Sunday, July 10, 2016

the little paris bookshop ~ review



Monsieur Perdu runs a bookstore on a floating barge, using his intuitive feelings to sell "just the right book" to the brokenhearted. But the only person Perdu can't mend is himself, after the love of his life left him with just a letter - which he never opened.

I had high hopes for this book ~ after all, the plot sounds promising and a little romantic. However, the story and writing ended up being so dull and overly-sweet, that I had to slog through the book to make it to the end.

If you're looking for a good story about bookstores, instead I'd recommend 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff; Parnassus on Wheels and The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley; and Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.

I received The Little Paris Bookshop from Blogging for Books for my honest, personal opinion review.



9 comments:

  1. I appreciate an honest review. This sounds charming to me, too, but I think I'll skip it. Thank you for redirecting me to 84, Charing Cross Road. It's been on my TBR list before, but somehow it isn't now. Another good one is The Storied Life of AJ Fikry
    by Gabrielle Zevin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to find a good book sometimes, isn't it? This one did sound promising, what a wonderful premise. Too bad. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for an honest review. I've read some very positive reviews on Amazon only to find the book was terrible.

    i hope you win my giveaway, Mel. I do it the very utilitarian way...close my eyes and draw my finger down the list of comments!!! ha ha!

    Loving these mild temps but look out tomorrow!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate reading a book that I don't love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always appreciate an honest review. I often read them on Amazon and I have to wonder whose back pocket these people are in? Some of the worst books I've ever read came with the most glowing reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title and premise sound so promising. Thanks for the review. When I start a book that doesn't hold my interest, I usually skim through and get to the end just to see what happens or, if I really just don't care what happens, I put it down and forget it. I am going to look into the others you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, when you started telling about the story-line I was getting very interested . . . too bad it didn't fulfill it's promising premise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a shame. It has such an alluring title. I've read and enjoyed 84, Charing Cross Road. I'll add the others to my book list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!