Tuesday, July 5, 2016

summer, unfolding
















With the cooler, less humid weather we've been having lately, a lot of our time has been spent outdoors. The patio is the perfect summer spot for morning coffee, sitting and chatting with family and friends, and dinners el fresco. Flowers are lush this time of year, with phlox, lamb's ear and hydrangea now blooming, and purple coneflower, black-eyed susan and joe pye weed all about to burst into bloom. We had a two-day visit with Tim and that was filled with local dining on the river, movies, card games and errands. Hard to believe he'll be moving back home in under four weeks!

Brian painted our front door a cheery yellow and the side panel a crisp white. I did my part by picking out the paint colors, scraping the stray paint off the glass, and doing the touch-up paint work. We're a pretty good team. It's amazing how a little paint can transform a space. The brighter colors go well with the light gray siding and brighten up the entire front of the house. The door and side panel were originally a dark stain. I remember when we first had this door installed and the contractor asked what color I had in mind. I told him I really liked painted doors instead of stained, and that front doors looked best with colors that added a punch of color. He looked at me like I was crazy and said that a dark stain would look best against the light gray siding. I thought that because he was a contractor he knew best, so I let him go ahead and stain the door and side panel. I did like it at first, but eventually I realized it was too dark and formal-looking for our house. Goes to show it's best to trust your gut. Go with what you think is best.

This weekend was also a good time for a relaxing day trip, slow-walking up and down the flower-laden streets, popping into interesting shops, and more outdoor dining. 

Not all was fun and games this weekend though ~ on Sunday, we worked for five hours straight in the basement, cleaning out a huge space and reorganizing the things we kept. We bagged up all the unneeded and unwanted stuff, packed the back seat and trunk of our car to the hilt, drove to the Goodwill donation center, and dropped it all off. Now this cleared-out space is ready for Tim to drag all his stuff home in a few weeks. 

Life is busy ~ and good.


15 comments:

  1. I love the color you chose for your door. We painted ours with a pop of color (after I spent way too much time deliberating which color) and it makes the whole house seem to 'smile.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been too hot here for outdoor fun :( Love the yellow on your front door! Enjoy your summer!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely...and wow, what an accomplishment. I try to hit Goodwill once a week. I drop my donation, cover my eyes and run out!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house looks wonderful, so inviting. I did that with my closet a few weeks ago. I got rid of so much yarn and craft things I was not using and whisked them off to Goodwill before I could think twice.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gardens are amazing. I want to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee and a book in that sitting area! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have an abundance of plants! Let me know if you ever plan to thin your hostas, I'll take some---that's how I got most of mine! ;-)

    I love that you and Brian did all that work in your basement. I have been trying to coerce our kids into helping but it's hard when they have their own homes and chores, upkeep, etc. Anyway, I love your seating area, I'd love to spend time there plowing through some of my books!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your outdoor spaces are just charming !! lots of lovely blooms and perfect seating areas and just the right touches of color here and there...love it! :) I had to laugh at the ending...uh oh...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing all your tidbits of life, Melanie!! Your home and gardens look amazing!! Your flowers are on track with mine, even if your veggies are way ahead - weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Summer is unfolding beautifully for you! Glad that you are continuing to do so well with the clearing out, that is another great achievement to have so much to donate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cheery door. You were right from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your yellow door is wonderful!
    It's so much work to organize and clear out so much stuff . . . you are an inspiration. What to come help me?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the yellow door..it was great when the humidity and heat broker..but its back and should cool off tomorrow. Your garden look so inviting and a great place to send time with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems like you are very happy with SUMMER! I like your yellow door too. I am always cleaning out and taking things to the Goodwill. Wow...you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right, Melanie. Your painted door looks great and, more important, it makes YOU happy (if not your contractor!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some people just don't believe in painting wood, but I think the yellow door looks great. Everything is looking so lush and lovely in your corner of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!