Monday, January 14, 2019

all in due time

Hello there! Happy New Year!  My first post of 2019...I'm behind. I'm having problems getting the photos from my phone to automatically upload to my laptop (through OneDrive) again. Some upload and others don't. So aggravating.

There's been a few small decorating changes at Comfy House. You might remember this fall canvas art that I hung in my bedroom last September. While the colors went well in this room, once winter came I didn't feel it was appropriate anymore. Too fall-ish looking. So what to put above the headboard instead? I like those sunburst mirrors, but I didn't want anything too heavy on this wall. I get paranoid at the thought of something that heavy possibly falling on us while we're sleeping. 


While shopping at HomeGoods recently for rugs (which we didn't buy), I saw this artwork and thought it might work above our bed. I'm trying to keep the bedroom serene-looking. These prints aren't too heavy either - and are hanging on double hooks. So I'm not worried about them falling on our heads while we're sleeping. Ignore the price stickers still on the glass. I wasn't sure at the time if we'd be keeping them. And thank goodness for Brian who knows how to measure and hang things evenly. I can eyeball where I want to hang things and I'm usually spot on, but when it comes to hanging two things together like this and getting it just right, I'm hopeless.


I think this artwork will look great year-round. Now to find matching lamps for our side tables. Why are lamps so freaking expensive?!


Since Tim moved out a couple of months ago, we haven't done much with his room. We want to make this room into a guest room, but yet with space for Brian to have his own desk and some space for his personal stuff. We found this gorgeous art deco desk on Facebook Marketplace. Brian was smitten when he saw it. The lady we bought it from was so nice. When we were at her house checking out the desk in person, we mentioned that we had to go to Home Depot to rent a truck to haul the desk home. She said that was ridiculous and that she had a big truck and would be happy to help us load it up and deliver it to our house. So here it is in all its glory in what-was-Tim's-room. That framed photo is a vintage map of the Chicago Rapid Transit Line. Brian grew up in Chicago and is a huge fan of anything Chicago, especially if its vintage (like him). We just need to find a frame for it so we can hang it on the wall. And we also need to find a desk chair. Brian wants that would be fitting with this desk. So I'm keeping my eyes open on FB Marketplace and OfferUp and of course we'll look in vintage shops when we make our treks. Eventually the right one will come along.


In regard to making Tim's room a guest room, we're really limited on space. This is a tiny room - around 10x12. We're looking for some kind of twin bed...maybe a daybed or even a futon if it's comfortable. And since Tim took the curtains that were in this room, we need those, too.


The one thing I wouldn't let Tim take were the black and white framed photos on his wall. He actually only wanted two of them, but I told him that'd ruin the entire display. All of these photos are his except for the one of the bottom right - that's mine.


Lastly, this room will need a rug. That's why we were looking at HomeGoods. Even though we didn't find what we were looking for, at least we found the framed photos for our bedroom.

It'll eventually all come together.

Now to work on the computer and photo problems...

11 comments:

  1. What beautiful floors in that room, Melanie! I must look on Offer Up and Facebook Marketplace....I love vintage furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian's new office space is going to be great! I really love the new artwork for the bedroom, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a beautiful desk! I love FB marketplace, there are some great deals there. I agree, lamps are so expensive. I saw a bunch at Hobby Lobby today. With their 40% they might be reasonable, but I did't check the prices. Love the artwork over the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its nice to do some freshening up in the home. I am playing with a new theme in my hall bathroom. It's one of my 'playrooms' since it's small and fun to decorate and easy to change. Once I hit the craft room it will be chaos as there is o much to go through and organize and donate. I'll get it done and then rearrange furniture so I can use my new to me desk much better. I love the desk you found, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot hang ANYTHING straight to save myself. Maybe you and I should find a class.
    I love the clean slate that the new year provides. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks very nice! I love your new art over the bed. I would like to hang something different over my bed but I have my huge framed wedding portrait there. I don't know where else I would hang it in my house (and I do want to keep it up), plus it's always been above the bed (kind of a family tradition in my mom's family, everyone has their giant portrait over the bed). I'm just glad I framed it in a tasteful and classic way when I got married 17 years ago, it could be a lot worse! Your desk is beautiful, wow, what a find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm out of the loop on rugs right now. But when I lived in TX I always ordered indoor/outdoor rugs. They were cheaper (at least back then) and you could take them outside and hose them down when they got dirty.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie that desk is beautiful. What a wonderful women to bring it to your house. See their are good peeps out in the world!!! Check offer up for a vintage office chair too. I have really good luck on that site.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why he fell in love with the desk. It's a beauty, & all the drawers! So good to have a designated desk for bills, etc. Helps keep that stuff from cluttering other rooms/spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the desk you found for Brian.

    Have you checked Rugs USA online? Everyone I know, including me, is happy with their rug. Once you start looking at their site you'll get emails for deals. With deals, the rugs are very inexpensive, but nice quality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same feeling about hanging anything too heavy above the bed. Who wants to be woke up in the middle of the night to a crash from above. Brian's desk is wonderful and here's hoping he finds the perfect chair. I know he will . . . just don't get in too big of a hurry. When looking for the perfect antique we have to play the waiting game, LOL. I know you didn't mention your floors, but I have to . . . they are gorgeous.
    Wishing you a lovely day, sweet friend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!