Friday, April 10, 2020

these strange days ~ and spring things


These days are now like a blur, one running into the next, not even sure what day of the week it is. I went grocery shopping yesterday and it left me feeling disheartened. It was like being in a strange sci-fi movie. People were like zombies. No one was making eye contact or even smiling. There were no sounds of conversation. All I heard was the music over the speakers. I got home, scrubbed my hands, unloaded my groceries, wiped down what items I could with a Clorox wipe, disinfected my countertop, fridge handle and door knobs, and washed my hands again. Then it was off to the vet with Clementine. She needed routine blood tests and a general exam to monitor her kidney disease. Another bizarre sign of the times where the vet tech comes out to the car and takes the pet into the animal clinic while you wait in the car. 

We had beautiful weather last weekend, so we worked in the yard, raking out the garden beds of all the leaves and sticks and dead matter that accumulates over the winter. I cut down all the perennials, too. You can see the lilac bush to the right, starting to sprout green buds.


This is my small herb garden at the back of the house ~ and all the dead stuff I raked out. It's amazing how much accumulates over the winter. Of course, a lot of it was the dead mint stalks, too. The chives and mint and red leaf sorrel come back every year. I think the thyme might be coming back, too ~ I saw some little leaves.


On to the butterfly garden. I raked all this out and cut down the phlox, purple coneflower and black-eyed Susan. See how there's a border in the front of the garden with holes in the ground? That's where we had buried colored wine bottles, neck down to make a pretty border many years ago. Then we had filled in the border area with small landscaping rocks around the wine bottles. Over the years, the rocks have found their way out of the border and wood chips and moss have moved in.


I pulled out all the wine bottles and we soaked them in a tub of soapy water and scrubbed the dirt off. Brian will dig up the border area and we'll start all over with the wine bottles. We don't want to fill in the area around the bottles  with rocks again though. Not sure what we'll do.


 Another spring project we got done last weekend was cleaning off the patio and setting up the patio furniture that had been covered up all winter. We didn't unbox the cushions for the seating yet though because the weather is still too rainy. And Brian will eventually power wash the patio, too. The patio looks so bare with just the furniture sitting there and no plants and flowers, but hopefully soon!


 I love seeing all the perennials coming back to life...

 the tangled mess of clematis...


lilac buds that remind me of miniature grape hyacinth...


hostas that first look like asparagus...


rhubarb (can't wait to make a rhubarb-strawberry crisp!)...


and how cool is this reviving peony?


I'm still taking my daily walks down to the lake, though I've missed a couple of days here and there due to either rain or laziness. A few evenings ago when Brian and I were walking, the sky was still that perfect blue and the almost-full moon was like a beacon.


So peaceful at the lake.


Indoors, not much has changed for spring except the mantel. 


I love the combination of pussy willows and daffodils in this blue and white pitcher.


That's about it around here. Hope you all are safe and well and hanging in there. These are trying times ~ physically and mentally ~ for many. 



11 comments:

  1. It is such a weird time but thank goodness for signs of spring. Hang in there friend. If you need to talk, I am always here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been so busy! Good thing you didn't put your cushions out yet, I think we might get snow on Monday!!??! Hope it doesn't spoil our budding Spring growth! Your lake does look peaceful - a nice spot for a walk. Stay safe and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been keeping busy! I love the wine bottle idea!! Have a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to visit your place. Your gardens are always a couple weeks ahead of ours and it makes me happy to know that ours will be their soon. Today is our last nice day for a little while. Snow is expected tonight and then we'll have cold temperatures through the week. I plan to get outside later this morning and do some more cleanup. I love the idea of the wine bottles for a garden border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strange days, indeed. We haven't left the house in weeks. There's no food on the grocery shelves to be delivered...you really can't go to the stores here anymore at all. It's all delivery or curbside pick up. Even the doctor's offices and vets are closed. It's really nuts!! I keep hoping spring will bring better days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really not all that different for me. Except for not being able to go the garden nursery or not wear a mask. I don't think I'd go into a grocery store unless it was senior hour because there weren't more than a dozen of us for the whole store and I wore my mask. Did you wear one?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melanie,
    You and Brian got a lot done. It was so great last weekend to get things done. I love that flowers and plants are coming back to life in our yards. Glad you can get out and walk. This virus scare is testing all of us. Stay safe and well.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been almost 5 weeks since I left the property. I have a younger friend who picks up groceries for me, which is a blessing. She volunteered and goes once a week. I work out in my gardens in the mornings when it is cooler as we are already having hot and humid weather. May spring bring many joyous blessings. Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never finished my wine bottle border, but certainly have the time to do that now. The weather is supposed to warm up next weekend, so that would be a great project to work on. I know I have plenty of bottles, just need to gather them from the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a strange time, indeed. Loving seeing all of your spring growth! We have a few daylilies coming up, but yesterday we got 8" of snow, so can't see them anyways! I am forcing some branches in the house, and the green leaves are popping out...makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been off our property for 29 days now, it's large enough for my walks to the pond and back, but RH says that most people at our grocery store are wagging fingers hello at each other as they follow the 6 ft markings around the store and there eyes crinkle up in smiles. He says everyone moves quickly and doesn't linger but there's definitely a spirit of friendliness still there.

    Your garden will be beautiful in another month, all your hard work will pay off!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!