Wednesday, November 18, 2020

not just yet

I've seen Christmas decor all over social media since the beginning of November. I've always been one of those who don't decorate until after Thanksgiving. One holiday at a time. Growing up, I never knew anyone to decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving. Who can eat a turkey dinner and celebrate thankfulness for our food, family and friends with a Christmas tree twinkling in the background? It's just "bassackwards". Reminds me of the Sesame Street song that goes, "one of these things is not like the others; one of these things just doesn't belong." I think the onslaught of social media has pushed people to decorate earlier every year; a competition to be one step ahead.

But this year is different. There is no "normal". I hear people on Instagram saying that they need the cheer; that the bright lights and pretty Christmas tree make them happy. I totally understand that. Go with whatever makes you happy, especially this year. Christmas decorating isn't something that sparks joy in me: it's just another chore. So I'm waiting until I feel that Christmas spirit.

In the meantime, I do enjoy browsing the Christmas decor in independent stores. It's lovely and inspiring and I didn't have to do any of the work! One of my favorite local shops had just finished setting up their Christmas displays, so I went to take a peek last week.









I couldn't leave empty-handed and I'm a sucker for bottle brush trees, so these two came home with me. Mary, the shop owner, uses vintage materials to craft these trees. The red base on the white tree was part of a vintage chandelier from a restaurant in Chicago that closed. Mary said she had the chandelier for sale in her shop for a long time. It never sold. She took it apart and re-purposed the parts.


I received early Christmas cheer in the mail a couple of days ago, too. Kris from Junk Chic Cottage had a giveaway and I was one of the winners of these two wine bottle ornaments. Her note said no judgement from her if the wine didn't make it until Christmas. 😉


Back to Thanksgiving, what are you all doing this year? It'll be just the two of us here this year; we're staying home as we have some high-risk family members. I don't like turkey but Brian does, so we purchased a small frozen turkey breast at Trader Joe's. It has stuffing in the middle and is wrapped in phyllo dough. For sides, I'm making mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts with pecans, cranberry relish, and bourbon corn casserole. For dessert, I'll make a pumpkin pie. I know it sounds like a lot of food for the two of us, but we love Thanksgiving leftovers.

 

Whatever you choose to do for Thanksgiving, I wish you a safe and blessed one.
💓

12 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie! That's a cute shop! I'm glad that Thanksgiving is soon. I love it! I do like decorating for Christmas, but I'm happy to wait. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bottle brush trees are great! I don't decorate until the day after Thanksgiving. Your Thanksgiving menu sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just the four of us this year so that we don't risk my parents, as Anna isn't coming home until the 20th and since Mike travels for work, we have to be careful. It won't be the same but we will FaceTime with them and make the foods we usually have at their house.

    I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week already. This month flew by, surprisingly. I think it was that week of 70 degree weather that we got that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I am one of those that pushes Christmas decor before Thanksgiving. When I use to host Thanksgiving I did not decorate early but now that my daughter hosts Thanksgiving and took it over a few years back I feel I can get my Christmas up early. I have to say I have enjoyed the twinkle of the lights at night these past few days. With all the Covid it just feels good to have a little cheer early. I am glad you and Brian will enjoy a nice quiet Thanksgiving with all the trimmings. You are so right the left overs are the best. Have a good rest of the week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year I'm really scaling back because my back just isn't up to it. I've been this way a month now and I've got to stop doing so much. Scaring me a bit! I haven't done anything Christmasy. I hope people use good sense about not having gatherings. Our doctors and nurses are pushed to the limit already. Wear a mask, folks!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been enjoying the Christmas decorations in the stores, too. I haven't put anything up (I'm of the 'after Thanksgiving' school, too) but I may put my Christmas village up this weekend. I could use a little sparkle around here! Thanksgiving will be fairly quiet here. My dad and stepmom (our "cohort") might join us, otherwise it will be just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am planning to start putting up our trees this weekend. I do like to put the decorations early so that we can enjoy them for quite a while. I also send the Christmas cards out early - right after Thanksgiving. My parents never put up the Christmas tree as early as I do. I haven't been shopping much because the virus is out of control here in Utah and we are staying home as much as possible. Thanksgiving will be just my husband and I and our college son who still lives at home. I'm fine with that. I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanksgiving is Greg's favorite holiday, so we wait until after to decorate. We are putting up Christmas lights outside this weekend, though, while the weather holds.
    We still don't know how Thanksgiving will look. IF we have anyone here, it'll just be Jess and the kids. That's a big if.
    We had a virtual gathering last weekend with my family via Zoom. Florida, Texas, Iowa, and Nebraska all were represented. I love that we have been able to stay in touch during this time, but I miss them all terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been Christmas crafting, but not decorating. We usually wait until the day after Thanksgiving. However, last year since it was just us and the kids we did it Thanksgiving morning as we watched the parade on TV. Since our holiday will be the same this year, we'll probably just do that again...and eat our feast by the light of the tree. Your menu sounds delicious and your new trees are darling! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tagging along when you visit the cute shops in your area. Very nice bottle brush trees you found. I've been enjoying the glimpses of Christmas decor all over social media. I usually wait until after Thanksgiving to start decorating, but I can see how we are all craving comfort this year so spreading cheer early may be very welcome for many. Your Thanksgiving meal sounds yummy. I will be interested to know your thoughts on that turkey. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melanie ~ I haven't started Christmas decorating yet, but am getting in the mood to do so. Probably next week. I did have a nice Thanksgiving here by myself, dinner was one of the best I've ever made and left-overs are nice, plus some for Christmas dinner. Have a lovely Christmas month ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems we agree on many things. I don't generally decorate for Christmas until Thanksgiving passes, but if others enjoy, more power to them, especially this year. And we enjoyed our Thanksgiving leftovers for about four days, then out it went!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!