels or I shop at Amazon. I have tried SureFit, the slipcover store, and they had lovely panels, but they weren't the right colors for me. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I certainly love the simplicity of the whiter curtains as you said! It's light and airy and makes everything else stand out, yet still being homey. I do agree that they're too sheer. I'm a lover of texture, but I have problems finding curtains too. Most of the stores by me have closed which drives me crazy. But I've gotten some at Lowes which I love the back tab curtains, Amazon, Overstock.com, but the latter you'll be there forever searching!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love Country Curtains, though expensive, I loved their styles. So sad they went out of business. I've had luck with JCPenney, either in the store or their catalog. I dread shopping for curtains! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!