Monday, March 10, 2014

teaser monday








 The sun was shining today and the temperature actually got up to 50 degrees. Let me tell you ~ it felt so wonderful after months of frigid air, that I turned off the heat in the house and opened a few windows. I was constantly in motion with doing work around the house, that I wasn't even cold. The cats were in all their glory too, sitting in the windows and sniffing the fresh air. I went outside later to take a walk and to see if Snow Mountain had diminished at all. All of you in warm climates who think snow is pretty - well, it is when it first falls and the earth is blanketed in fluffy, perfect whiteness. But the reality near the end of winter is huge, ugly  piles of snow covered with all the dirt and rocks from the road that are kicked up by the snowplows.
   
My lilac bush has buds! I actually discovered them last month. I swear, I don't ever remember seeing this bush with buds before April. Maybe it's confused. After all, it's supposed to snow again tomorrow night. And this is how March in Illinois goes ~ sun, clouds, snow, rain, warmth, cold. We have one day of hope and then it's taken away as swiftly as it came.

Which will be the case with Tim. I'll be driving him back to school tomorrow already. He has a lot of studio work to do with his photography and print making before school starts back up next week.  I've been enjoying having him at home again, even though he sleeps until noon and is gone immediately after dinner to friend's houses. When he's home it means more housework, cooking, laundry and the dishwasher sometimes running twice a day, but that just means I'm being a mom. The kitties are basking in his presence and piling up in his bed. They'll miss him, too.

18 comments:

  1. We had glorious weather today, too. That's a cute photo of the cats. I see they are 'moochers' too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are! They took one whiff of Tim's steak fajitas and they turned into little beggars.

      Delete
  2. Our temp was in the 40's today and I had windows open, too! It just felt so good after months of below zero weather. It's a big ugly mess outside, but it smells like spring. I even saw a patch of grass peeking out near the sidewalk! I can't believe your lilac has buds already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing to see the ground once again?! I wouldn't call it grass yet here - it's just a flat brown mess under all that snow.

      Delete
  3. Melanie, I hadn't realized that you have THREE cats and they're all ADORABLE!

    I feel for you frozen folks; it's been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong winter, indeed! In spite of that, how amazing that your lilacs are sprouting, yay! I get excited about such signs of life as we planted two bushes two years ago and already one has died. I will not see blooms on the other this spring as I am scheduled to leave for Toronto this Thursday, but will indulge in bounties of them and my beloved peonies, while strolling around my sister's quaint neighbourhood of ginger bread houses and English cottage gardens!

    Looking forward to your lilacs, too! Have a lovely day!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, three cats...Zippo, Clementine, and Monkey! I am so excited to hear that you'll be coming back home to Canada for awhile! Safe travels, Poppy.

      Delete
  4. I do declare that I see bits of grass peeking through the snow!! Can it be that some melting has happened!! I hope that your lilac blooms beautifully for you this year!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is brown grass! However, getting more snow tonight into tomorrow morning. :-(

      Delete
  5. Well, Melanie, it's Tuesday morning here , and the snowplow has already rumbled past my window twice. Just hovering on freezing.But yesterday was nice, warm and sunny! We went to town, donating and thrifting! or, after the purge, the splurge! And this fresh fall of snow covers up the dirty stuff!
    Your cats[and your son] are adorable. Your kitchen is so cozy. I hope the driving was okay for you taking Tim back. We had to cancel our driving plans. Guess I'll start some seeds and look at pictures of gardens. Keep the faith! Rinske

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what? I didn't have to take Tim back to school after all. We found and bought him a car today, so he was able to drive back himself!

      Delete
  6. It is a beautiful day here in central Ontario as well. Tomorrow though it is supposed to snow again. I am trying to make myself enjoy this because come mid July when the humidity is stifling, I will be wishing for snow.
    You are right about the ugliness of the end of winter. Nothing pretty about it. The snow starts to melt and all you see is the litter everywhere that accumulated during the winter.
    I am so ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the litter all over is another thing. I can't believe all the garbage on the roadsides. People are so ignorant and rude.

      Delete
  7. I know you are glad to see those buds. I have green shoots all over here. I love your cats (Wish I had three). xo, olive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send some of your spring weather my way! I love my three kitties so much...three seems like the perfect amount. Sometimes I think I'd like to have more, but then I realize that'd be a lot of work with all the feeding and cleaning cat boxes and cleaning cat hair off furniture, etc....and then, not to mention the cost of the food and vet bills! I feed my cats all-natural food so it's quite expensive.

      Delete
  8. Mother Nature is such a tease...I don't think the snow will last too long this time. The sun is really warm, when it's out, and the dirty piles of snow will soon be gone with the rains that are sure to come. Think spring...it will come! Love, Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see them sloowwwly diminishing now - hooray!

      Delete
  9. Hi Melanie! I'm stopping by from Holly Crescent Cottage today. You left a sweet comment on my blog a couple of weeks ago, and after having wrist surgery, I'm just now getting back to checking out my comments and looking at some new blogs. I love yours! I love it when people include their animals on their blogs - mine are such a big part of my life, I couldn't imagine leaving them out! I'm going to add you to my favorites and follow you. By the way, that big pile of ugly snow - my son calls it "snirt" - snow mixed with dirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie - I'm so glad you like my blog and that you're one of my newest followers. I agree with you about our pets - if they're a big part of our life, how could we leave them out of our blog? I love the term, "snirt". That's great. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!