Monday, April 27, 2020

working in the yard


Thank you all for your comments and opinions on my last post about my sofa. The majority agreed that I should leave things be until I can shop for a new sofa. I agree. Too much work to change things around. Not worth it.

Yesterday, Sunday, we got a one day reprieve from all the rain and cold temperatures we've been having. It was so wonderful to feel the sun and warmth on our faces once again. We're back to rain again today and looks like we won't see the sun again until Friday. It's bad enough being quarantined for so long, but when you can't even get outside for a walk, it gets pretty darn depressing.

But! Yesterday we took advantage of the beautiful weather and worked on some yard projects. Brian did all the back-breaking work; I dug out weeds, raked, and swept. I normally would've helped a lot more, but I currently have a little medical malady (don't worry, it's nothing serious!) that had me feeling out of sorts. This is our butterfly garden which obviously doesn't have much growing yet. Right now we only have daffodils, sedum and lamb's ear, with appearances being made by phlox, black-eyed susan and columbine. In the summer, it's filled with all those (except the columbine; that fades away), plus bee balm and purple coneflower. We've had this wine bottle border for years, but pulled all the bottles out a couple of weeks ago and scrubbed them with soapy water. Yesterday, Brian "replanted" all the clean wine bottles. Another project on my yard to-do list is power washing that bench to get all the moss off, then painting it.



Brian also laid paver stones along a long garden bed on the north side of our house. We originally had these pavers in the culvert area in front of our house, hoping that someday Brian was going to make some kind of border wall, but it never happened. Besides, our village Public Works department worked on our culverts last week and made them not only more aesthetically pleasing, but functional, too. More on that in another post. 


Looking the other way. You can see that we don't have much growing here. Just some hostas (all of which haven't appeared yet - a monster-sized one appears on the corner every year) and ferns - which are barely poking out of the ground. I'd like to add something for height and interest in this area, but I have no idea what to do. Since this is the north side of our house, it is mostly shade. Might have to use this extra quarantine time to do some gardening research.


 We got our daily walk in this morning before the rain hit. I had to stop and snap this picture of a neighbor's magnolia tree starting to bloom. Isn't it beautiful?


We were going to make a trip to a local, independent garden store today, but then realized that we wouldn't be able to plant anything this week anyway, so why bother. I'd have to keep all the plants on my front porch and even possibly move them into the garage at night, because there's still some nights where it's going down into the 30's.

Have a wonderful week and stay safe!




12 comments:

  1. You have a lovely yard. Interesting border you have made with wine bottles. Very creative. Have a great week. Hope you get some sunny weather. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a yard/garden to take care of is a blessing. Even just my two balconies filled with plants bring me great joy. There's always something new popping up from self-seeding and gifts from the birdies ... that includes weeds, but if it's green, it grows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard when you can't get outside, and just walk and enjoy the sunshine. Glad you had one day where you were able to get so much done! It feels great knowing that you've got projects needing done out of the way! I like your wine glass border, it is so pretty! It is always exciting every year to see what comes up. I never know what will survive or not. Except of course for daffodils. They are so hardy, thankfully! Many blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gardens will look lovely and I am impressed by the lack of weeds! I have LOTS of weeds but haven't gotten out to take care of them yet. Supposed to avoid the sun while I am on an antibiotic (that is my excuse this week!) Maybe next week I will be motivated to get busy. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wine bottle border. So fun. I want to make a butterfly garden this year in our yard. Looking good. Hope you are feeling a little better.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your wine bottle border and I'm impressed that you even washed them. How pretty they will be when the sun shines on them. Hope your medical malady resolves itself quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your wine bottles! Hang in there for full blown spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your yard so much. We are slowly trying to bring life back into our yard as well. It's been hard dodging weather with Mike's schedule. We are also trying to create a fire pit area as we got rid of the trampoline. Pictures to come on Instagram. When? Who knows LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are doing well my friend. Your borders look wonderful. Enjoy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your yard too. I am out for this season and Hubby has to do all the work. I was suppose to have both knees replaced, but because of the virus they were cancel. No bending or walking much for me, but I can enjoy seeing what others do to their gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, your wine bottle boarder us neat. A great way to repurpose and i never would think of doing it.

    Question, I can't grow half if what you can grow in NJ. Between deer and rabbits. How do you not have a problem?

    Not that I wish these problems on you but so many plants in the ground are issues.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to seeing how your yard comes along as spring arrives! I hope the weather has improved for you so you can start planting. We almost had a frost scare last night and I was worried for the little vegetable seedlings in my garden but everyone is still alive and it looks like we shouldn't have anymore frost scares. I am so happy spring is here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!