Saturday, October 31, 2020

weird halloween ~ let's bake!

I woke to a sea of green leaves in our side yard and patio this morning. 

A hard frost overnight stripped the trees almost completely bare.


Last year on Halloween, we had a freak snowstorm that dumped several inches of snow on us. Trick-or-treating was cancelled. This year, it's 57 degrees with a brilliant, blue sky.


And a blue moon. And a pandemic.

Spooky for real.


I don't do much baking these days, but my hubby likes an occasional sweet treat. And we both love pumpkin. This pumpkin bread recipe is different in that it's made with whole wheat flour and uses olive oil instead of butter. It's also heavy on the spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves...which make the house smell warm and cozy and fall-like.


The recipe is from the book, "Eat This Poem" ~ which is fabulous. It's filled with poems and short stories with each recipe, which emphasize the love and importance of nourishing ourselves and our family and friends. 



OLIVE OIL PUMPKIN BREAD
1-3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar (I used coconut sugar)
1 T pumpkin spice mix (recipe follows)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup pumpkin puree (from a can is fine, preferably organic)
2 large eggs
2 T pumpkin seeds

Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a loaf pan by buttering or lining with parchment paper. Stir the flour, brown and turbinado sugars, pumpkin spice mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Pour the olive oil and water into another bowl, then whisk in the pumpkin puree and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently incorporate with a wooden spoon, stirring just until no traces of flour remain. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan; sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds. Bake for 50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn the loaf onto a wire rack to cool completely. 

Pumpkin Spice Mix
(Use the extra to add to oatmeal or pancake batter!)

2 T ground cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice

**********
I hope that you do give this bread a try ~ it goes perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.


Happy Halloween ~ be safe and well.
💓




13 comments:

  1. I love the way you have displayed your tiered tray. I recently made pumpkin muffins with whole wheat flour and they were delicious. I'm copying your bread recipe to try in the near future. It looks and sounds delish. That cookbook sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't remember last Halloween and the snow until I read about it in a local newspaper. How fast we forget! And today was lovely. I made my little individual bags of treats and left them in a bowl on my bottom step. I get the Covid warnings, but I truly felt these little ones needed a good time and I wasn't at any risk.

    You recipe sounds fantastic...I haven't made anything pumpkin-like and hubby loves everything and anything pumpkin. Need to get off my butt!

    My ankle is feeling less painful but not stable. I need to keep wearing the brace but it makes my skin itch. I'm going to try it with a long cotton sock tomorrow. Thankfully I get to leave it off in bed at night.

    Enjoy these sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The carpet of leaves is glorious.
    It was gorgeous yesterday even though we didn't partake in the activities but at least it wasn't snowing so there is the positive.
    Happy Halloween, my friend! And this week is supposed to be gorgeous! Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet little Halloween ghosts! I know your house must smell marvelous after baking with spices. The cookbook looks great, my favorite cookbooks tell stories, not just give a recipe. Is that the big maple you've been showing progression of color or another tree? It's gorgeous! And I love your final picture. It looks to almost be a pinkish red and cream carpet around the tree trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had lots of trick-or-treaters and we played it safe by putting our miniature chocolate bars in individual baggies. We spaced them out on a long table that we decorated and placed towards the end of our driveway. Kids helped themselves safely and all of our treats were gone. Success!
    I love pumpkin and may give your recipe a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie. It was a nice Halloween yesterday. We only got about 5 kiddo's in their costumes. I guess with the pandemic no one wanted to have their kids trick or treat. I have tons of candy to go to the firehouse tomorrow. With the winds most of our pretty trees have lost a lot of the colorful leaves. The colors are so pretty. The pumpkin bread sounds so delicious. Enjoy. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for including that recipe, I’ve been looking for it since I saw your Instagram post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's definitely a blanket of green leaves. I'd say we are definitely in some very frightening times. That golden tree set against the brilliant blue sky is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I managed to catch up a little, Mel! The pumpkin bread in this post sounds super good. I've been meaning to make something "pumpkin", and I will. Just need to find the time!

    Your previous post gave a lot of food for thought. Reading--I always have a few books going, fiction and non-fiction. It depends on my mood. Of course if I hit on a book I plow through with no distraction but lately I'm being more picky about the time I devote to a book (the same with TV shows). If it doesn't capture me after an allotted time, I won't waste my time.

    I really wish I had more time for TV. I never have it on during the day. A) being hearing impaired, I can't follow it when I'm going about my day. B) It's also distracting, I could sit down and get mesmerized by a show and totally accomplish nothing! C) We have dinner late, 7-8:00 p.m., a result of my hubby's late work hours in the past. By the time it's all cleaned up and I'm showered, we are going on to the 10:00 news. I try to watch something, but can't follow a series and I know I'm missing out on quality TV.😒

    Music-I'm a sucker for current pop on my car radio. I also love The Blend on Sirius--a variety of the last 30 years.

    So that's it. The ankle feels good. I refused physical therapy at a facility due to Covid, so I do it at home. Still in a brace. I'm getting an epidural for the back and I pray it works. I'm on my feet about three hours a day and then lying down with an ice pack and taking two prescription pain pills --and that's my limit, every day for relief from 4-7:00. Then I make dinner and lie on the bed again to blog, read, or write... Pretty grim. The pandemic makes me feel more at ease that I'm not missing anything big. Too many people now close to home with it---I'm staying put.

    Stay in touch,

    Jane ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post, thanks for the recipe! Since our heavy frost the landscape has lost it's Fall prettiness and I am mourning it. 💖

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've had a couple of snowy Halloweens here too. Never pleasant! Your pumpkin bread looks delish and I'm going to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've had snow here a couple of times and that's never pleasant! Your pumpkin bread looks yummy! I've saved the recipe to try soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!