Tuesday, July 19, 2016

celebration time

We had Tim's graduation party on Saturday ~ what a wonderful and exhausting time! We had not thrown a big party in years. You tend to forget how much prep work there is. And how trashed your house is afterwards. I definitely couldn't have done it by myself - hubby helped a lot. All worth it though to gather with family and friends to celebrate a special achievement. I didn't make any fancy displays - that's not my forte - but made one simple one on the buffet in the living room. Clementine wasn't part of the original design plan, but I think she adds just the right je ne sais quoi, non? 


We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. The sun was shining and the temps were only in the 70's with low humidity. We set up a tent in the back yard with two tables and chairs under it. There was more seating on the patio, so plenty of room for people to sit outside.


Tim (the bearded one!) and some of his friends on the patio.


My sister brought over her corn hole game (others call it "bags") and we set it up on the north side of the house. My cousin's son loved running around in this area and using the slippery boards as a slide. ;-) I love the look of pure joy on his face.


One of Tim's graduation presents from my mom to Tim was his Papa's Longines Swiss watch. Tim was only seven years old when his Papa passed away and he took it very hard. After Papa's death, Tim even had an imaginary friend for awhile named Tommy. (My dad's name was Tom.)


Grandmom and grandson hugs.


So, what next? Tim moves back home at the end of the month and is still looking for a full-time job. It'll be a big adjustment for all of us, but I'm feeling positive.



18 comments:

  1. How fun! There's nothing like these family celebrations. Congratulations to your son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking Son! Congratulations to him and to all of your family! The yard looks beautiful and I envy that fabulous weather! Looks like it was a great party. The caption about his Papa made smile. That watch is such a dear gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad all worked out so beautifully for the grand celebration, and the weather cooperating made it even better. Tim will, I'm certain, be a very successful man in the coming years - I wish him the best of luck always.

    Hope you are feeling better Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful time to share with family and friends!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to all!! A graduation deserves a big celebration and a special gift! Good luck to your son. I am sure his future will be fabulously bright!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like it was a great celebration, Mel! How great our weather worked out for once! I really love how you set up your buffet...so many accolades Tim has accumulated. And the significance of the watch...I really love that.

    I know it will be an adjustment when Tim moves back home. I've had all 4 of mine come and go---we've called it the revolving door. Set boundaries right off. And they have to clean up after themselves (my biggie!!)

    Stay cool...97 on Friday!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was a beautiful day! We always played those sort of games when visiting my Aunt in Michigan. Congrats to Tim! A very touching gift from you mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you are so proud of him!! What a lovely party and the gift from your Mom brought tears to my eyes.
    hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful celebration and my heart melted a little bit when you told about Grandpa's watch . . . that was a very special gift and one that he will treasure forever . . . maybe even pass on to his son some day, in the far off future :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to Tim and it looks like you had the perfect party and day! We call it Corn Hole here too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to Tim! It looks like you had a fun celebration. His grandfather's watch a priceless gift.

    Enjoy the rest of your week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Tim!!!! A wonderful achievement and a great celebration. The gift of the watch bought a lump to my throat, that really is very special and precious and moving. I hope that whatever the future brings for Tim - and you! - it is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like the perfect day for a party! Congratulations to Tim! I'm sure you'll enjoy having him home for a little longer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was a beautiful weekend weather and happy it cooled off for your celebrations. It will be an adjustment but you'll all have time to ease into it. Hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like a wonderful party, Tim is very lucky to have such a wonderful family.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to Tim! It looks like a special celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely day! Congratulations again to Tim!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!