Friday, December 30, 2022

popping in after christmas

A quick hello...

We were supposed to spend Christmas Eve with extended family, but that was cancelled due to a couple of people having Covid. Instead, Brian and I went to my aunt and uncle's house and we had a fun-loving time talking and snacking in the cozy family room next to the fire ~ where Dandy the Pug snuggled up next to Brian. We later moved upstairs to play board games around the dining room table.


On Christmas morning, I made my traditional breakfast casserole and we ate that along with almond kringle from a famous Danish bakery in Racine, WI. (Our local Trader Joe's carries it!) So much sugar and overeating at the holidays; back to our healthy eating as of January 1st.

We opened our gifts to each other and later we video-chatted with Tim and opened gifts that way, too. Would've been a million times better in person, of course, but grateful for this technology.

As always, missing our oldest son, Philip who passed away in 2009. This was our 14th Christmas without him.


How was your Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate in December)?
I know the holidays can be hard and perhaps not happy or joyful ~ for various reasons: Thinking of those loved ones who have passed away, old family hurts, missing out-of-state family or friends...the holidays can dredge up painful hurts. It's OK to acknowledge those feelings, too. Love and blessings to you all.

Hoping to writing an end-of-year post tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie. Yes, Christmas can be a hard time. Our family is not all together and two of our children don't speak to us right now, so that is painful and makes the holiday not as happy as all of the Norman Rockwell paintings portray. This Christmas was good, and we did get to see some of our grandchildren right before Christmas and then chat with them on the phone Christmas day. That was nice. Also, our youngest, Josh has been here with us all week. Thank you for acknowledging that in the midst of all of the expectations of joy, there is a lot of hidden heartache. I am so glad that you got together with your aunt and uncle. I know they probably enjoyed having you there. It's time to move on into the new year and hope for good things to come. Thanks for this post. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years back I had to make a conscious effort to let go of the 'old' holidays and look for new ways to celebrate. That has helped, and while it's never as magical as the days when the kids were little, we've had some good ones. We didn't see any of our kids -- except through FaceTime with the boys -- but had a nice time with friends and other family members. My niece stayed with us, and my dad and stepmom came for Christmas day. Still, it seems the 'empty chairs' at the table loom so much bigger during the holidays, doesn't it? Wish you and Brian a very happy new year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo of Brian with Dandy the pug. I absolutely love that name. Even though Covid derailed your plans, it sounds like you had a nice Christmas.

    Sending you so much love. I miss you. Let's get together more in 2023. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you know me. The holidays are just another day of the week. I guess I've fallen back to the way things were when I was growing up, as that was their way to deal with holidays. They simply ignored them really. I at least decorate, but beyond that, I'm sitting here on New Year's Eve typing a comment!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!