Monday, May 9, 2011

the calendar said it was mother's day

My mom is pretty typical of most most mothers in that she says she doesn't want or need anything for Mother's Day. But, who can NOT give their mom a little something, right?

My mom loves herbs, so I bought three of her favorites and planted them in terra cotta pots. To gussy them up a bit, I ordered hammered silver antique spoons as herb markers from WoodenHive on etsy.





I placed the potted herbs in a cardboard box and put them on the floorboard of my car. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I lifted that cardboard box out of the car to give to my mother, the box broke and dirt and plants flew all over the back seat and floorboard! What a mess.  And, then it just didn't feel right handing over partially-filled pots and clumps of herbs and saying, "Happy Mother's Day" - and telling my mom that I hoped she had a bag of potting soil so she could fix the plants.

 *sigh*

My pretty little mama...doesn't she look great for almost 71-years old?



As for my own Mother's Day, it was pretty uneventful. When Brian got home from work, we worked out in the yard, planting some native prairie plants and grasses, though Brian did most of the work. (I have three herniated disks in my back and bending over and planting only intensifies the pain.) Sweet hubby also vacuumed all that spilled dirt out of my car.

Gifts of service.

We ordered Chinese food for dinner, and then Tim was home from work. He gifted me with a beautiful card and a pair of silver and turquoise earrings that he shopped for and picked out himself.

Man-child...


Truthfully though, I was glad when the day was over and my head hit the pillow...Mother's Day will always be bittersweet for me since losing my oldest son, Phil 19 months ago. And Brian still takes holidays much harder than I do, so he has a hard time "celebrating" Mother's Day, even though it's for me, if that makes sense. Like I told him though, it's just a Hallmark holiday anyway, so it was just another day for me. Doesn't really matter what the calendar says.

My beautiful "Pip" three years ago...a Mama's heart never stops loving.




3 comments:

  1. Oh my, yesterday was a hard day for you. Sending you hugs.
    Tim sounds like a wonderful young man. And I know your Momma will love her herbs and those fantastic spoon markers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you and Tim yesterday. I know your mama loved her plants. I love those spoons! What a really cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your loss. What a devastation.

    I do love the spoon markers, and thanks so much for listing my blog on yours. I am following you now!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!