Thursday, June 18, 2020

patio time

One thing I love about this time of year is spending time on the patio. It's a peaceful spot to have morning coffee or tea, a relaxing spot in the late afternoon with a magazine or book, and of course, we have dinner out here often, too. Though these past few days have been too hot to do much hanging out here past morning.

This path on this side of the house is lined with perennials and is fun to dress up with potted annuals for color. I wanted to paint the ladder this year, but Brian likes it as is, so I left it alone.


It's hard to see some of the details from the overall photo above, so here's some close-ups. This is on the right side of the path as you're walking towards the patio, though I took this photo coming back down the path.


I love this red bench I got at a vintage shop for $5 a few months ago. It's not sturdy enough to sit on, but it looks nice in the gardens.


Looking back at the bench area from the patio.


With living in an area where we're surrounded by neighbors, I love that we have this space carved out for privacy. The only thing I detest - and that I've mentioned on this blog probably every summer - is the neighbor's mulberry tree. It's already started dropping green berries on the patio. That means within the next week, ripened berries are going to start dropping by the thousands. They not only fall all over the patio, but the furniture, in my plant pots, into the hostas, and all along the path leading up to the patio. They are mushy and rot quickly, attracting flies. They also stain everything, so I have to move my patio furniture up against the house. And they ruin my hostas. 

Friday edit: Some of you had commented or emailed me to let me know we can trim the neighbor's trees that hang onto our property. We are aware of this and have done so several times in the past years. But it's complicated with both the neighbor and the mulberry tree itself. I will give details in my next post. 


I have this bicycle at the end of the patio, behind the settee. This is my first "real" bicycle from childhood. I got it for my 8th birthday in 1970. An original made-in-Chicago Schwinn. I love using it now as garden decor. When these tiger lilies bloom, it looks so pretty around the bike.


There's the bike in the background. 🌞


The warm evenings are magical...


Do you have an outdoor space to enjoy some quiet time?



11 comments:

  1. Love your sweet place to sit and enjoy nature. Those hostas are wonderful. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely private oasis you have created! Too bad about the neighbor's tree - no way to work out a compromise trim? - I imagine you've tried! Hope you get to enjoy many happy hours in your pretty yard! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved what I call your hosta path! It's amazing how just a few weeks ago it wasn't nearly as full of plants as it is now. I love a secret garden feel and that's what your garden looks like. All of your pretty plant stands add so much to the garden too and I love that red bench. You were so smart to hang onto your childhood Schwinn bike! I bet it means a lot to you. Your white wicker patio furniture is lovely but I hate to think of you having to move them out of the way of the mulberries falling. I imagine you've already considered every possibility of dealing with the problem and I guess it's too large to go out in the middle of the night with loppers and cut back the branches that hang over your yard. Has the neighbor ever discussed the problem with you? Does it look anywhere near dying?

    I do love the patio we have under two large trees but it's not as secret as it was before RH took the loppers to some low hanging branches. I wanted for it to be a hidden area but the funny man wanted to be able to stand up straight when he walked to it. Like your Brian with the ladder we sometimes have to humor our guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your patio looks so inviting! Can't you ask your neighbor if you can trim the branches of his tree that are hanging over your patio?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The patio looks awesome I can see why you like to be out there when it is not blasted hot. Love that sweet red bench too.
    Happy Friday and have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden and patio are just beautiful, Melanie. I love the fun touches you have placed all over. I'm sorry about those mulberries. Our neighborhood is similar to yours, the houses and yards are very tight. We all try to respect each other's space, but it doesn't happen all the time. It's frustrating, I get it. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a Schwinn just like that as my first ever bike! I learned to ride on that bike. Only mine was blue and white.
    I love your patio, it's so cozy and sweet. Just like the inside of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a pretty spot! And you live within walking distance of a lake too, don't you? What about getting those sun sails and attaching them from your house to the fence to try to keep those mulberries out of your yard?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. That area is just so lovely, so sorry the tree makes such a big mess. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so peaceful, I would be out there all day listening to the birds. I still have my Miss Buzz bike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy do I feel old. You were 8 the year I graduated from college.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!