Friday, December 6, 2019

christmas decor at comfy house

Hello friends! Thanksgiving has come and gone and it was one week ago today that Tim left for California. He had a good road trip, stopping at cool restaurants along the way in Oklahoma (Don Thomas in Pryor where he claims had the best biscuits and gravy) and Texas (The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery in Amarillo), and making a four-hour stop at the Grand Canyon. Tim took photos of the Canyon with his "real" camera (he's a professional photographer) so I can't wait to see them when he gets his computer set up and has time to work on his photos.

The first few days after Tim left were hard. I had terrible anxiety the whole time he was on the road, but he was very good at keeping in touch with me. Then I was sad for a few days. But now that he's there and seems very happy, I'm feeling settled and relieved. Sure, I miss him...but I'm just happy that he's happy. 


Most of you that have followed my blog over the years know that I'm not real big on Christmas, especially since Phil passed away in 2009. Plus, with getting older, I just don't have the desire to decorate for the seasons much anymore. It's so much work and there's so much crap  stuff to store. I've been purging and donating Christmas decor every year for the past few years. We don't put up a big tree ~ too much work and no desire. We do put up a small tabletop tree but that's not decorated yet, so no photos of that to share right now.

Here's what I've done this year in the living room. I decided to go with with a natural theme...greenery, pine cones and touches of aqua, silver and white.


I may or may not hang some kind of banner from the mantel.


I love bottle brush trees and wish I had more, but I couldn't find any in the stores this year. Sold out early? These were some from last year.



Aqua baubles adorn the vintage pottery...



I saved most of the red decor for the kitchen...



When it came time to decorate the china cabinet, I didn't like the look of the dark wood on the back of the middle shelf. Previously, I had yellow and blue print scrapbook paper taped on the back. But, of course, that didn't go with Christmas decor, so I took it down.


 I tried a couple of different Christmas scrapbook papers and they didn't look good ~ they were too "busy". Then I spied aTrader Joe's bag with a simple Christmas design. It hit me - I could use that!


 OK, so I didn't measure and I didn't line the patterns up either, but I hope no one looks that close. ;-) It's funny...I'm a perfectionist in general, but not when it comes to things like that.




 Looks like I need to iron my table runner. Oh well!


 Looking from the kitchen into the living room.


The only decor in the main bathroom...touches of pink and green go well with the dark gray walls.


A little bit of decor on the dresser in the spare bedroom...


Lastly, the end of the hallway wouldn't be complete without my aunt's reindeer and sleigh that she gave me many years ago that she made in a ceramics class.



Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful weekend!





12 comments:

  1. Melanie, not ironing table linens is in style now!

    Aren't you glad you found that pretty shelf for your foyer? It looks beautiful with the stockings and lights, and that gorgeous sparkly tree pillow! All of your holiday touches around your house are so pretty and just right. I keep purging Christmas decor too and wanting a simpler look. But then my idea of simple and yours would be entirely different, I know. You would think that I need to purge much much more!

    Melanie, my heart has gone out to you, knowing how hard Tim's moving to a different state would be. It's not going to be easy on you but just knowing he's happy about starting a new chapter in his life will help. I still say, though, that this is the Christmas to spoil yourself rotten. Be oh so kind to yourself. You and Brian just take care of each other and have some great dates about town to reward yourself for sending Tim off with love.

    I'm sure Clementine and Monkey are getting lots of extra petting now too. Enjoy the weekend, sweet friend.
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much. Simple = better to me now that I am older.
    I am glad he got there safely and can't wait to see the pictures as well.
    Can't wait to hug you in person on Wednesday for girls night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mantel piece in the entry with the lights and stockings. So pretty. I have gone simple in my tiny house and do not have a lot of big decor just the tree. I have to have my pretty tree. Love it at night with the sparkles. Even though you did not do a tree your decor is so festive and pretty. Glad Tim is safe and sound in Ca. Happy Weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, you have brought Christmas into your home in so many charming ways. I love all the little touches here and there around your home. Using candle stick holders for little brush trees is adorable, as well as all of your other surprises tucked around the house. Your new shelf looks amazing with the white townhouse village and that gorgeous pillow. I could use your magic touch decorating here. I've done a few things and am trying my best to make this a beautiful Christmas for Steve, but I just don't have the energy that I normally have.
    Wishing you both a wonderful holiday season. It's so easy to see that the two of you are so in love and that romance is alive in your marriage. I'm sure you are visiting your favorite nooks and crannies about town and enjoying the season.
    God bless you.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melanie ~ Christmas can be rough, especially when we have lost loved ones. I've always enjoyed decorating for Christmas, but like you don't do as much as in years past. Even when my husband was still here we had gone down to a 2 1/2 ft tree. So much easier to handle and I decorate with special ornaments. I am slow going this year. Am working on the Nativity now and found an antique angel with a broken wing, so had to glue that and hope it sticks.

    I love your entry, very pretty and festive. Glad Tim made it to CA and that he is happily settling in. Enjoy this next phase of your life's journey with Brian and have a wonderful Christmas season ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad Tim is there and seems happy. I didn't think I was going to put up a tree, but then I ended up with two. Best laid plans and all that.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your son made it safely to his new home. I think you have the perfect amount of Christmas in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I totally get it Melanie. My girls recently flew on their own to another country and I was mess until I knew their traveling was done. Glad he's there and I hope he really enjoys his new home. And I'm with you, less is more. Every year I find myself leaving more and more in the bins. And I love your teal accents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have had some changes with your husband traveling and your son moving, no wonder you felt sad and anxious. Glad everyone is safe. Your house looks beautiful, just the perfect amount of decorations to make it feel festive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy Tim made it safely traveling.

    I get it with too much Christmas stuff. I love doing it all but I have kept things simpler for me. I don't over fuss anymore.

    I LOVE bottle brush trees

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks beautiful, and is just the perfect amount of decorating, if you ask me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending hugs as you and Brian adjust to Tim living far away. It's not easy, but if he's happy and safe, that's all you can ask for. That, and he calls regularly. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!