Monday, December 31, 2018

so long, 2018


Here we are again ~ the end of another year. We made it! Through all our tribulations, trials, blessings and victories, we made it. I always like to reflect back on the year and ponder over all the happenings and then set my intentions (not resolutions!) for the new year. 

One thing's for sure: Life is uncertain and heartbreaking. This year alone, two friends passed away from cancer and one from heart disease. Two more friends were newly diagnosed with cancer and are still battling that horrible disease. My aunt had surgery for thyroid cancer. My cousin's little girl was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. A new friend's son committed suicide. An online friend's son was killed in a car accident. 


At the end of last year, I wondered how my cats would do in 2018. Zippo was old and had thyroid and kidney disease, as well as eye problems. Clementine was newly diagnosed with kidney disease. As it turned out, my sweet Zippo passed away this November at the age of 19-1/2. I know he lived a long, good life with us, but it was still one of the most grievous things we've gone through. 


When you're a homeowner, something is always breaking, needing replacing or repairing. This year, our central air conditioning conked out - on one of the hottest days this summer. Our dishwasher also needed replacing; in fact, we got a new one just a few days ago. In May, I came home one day to find half the gutters and soffits on the south side of our house ripped off and hanging on the ground. And in November and December, we had our old, rotting front porch and deck ripped out and replaced with Trex decking. I don't want to show any before and after photos of that right now; I will write a post and post photos in the spring when the landscaping looks better and we're able to put plants on the porch, etc. Right now everything is so muddy.



Not everything is gloom and doom, of course. There were a lot of blessings this year, too. Besides all the times I got together with family and friends, I got to meet up with one of my dearest friends who lives in Canada, when she was in Wisconsin this summer. 

After over a year of searching the house, I found my lost anniversary band. 


For the first time, I did a freelance job as a beta reader ~ and loved it. 

I went to a couple of workshops because there's always room for learning, growth and self-improvement. One of the workshops is a writing one and will continue into the new year.

 I also had some sessions with a life/wellness coach to help with my anxiety. I learned more about practicing mindfulness in those sessions. Did it help? In some ways, yes and in other ways, no. 


The other major event that happened in our family this year was that Tim moved out and into his own apartment. It was a positive move for all of us.


What are you doing tonight for New Year's Eve? Brian and I are staying in. We had takeout Thai food for dinner and will have a glass of wine while watching a Netflix movie. We'll probably be in bed by 11:00 p.m. 

Thank you for reading Comfy House for another year. I am so thankful for all the friendships that I've made through this blog. May 2019 be a year of much love and good health for all of us.


16 comments:

  1. Each year certainly has its highs and lows, ups and downs, good and bad times. My husband was asleep last night by 9 p.m. and I was in bed at 9:50 p.m. I'd much rather get up early than stay up late because I need light and sunshine in my life. :) Wishing you and yours much peace, joy and love in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are blogging. In the midst of a very hard year for me, you and your blog were always a comfort. I feel like our friendship has been a very bright spot for me in an otherwise very difficult time in my life. Always encouraging and always honest, you are a great friend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe you found your ring after a year of searching - that's fantastic and must be a sign of good things to come for you in 2019, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like 2018 was a year of hanging on and doing the best we could. I don't mean that in a bad or begrudging way, just that life is always busy and when it's not, we're in recovery mode. I can't say that I'd prefer it to be any other way, though. The days may be long, but the years are short.
    I hope this new year is a sweet one for you and your family with much peace and more of the good than the bad. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Melanie - I love reading your posts. I lost my beautiful, gentle Tom cat Sammy last year. He was 15-1/2 years old. It is a hard thing to go through. We have two other cats but you can't replace any cat or any person. God does not make duplicates. Thank you for being so kind in sharing your "Comfy House".

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2018 was the worst of my life but God was faithful. I almost lost my 16 year old son more than once to addiction. Both my children and husband struggle with mental health issues. Although it was a truly horrible year, I saw the hand of God move in so many ways. My faith in Christ has been strengthened. I look at addicts and the homeless from a different lens now. I see the human now rather than their situation. If the only change in me was that one thing then 2018 was not a wasted year.
    Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you have a happy, healthy, successful New Year!

    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some sadness, lots of prayers and happiness too, I think that is what makes up a year. Happy New Year. Wishing you a wonderful 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to bed about 9:30. I never celebrate on New Year's Eve and I hate champagne. I'm so sorry you lost Zippo!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear about all the losses this year and especially sorry to hear about your cousin's daughter. And I know how Zippo's death must have hurt. It never gets any easier no matter their age, does it? Your dinner last night sounds lovely. We stayed in too and had good soup on the last night of the year.

    It doesn't surprise me that you've enjoyed learning new things, Melanie. I think you always will be a learner! I hope I will be too. And I hope this year will be filled with blessings and lovely times for you, dear friend. I'm so glad I met you in blog land!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a great New Year's Eve. I just got your post tonight in my mail box. Sorry you have had so much loss especially with your little Zippo. I am wishing for a better year in 2019 for you.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wrote on Instagram that it's been "a year...and aren't they all?" Kind of hard to quantify them as good or bad as you demonstrated, as each is filled with so much of both. I sorry for the sad things, super happy for the good ones and wishing you the best of everything in 2019! Hugs to you...Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year, Melanie. I am glad to have discovered your blog as I enjoy my visits here.
    Some years the losses seem greater than others and I am sorry to hear that 2018 was like that for you. May 2019 be better in that regard.
    How wonderful that you found your long lost ring and, I might add, it is beautiful.
    I look forward to seeing your new outdoor updates.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has been an up and down year for me also, but I am going forward with a positive attitude and faith.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 2018 was full of changes for you...good and bad. My year was, too, but ended on a good note. Praying that 2019 is going to be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry about all the sadness and loss in 2018. In 2017 we lost a lot of friends, but 2018 was a better year.

    I was most amazed that you found your anniversary band - congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!