Monday, February 24, 2020

living with books

"You can tell a lot about someone by looking at their bookshelves." (The Millions)

I can't remember where I read about this book, but was thrilled to find it at my local library.


The book offers an interesting peek into personal libraries and bookshelves, including those of Larry McMurtry, Silvia Whitman of Shakespeare and Co., and Emma Straub. I love looking at people's bookshelves in their homes, or even a couple of books casually strewn on a coffee table. 


 Someone is a fan of Philip Roth. He's one American novelist I've never read. How about you?



 I was in awe of the libraries and collections I saw in this book, though I think some people go a little overboard. I mean, I have a lot of books but I certainly don't want to feel like I'm drowning in them.



I have books in every room in my home except for the bathrooms, though the only books in my kitchen are cookbooks. This bookcase is in our guest room. 


 Books on the dresser in the guest room.


Books in the master bedroom. My collection of Madeline L'Engle books are stacked on the bottom shelf.


I keep my poetry books in the living room.



A basket on the coffee table holds my current reads. I rarely read a book twice, but I'm making an exception with The Snow Child. I previously read it in 2013. I donate or pass my books along once I've read them (except for certain non-fiction which I will refer to again), but when I came across The Snow Child at a library book sale for 99 cents, I wanted to read it again since I enjoyed it so much the first time.


 Now if you'll come with my down to the basement, where I have my home library...


 This bookcase contains children's books, most of which belonged to my boys when they were growing up. These aren't all the books they had, of course. These are just the ones I saved. The few Nancy Drew books on the first shelf are mine.


More books on the console-table-turned-bar-cart and a basket of Brian's books underneath the table.


These IKEA bookcases are perfect for our basement! Close to 100% of our books are used. We scout library book sales as well as used book stores. I also buy used books online, either from Amazon or Abe Books. 


I use books in decor, too ~ not just on bookshelves. 







I'd love to hear how you live with books in your home. Do you have specific bookshelves, do you keep books stacked on your nightstand, do you use them in decor? What are you currently reading?




15 comments:

  1. That book looks really interesting. I only have a collection of decorating books and cook books. I read novels on my Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big reader. I read my decorating books and decorating magazines. My husband is a huge reader.

    Sometimes a book in hand or on his book. He reads everyday on his way in and home from NYC

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. I am going to see if I can get that book for my daughter. Kim my youngest is a book a holic! She wants to get married in a Library when she gets married some day. She loves the smell of old book shops and books. She was reading at age 3 and loves books. That kid and now adult never does not have a new book to read.
    Have a good day. Batten down the hatches for what is to start tomorrow for us through Wednesday. Ugh Ugh Ugh! You guys will probably see more than we will. Oh how I want Spring.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have a lot of books. But I got rid of my bookshelves and now just have a stack of unread ones sent by publishers on the bottom shelf of a table in my bedroom. I had books running out the ears. My daughter couldn't take them all to her church fast enough. I love books, but I just don't have the space!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT post! Hubby and I both have loved books. His love of reading started with his mother's Tarzan books, when he was a boy and hated to read. That changed with that set of books and now our little cottage is filled with books of all kinds. I can't quit buying them, have bought quite a few since God called him home. They are an addiction, they are healing, inspiring, encouraging and life wouldn't be the same without them. The most valuable/wonderful book I have is the Bible in several translations.

    I saw a book I'd like to add to my collection from one of your photos. '1000 Beautiful Things'. It will be on my wish list.

    Have a wonderful week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really do have more books than anyone I know personally Melanie! What an amazing collection!

    I love, love, love books. I used to save all my books but now only hold on to special books I may want to read again later, plus my decorating and cook books. I dread a day might come when I might have to move - boxes of books are so heavy!!!! I am really trying to make my life easier with less 'stuff' - you may feel that way when you are as old as me Melanie, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books too but in a different way. Too hard to explain in a comment section but let's just say I am envious of people who can finish a book. Ever.

    I love the way books make your home so cozy. You just have THE touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie, I think we must be related somehow. You probably knew I would love this post. I could walk right into your home and feel so very comfortable. Books are my favorite accessory, my best friends, and reading time is my favorite time of day. And shopping for books my favorite type of consumerism. I guess the only way we are different where books are concerned is that I read mine over and over. It's very rare that I find a new author that I love as much as those in old books on my bookshelves. I would like to try your Snow Child book. I love seeing all your bookcases! And it reminded me that I had planned to do a post on mine sometime, put off until I could give them all a good dusting and try to get them in as good order as yours are. Not sure that will ever happen!

    To answer your last questions: I do keep my different bookshelves for different types of books like mystery, history, British novels, American novels, research, cookbooks, etc. They are stacked in every room and on my bed table. And in decor.

    Right now I'm reading a book by Gladys Taber's daughter about her life in NY, and I'm rereading for the second time the Beverley Nichols book that YOU gave me, and my one current book, Tiny Habits. I think you would like it. I'm only reading/studying a few pages a day of it, the premise being "small changes that change everything." It's by B J Fogg.

    So glad to see that your son got to visit! I'm sure you really needed that time, short as it was.

    A happy week of reading to you,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do have several bookcases loaded up with all kinds of books! I need to make more time to finish the ones I'm in the middle of...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see some books that I have.

    I have read a few Philip Roth books, but he's not a must read author for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am like you, I have books in every room except the bathrooms! But I think you might have me beat in volume....holy smokes lady, you sure have a TON of books!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy seeing how people display and store books. It irritates me when bloggers and designers teach us how to "style" bookcases. If you don't have books, then why do you have bookcases? It seems silly, doesnt it?!?!?!?

    I enjoyed this post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Melanie, I have been missing you! Thank you for all the kind words you have left me lately, I appreciate your time so much. I love books but have really moved so many of them out of my house the last few years. I feel like in Florida they collect so much dust and bugs, which sounds gross but it is the truth. Moist conditions on a daily basis are not good for beloved books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep authors together and I put life changing books on a special shelf. I have children's collections that I'll savor over and over again. I was just looking at my Goodreads and I'm so thankful for the books that move me. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading. And, love to have a my own library in my dream house. The different book shelves and collection of books were quite inspiring. I love to have most of these some day. And, you are right. I have never read Philip Roth as well. Will save s few pics for my future home.Please visit us at https://www.bloghasting.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!