Wednesday, October 7, 2020

buncha random

Some new things for the house...

A large wine rack from Amazon that takes up less space than the two small wine racks I had before.


The two empty spaces on bottom were filled today with a Malbec and red blend I found at Trader Joe's. I love crisp, white wines and roses (ugh, that's not roses as in the flower...it's "rohzays"...I don't know how to get the foreign accent marks in Blogger!) in the warmer months and then heavier reds in the cold months.


Last Friday, I took a drive out to Woodstock, IL ~ the town famous for the filming of the movie, Groundhog Day. It was a beautiful day, I wanted a little escape all by myself, and the town square is a beautiful place to take a walk and stop in some independent shops. Besides, a few of the shops were participating in a Vintage Shop Hop.


Recognize this gazebo in the town square from the movie?


I came home with a couple of small things ~ this tin bird bath...


and a vintage bowl in one of my favorite colors.


I follow a young woman on Instagram that I used to know from when she was a teenager and we went to the same church. She's now married with a baby and living in the Portland, Oregon area. I've been enthralled by her macrame work ~ she's so talented! ~ and she's now selling it through her Instagram account. I finally decided on this piece for my guest room wall. So pretty, right? She uses driftwood that she finds on the beach.


If you're old enough to remember, macrame was all the rage in the 70's. I took a class with my mom and made plant hangers and even a purse with a Lucite handle. 


I love supporting independent artists, too. If you're interested, her Instagram account is @heatherswebbs. 


Some freebies for the house...

An elderly woman down the street recently passed away. At least, that's what I'm assuming because I haven't seen her and her house is up for sale. A few days ago, Brian and I were taking a walk and there was a Dumpster in front of the woman's house. It was filled to the brim with relics of her life: old-fashioned lamps and torn lampshades, rusty toolboxes, a huge stereo console, a couch that looked like it was from the 1960's with that stiff, brushed polyester finish, lots of junky odds and ends, and ooh, some old ladders.


I also found a huge, vintage pottery crock. The only marking on the bottom is "USA". It has a couple of small chips on the back, but I don't mind. (I found a vintage bean pot too, but it's currently in the dishwasher so it hasn't been photographed yet.)

I guess I officially Dumpster dived! Though I didn't go INTO the Dumpster. Ick. These items were on top. Made me kind of sad though to think this lady lived her life in this house all these years and had all this furniture and things that made her house a home and perhaps made her happy, just like we all do. And then she's gone and all her stuff is relegated to a Dumpster and hauled away. She's gone, her stuff is gone. Like nothing ever mattered. I silently promised the elderly lady that I would take care of her few things and thanked her for them.


My sweet Clementine...

She was diagnosed with kidney disease a few years ago. It's unfortunately very common in cats, especially as they get older. She was young to be diagnosed - only eight or nine years old at the time. She's been doing pretty well since the diagnosis and has been on medicine for high blood pressure which helps the kidneys and a prescription diet. But her latest blood tests show that certain levels are climbing. It's time for subcutaneous fluids. The vet said she needed them one - three times a week to start out. I panicked because of the time and money involved. Long story short, I talked to the vet and we agreed she could start with one treatment per week. From what I've read about and heard from other cat owners, you can get the supplies from the vet and do the IV fluids yourself at home. That way you don't have to keep taking the cat to the vet plus, of course, it's much cheaper to do it yourself at home.

That's all fine and dandy except that IV needles ~ and the thought of sticking them into the cat's skin ~ totally freaks me out. I honestly don't know if I could handle that. Last night as I was lying in bed, I was picturing the whole set up at home and trying to insert the needle into Clementine's skin between her shoulder blades. And it actually made me feel like I was going to vomit. My anxiety was skyrocketing and I couldn't fall asleep. Brian said he couldn't do this either. So I don't know what we're going to do. We certainly can't afford anymore than one treatment per week through the vet. But as she progresses with her kidney disease, she's going to need more treatments. Has anyone out there been through this with their cat?


Gorgeous weather...

We've been blessed with a warm-up in temperatures, plenty of sunshine and brilliant blue skies. As I do every year, I photograph the maple tree across the street almost every day. It's amazing how quickly it changes. This photo was taken today in the late afternoon. 

"How beautifully leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days."
(John Burroughs)


Brian had the day off work yesterday and we went for an afternoon hike in the State Park. We are so lucky to have this gem close to our house.


If you look closely, you can see a sandhill crane taking off out of the water.



Getting ready for the new couch...

Last month, I told you that we finally bought a new couch from Crate and Barrel after looking for one for over a year. It had to be built - they didn't have the couch we wanted in stock - and it will finally be here on Friday. I'm so excited! The other day when our furnace tune-up guy was here (the son of a friend), he helped Brian move our old couch out to the curb. Luckily, it was snatched up within a few hours.

Our old couch was up against the wall where you see the now-blank space. I packed up the books and pottery from the black shelves, took the two big pictures off the walls and we moved the black shelves and the white table into the basement. Our plan for the new couch is to put it on an angle with the back facing the corner. If that arrangement doesn't work out, we will put the couch in the same place the old one was. 

I love this coffee table. It was my grandma's and it's made by Lane. It's a high-quality, solid (heavy!) piece of furniture. It's too big for our small living room though. Eventually, I want to move this coffee table downstairs into the family room and find a smaller coffee table for the living room. There's other plans I have for the living room too, but one step at a time.


Enjoy the rest of your week. Stay safe and healthy and wear your mask!

💓



12 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I enjoyed it all. I love the new macrame for your guest room. I also love that you have some spider plants (so do I) and a Willow Tree (I have a collection). Your trip to the town where Ground Hog Day was filmed looked like fun. You found some fun things and sometimes a day alone is just what the doctor ordered! I love the things you found and salvaged from your neighbor's home and how you are honoring her memory with them. I also love the state park you have so close by! So sorry about your kitty. We had a cat that had kidney problems. We loved that cat and felt bad when he passed. He is still a treasured memory for our family. Hope you enjoy the rest of the week and the weekend. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to macrame plant holders too! I am sorry to hear about your cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weather has been so lovely. I have enjoyed having the windows open every day.
    Sweet kitty. I love the picture of her in the shoe box. I hate when they aren't feeling well and they can't tell you how they truly feel. Saying prayers for her health.
    I can't wait to see your new couch in that space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that you are supporting small businesses and also taking care of the belongings your neighbor once cherished. The color of your new bowl is so pretty and looks nice with the gourds inside. I am old enough to remember macrame. When we bought our first house (1983) the realtor gifted us a macrame plant hanger that she had made. Funny to see how these trends come and go. Your wall hanging is much prettier than the old plant hangers or, perhaps, it is a fresh look for macrame. The driftwood addition is particularly lovely. My heart goes out to you regarding Clementine. We went through the same thing with our dog a few years ago. When the vet proposed the idea of doing the I.V.s at home I was pretty sure I couldn't do that. I was shocked that my husband volunteered. He often passes out when getting his blood drawn. We did it together (me holding the dog and him administering the IV) for many months. It did extend her life by about 9 months. The vet seemed surprised that she lasted that long. We knew upfront that it wasn't a cure.
    I look forward to seeing your new couch in it's new home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, I'm so sorry that Clementine is now at this stage. Yes, we've been through this with our cat and with a dachshund. Neither time could we go through with the process of doing it at home even though we brought home the supplies for it with our dachshund. We had to have the vet do it. With our cat, once a week served well for over a year and then even 3 days in a row didn't help and it was time to let him go. So try not to think about when once a week is not enough. The fluids really do help tremendously, hopefully for a long time.

    Your trip alone to Woodstock sounds like something you needed, time to wander around quietly. I love the pretty bird bath and the blue bowl reminds me of my old blue bowl I keep on top of the microwave. The sweet treasures you saved from a dumpster are a way to honor their owner's passing. I really like it that you expressed thankfulness for them. After my husband and his brother being executors of their sister's estate last summer, many things from her and their mother came into our home and our children's homes and I really do feel that caring for them and enjoying them is a way of being a good steward of their beloved possessions.

    I always like to see your pictures of that big maple as it goes through it's beautiful color change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing the beauty of what is around your area. That is so great to have that close to you. Sorry that Clementine is needing of more invasive treatament. I wish I lived closer to be able to help with the IV. Maybe you could find a nurse or a Vet tech near you that would help you with this. I know it is scary to think about learning how to do this. It is not as hard as you may think. It is probably the thought of having to do it more for you. Some Vet techs will even come in your house maybe for a small fee to do this once a week. Could they do a bolus of fluids under the skin instead of an IV. I know they have done that with animals that are dehydrated and then the fluid slowly absorbs into the veins. Not sure if he thought that could be an option for you. Have a good rest of the day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending my best as you figure out how to help Clementine. We just got two baby kittens and while they didn't want much to do with me for the first five days, we're into week 2, and they're all over me all the time. Makes me feel not so home-alone during the days now.
    Congrats on the new couch! It's fun to get new furniture.
    I love that you grabbed stuff from the dumpster at your neighbor's house. I know when we cleaned out each of my parents' homes, it felt like we were tossing and donating their lives and none of it mattered. It mattered very much, but we couldn't keep everything, and what was important to one of us, didn't matter to the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My most beloved cat ever had kidney disease, & eventually needed sub-q fluids. I hated doing it alone. It was too hard to hold him & keep the needle under the skin for an entire bag to drip in. My vet found a vet tech to come once a week for $20. I held my cat still & she did the procedure. This went on for at least 2 years. I would also give him a bowl of water from a can of tuna as a reward for added fluid intake. My cousin's cat who needed sub-q fluids three times a week was able to do it on her own. That cat was so chill. She sat on the toilet lid, hanging the bag from the shower curtain rod. He just sat in her lap for the whole bag. Have you tried it yet to see how she will respond to having the procedure? It's sad about your neighbor's belongings. I know they are just things, but it seems so disrespectful to the life she lived. I'm happy you were able to save a little. Best of luck with Clementine. This short procedure will extend her life. You will know you did all you could for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melanie, I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your photographs. I would have loved to been with you on your day's outing through the vintage tour. It looked like a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. This is my favorite time of the year. I love the feel of crispness in the air and enjoy the colors of fall.
    I wish that I had something positive to share about your beautiful cat. I give Butchy insulin twice everyday, but that is a quick fix. Having a pet stay still for the length of an IV doesn't sound like an easy task at all. My thoughts are with you sweet friend. Maybe someone reading this will have a helpful answer. I certainly hope so.
    God bless you,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie I really felt so touched by this post. I felt sad for the neighbor whose personal belongings were in the dumpster, although another part of me knows that these are just 'things' that we get attached to in our human lives and I'm sure she doesn't have any attachment to any of her possessions now that she has crossed to other side. But that was so sweet of you to send her thanks and think of her. I feel so bad about your precious Clementine and I wish i lived closer I would go over and try to help you. But I would try to find a vet tech and call around. Even a student in vet school who loves animals might do it for a small fee or just experience? Sending love,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melanie, I loved this post. I too collect things here and there from neighbors who have passed. It is my way of both showing respect for their life as well as keeping their memory alive. The macrame wall hanging is indeed special. Funny how stories make things so much more interesting. That is one of the reasons I so enjoy your blog. As for sweet Clementine , I hesitate to impose this on you, but I think you can do it. You and Brian are a beautiful team that has weathered the worst. Now the term ‘like herding cats” exists for a reason. There’s no denying that. But somehow I think you’ve got this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this post, I feel like I just had a nice visit at your home. Your day in Woodstock sounds like something I like to do occasionally. Lately, I've been puttering around our house, finding new things to dress it up for fall. I love the ladders and the crockery you came upon. That makes me sad about the lady's house, too. How nice that you will appreciate some of the things that she had. Funny how things cycle around. Not long ago, I went looking for a macrame plant hanger, wondering if they even make them anymore! I remember having macrame vests, bags, hangers, all kinds of things in the 70s. I'm sorry to hear about Clementine. I would have trouble administering a shot, too, so I'm not a good person to ask. I wonder if there's someone you know that would be better with those kinds of things? A nursing student, or young person who is good with animals? I'm at a loss:(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!