Monday, January 2, 2012

some new decor for the new year

I'd been looking for tall, skinny, matching lamps for the console table in the living room
for a long time and had checked outall the usual sources -
department stores, big box stores,HomeGoods, TJ Maxx, and different online sites,
  all to no avail. This weekend, however, I was in Hobby Lobby and while
browsing, I spied these two red lamps. At first, I wasn't sure about them
and almost passed them up.
Then I figured I may as well try them, and if they didn't work, I could always return
them, right?
Well, turns out I love them! I think they look perfect.
Who would've thunk?? 
Living room lamps from Hobby Lobby!
Just goes to show you that you have to think outside the box sometimes.

I love the soft glow they emit at night...
And the deep red color of the shades during the day.
Oh - you see that green and gold pitcher and two matching glasses on the top, 
middle of the console table? I had totally forgotten about them. I found them
tucked away in a cabinet down in the basement. They belonged to my grandmother.
I'm assuming they are for some kind of liquor?
I don't know, but they sure are pretty!
I also found this pretty little baker's rack while I was at Hobby Lobby.
It's much more useful (and prettier) than the painted red wooden chair I previously
had in that same space. It holds a lot of my cookbooks.
I plan on updating that little lampshade. I was thinking of hot-gluing a band of
ribbon along the bottom of the shade, maybe with pom-poms.
Any other (simple) ideas?
I also hate that you can see the lamp cord going across the wall. I have this "thing"
about visible cords. Drives me nuts!


I change the plates on the vertical plate rack all the time, depending on my mood, 
the season, a particular holiday, or heck - simply because it's Friday. 
Or I didn't have hormonal night sweats in my sleep the previous night.
Anyhoo, also at Hobby Lobby, I also found the white and black
monogrammed plates. I wanted four of them to use in a typical place setting, 
but they only had three left with the initial "R".
You can't see it in this photo, but I have one other "R" plate at the top of the rack.
I'll go back to Hobby Lobby in a couple of weeks to see if they have any more of these plates in stock.



Here's to new beginnings...even if it's just some household decor for now.


4 comments:

  1. The lamps are perfect, Melanie! Everything looks great. Love the pop of red in your kitchen items. I love Hobby Lobby! Whenever I visit my aunt and cousin in Michigan, we go there and I've always said if I move back and buy a small little house, I will decorate with thrifted items and Hobby Lobby (the prices are so reasonable). Best wishes to you for a great week, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new lamps! I love black so I think they are perfect and set off the warm red shades so well. The rack is great and is great to house your cookbooks. That R plate is fabulous and looks especially nice set off by the red plates in the plate rack with it. I will remember your philosophy of 'just because it is Friday' when I keep changing things. For now, I am working on my winter decorations today.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those red lamps are perfect! Wish we had a Hobby Lobby here!! And I love the rack and the initial plate (I'm a sucker for things with initials on them) - and love the bird plates...and want to go shopping with you!!
    Altho I think we would be fighting - LOL!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those lamps are cute! HL has great home decor stuff. Fortunately the closest one is a bit of a drive from me otherwise I'd always be there!

    Love the little baker's rack. It's perfect in that spot and looks like it offers tons of storage. I think your shade would look cute with some red pompom trim glued to the bottom (but then I think everything looks better with pompom trim)!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!