Friday, March 20, 2020

in the meantime


Hello friends, time for a break from vacation photos to show you a little bit of what's going on here. Hope you all are well and hanging in there as we all go through this Coronavirus epidemic together. I think together is the key word. Even though we can't physically be together because of self-quarantine, we can support each other emotionally right now.

As I was taking a walk the other day in my neighborhood ~ the only sunny day we've had all week ~ I came upon my neighbor-friend who was bundled up, sitting in the sunshine in her front yard. We talked for a bit about how much this isolation sucks. That it's ridiculous we can't even give each other a hug. That we can't watch the news or go on Facebook often because it fuels our anxiety. That we feel like we're living in an alternate universe. Then I turned and saw snowdrops under her pine tree. She said they weren't there before; they only recently appeared. I told her they were our little bit of joy that we found in the day. Those are the things we have to look for right now.


My lilac bush is budding. Another joy.


 I was trying to explain to an online friend recently why I needed to stock up often on grocery items, especially fresh produce. Brian works 12-hour shifts in the emergency services field. He is not allowed to leave his work place to go out and get food. That means he has to bring three meals ~ breakfast, lunch and dinner ~ to work. When he works three 12-hour shifts in a row, that means nine meals he has to prepare ahead of time! This is what our fridge looked like the other night after he was done packaging up his meals. And yes, I do feel blessed just looking at this photo, as it means we have access to an abundance of food.


A local vintage shop is moving their current location and so the owner is selling certain items at excellent prices. She's been posting photos on Instagram of what she's selling and when I saw this red bench, it called my name. She warned me it "needed work", but I didn't care, because it's going to stay outside. Once the weather warms up a bit, I'm going to move this into my side garden. It won't be for sitting on; I'm going to use it for potted plants.


You can see where a piece is missing. And one of the arms on the bench falls off, but I think it can be screwed back on. If not, no big deal. With a little bit of clean up and potted flowers and plants, I think this piece will add some charm to the garden.


This vintage metal plant hanger was the other thing I picked up from the shop. See that ugly bench in the background? That's where the red bench is going. I'm not sure yet where the permanent place for the plant hanger will be. To be determined once spring yard clean up starts!


I'm still working on decorating Brian's office (what used to be Tim's bedroom). I admire those of you who can put together a room in a weekend, or even a week. Or a month! I found this window in my basement the other day and I thought it might look nice above the black cube. Thing is, before we hung the window, I had just purchased the lamp on top of the black cube: That's why the plastic is still on the shade. The lamp looked great there before the window was hung. (That little chick is not staying on the window shelf. I just stuck it there when I was working in the room.) 😉


But now that the window is hung, I'm not so sure about the lamp. Is it okay that it comes above the shelf of the window? We really need lighting in this space because of the chair next to this piece of furniture. I guess I could put a floor lamp between the cube and the chair, but this room is so small, I don't want anything else on the floor. If I buy a smaller lamp that would go under the shelf of the window, that lamp wouldn't be big enough to cast enough reading light. Thoughts? Do you like the current lamp where it is?



A recent purchase ~ a little decorating pick-me-up ~ was this bird pillow for the entryway bench. I found it at Walmart, of all places. I think it's cheery and perfect for spring.


I've also been working on a little spring decorating.



The daffodils in the blue Mason jar will look so pretty once they burst open.



 I have my Easter decor spread out on the guest bed, trying to decide what I'm going to do with it. I'm not much into holiday decorating anymore. Most of it will probably end up going back into the storage container.


 I'll probably do a little vignette on top of the dresser and maybe on the kitchen table or shelves, but that's it.


 Thank you all so much for your friendship and kind comments. They really make my day. Your comments come through my email account and I've noticed there's some of you where your email shows up as a "no-reply blogger". So if you ask me a question in the comments, I can't answer you privately. Or, if you're new to my blog and leave a comment, I can't email you back to thank you for visiting. How do you know if you're a no-reply blogger, or what to if you want to fix this? That's too much (and too techy!) for me to answer here. Your best bet would be to Google it and find a site that can directly answer those questions and offer help.

Until next time, wishing you all peace and good health.
💓

17 comments:

  1. What about a wall sconce by the chair?
    It's been a few years since I got to spend a whole 40 hours in California for my nephew's wedding, but I, too, was in awe of the foliage and trees. We were in Malibu, right on the ocean - very different from the prairie of the Great Plains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a good place for a wall sconce, especially since I rearrange things often!

      Delete
  2. Your red bench will look so great in the garden - that pop of color will be sweet! I think I would raise the window a bit so the lamp would fit where it is. (of course, holes to patch when you rehang the window). I like your cute Easter things and I love the fabulous quilt on your guest bed! So pretty! and I love, love, love your entry bench- really terrific! Glad you are staying safe! Thanks to Brian for his emergency services work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raising the window wouldn't work - it's at eye, where it's supposed to be. Thank you for your input though!

      Delete
  3. Melanie, I knew about Tim's work but had not thought about him having to take so many meals with him. What a good thing for him that you love to cook healthy meals. That refrigerator organized for his needs is quite impressive. God bless him in his essential work, these first responders and health care workers are our real heroes now.

    Never a better time to nest and putter around the house and garden than now. I love your red bench! It will look charming in your garden. I wish I could offer some decorating advise about the lamp but those decisions come so slow to me. I sit and stare at a space until an answer to something here at home finally might occur to me. I do so admire people who can immediately tell what is wrong with something and what it needs. I know from other areas you've tweaked that you will figure it out and beautifully.

    On our 5th day here at home but RH did brave the senior shopping time at our grocery store this morning and was surprised to be able to get almost all on my list, broccoli totally out of stock. I am actually enjoying this time at home. I think you were the one who posted on FB about calling this a retreat and that's the way I look at it. But then I could easily be a hermit anyway so it's no great loss to me to stay home.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that chippy red bench! The lamp is really nice. My eye went to it right away. I think if you put something interesting on the shelf, it won't be noticeable. My daffodils are buried under 10 inches of snow right now:( Not a very nice way to welcome spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think since the lamp is to read by, maybe get a little taller lamp. That may be better than the top of the shade almost even with the window sill. Your new pieces are wonderful! God bless you both. Thanks for the photos & chat. 😼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it does indeed need a taller lamp, so I tried that yesterday. Unfortunately, the taller lamp was then too high to be a sufficient reading lamp.

      Delete
  6. I love the bench, it is perfect for the garden. And I too am grateful I have food in my fridge and my pantry. Now I also have a bored 26 year old working from home who eats his body weight in snacks everyday, so I keep returning to the store. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh that chippy bench is amazing! Love it. Terry is taking meals into the firehouse with it being long days over 14 hours some days for him. The guys cook and offer him meals but he likes to take our leftovers and my refrigerator looks similar to yours. Just glad the grocery stores are staying open. I hate that they say when people are stocking up for the next few weeks it hoarding. I feel it is less times I have to go out and risk exposure so I did stock up on lots of things that I normally would not buy in bulk. Hope you are managing with the shut in feelings. I have been taking Buddy for walks when we are not having all the rain. Just helps to take in some fresh air. Take care. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying to show something to decorate every day on my blog by shopping my apartment. Got to do something with ourselves. I think the lamp looks okay with the window. Only thing is that the lamp is really modern looking to me and kind of clashes with vintage window a little.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mixing styles, in this case, modern with vintage.

      Delete
  9. Love your red bench...it will look wonderful in your garden! I've been baking a lot and went through my clothes today...two bags for donating. It's a good time to get lots of little projects done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bench and metal plant hanger. The lamp is pretty. Have you tried setting it on the case or something else to raise it up? Think it would look even beter layered in front of window. Love the way the window in the lr is lower, but that would entail filling in holes in the wall to lower it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That case is a record player, so I can't put anything on top of it.

      Delete
  11. I love that bench.

    I think you should live with the lamp for awhile. Time will tell you that you like it or hate it there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is looking very springy in your house, Melanie! That red bench will be amazing in your garden, no doubt! Good find!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!