Thursday, June 11, 2020

outdoor before and after

Hello, friends!

 We recently had a lot of hardscaping done in the front of our house and I thought I'd show you the before and after photos. 

Our driveway was in terrible shape, as you can see by this photo. It was beyond repair and sealcoating. It needed to be dug out and replaced with new asphalt.


Once the old asphalt was taken out, a layer of gravel was put down.


Our old sidewalk leading from the driveway to the front of the house was dug out, too. You can see in this photo from last summer, how the sidewalk wasn't level anymore and was leaning into the ground.


After the sidewalk was dug out, we also had the contractor extend the gutter downspouts on the front of the garage with PVC piping. He then ran the pipes underground (the lawn had to be dug up) and into the swale in front of our house. Same thing was done on the other side of the garage. Previously, when it rained, the water from the downspouts would pool by the garage and the water would sometimes go under the garage door and get in our garage.


Framing for the sidewalk going in. Instead of the sidewalk having sharp angles like it did before, I wanted it to have a curve.


The finished sidewalk! We also chose to have the sidewalk flared where it meets the first riser of our porch. 

We bought fountain grasses and solar lights at Home Depot and put those along the sidewalk. But silly us...we put grass seed in the dirt in-between the fountain grasses, forgetting that we would need to mow the grass or use a weed whacker ~ without whacking the plants! So, I don't know what we're going to do now. I also think we need to add some kind of edging along the sidewalk on both sides so that dirt doesn't get all over the sidewalk. Live and learn!


Another thing we chose to do differently was the brush strokes on the concrete. The contractor did make traditional horizontal brush strokes in the middle of the sidewalk, but then he asked me what I thought of brush strokes going down the sides of the sidewalk, following the curve. He started to show me what it'd look like in the wet cement and I told him to go for it. I'm glad I did. I think it gives boring concrete a more interesting look.


Brian's been working very hard getting our yard on both sides of the driveway back to normal after the ground being all torn up from installation of the underground gutter pipes. He had to level the ground, pull out all the weeds, put on some fresh top soil, sprinkle grass seed, and then he laid some fresh straw and netting over the entire area, as suggested by the local landscaping company.

Have a beautiful weekend!


16 comments:

  1. Everything looks really nice and I love your pretty yellow front door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie,
    Everything looks so great. I love the way you curved the sidewalk. It is amazing how a little change like this can make a big difference. The pvc piping taking the downspout water to the street was a great idea. Happy Friday and have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so nice!! I bet you just sit there and look at it every single day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! I like they way you curved the walkway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that curved sidewalk. It is a great feeling when a project comes out even better than the way you first pictured it! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I love the curvy sidewalk and it all looks so welcoming the way you've landscaped. We get water in our garage, too, and I dread having to have it fixed. But it sure gets messy:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a difference these things made. Bricks would look nice lined up along the sides of your sidewalk, but I don't know what you'd do about the curve. You'll think of something. Check Pinterest.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m happy for you, these are wonderful improvements. They are good looking and your safer too, I expect the crooked sidewalk could of become a fall hazard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so beautiful, I love the curves it adds so much to the walkway. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of you improvements look so nice! It is a big job, but well worth it. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a nice improvement. I know you are enjoying the new look. Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is something so welcoming about a curved sidewalk leading to the front door. I think you made a great choice with that decision. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melanie, your project was a lot of work, but so worth it, it's charming. I love that you curved the sidewalk it created an inviting little stroll to the door. I also noticed the cheerful yellow door and the little table to match. It makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks fabulous! Great job! (p.s., I'm back to blogging after a 9 mo. hiatus!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks lovely, Melanie! Don't you love it when you get to cross things off your to do list!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks beautiful! Very welcoming. Reading your post is good background for me. I have always lived in apartments but dream of having a house one day :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!