Wednesday, October 24, 2018

wine and cheese party

Can you believe Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner? Funny how those holidays just seem to sneak up on us. So begins the season of entertaining.

I have a small house with an eat-in kitchen, not a separate dining room. However, my small kitchen table is the perfect place to have a few friends over for a wine and cheese party.

As a member of the Wayfair Homemaker program, I have been compensated for this post. All ideas and opinions are completely my own.

My entertaining style is casual, though I do prefer real plates, glasses and napkins over disposable items. These pretty cheese plates are originally from Crate and Barrel, but I found them at Goodwill a couple of years ago.


I start out with a good red wine. My current favorite is Hess Select Treo 2014. It's a northern California wine, soft on the tannins, so it's very smooth. If you're a red wine drinker, you've gotta give this one a try. 


I enjoy making a simple charcuterie board with a couple of different cheeses (in this case, I used an Australian extra sharp cheddar and a pepper jack cheese), uncured genoa salami slices, an olive tapenade served in a mini Le Creuset pumpkin cocotte, mixed nuts, and crackers. If you wanted to add a fruit element, apple slices, fresh grapes, or even some dried fruit would be lovely additions for a fall board.


Of course, having a beautiful board to set up your charcuterie goodies adds to the ambiance of your party. I chose this stoneware (80% marble) and wood board from Wayfair. They have many to choose from, depending on what material, size and shape you want.


Light the candles and your wine and cheese party is ready!



Are you ready for holiday entertaining? 
Do you keep it small and simple or do you entertain large crowds?


12 comments:

  1. Love your small wine and cheese gathering, that is the kind of entertaining I love. I found some cute crate and barrel appetizer plates and napkins at the thrift shop and they set a cute table also. Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not ready yet---lol
    We have an out-of-town wedding for our grandson on December 30. Not very good timing but then I am not in charge. LOL

    Your set up looks lovely. I used to give huge parties and would cook for days beforehand but I haven't done that in a while. We belong to a small group of friends that get together all football season at each other's homes. It is fun and we have the tried and true recipes and something different each time. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get that wine? I need to find a red wine like that. I love red wine but it doesn't love me (headaches).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer simple and small crowds. LOVE the Le Creuset pumpkin! This looks so cozy and inviting, a nice place to gather with a few friends and linger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is lovely, Melanie...and I love the cheeseboard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Melanie love that you found those cute plates at Goodwill. Sometimes Terry and I will just do a Cheese and Meat and Crackers board for dinner with maybe some fruit. Makes for a nice later dinner for us that is light and yummy. Love your pumpkin too. Very sweet.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie, I like your style . . . simple and elegant. What a nice way to have another couple over for good conversation and the warmth of comfortable hospitality. Your home is always so welcoming.
    Have a great weekend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky find on those plates at GW! I really love the marble cheese board you chose, Melanie. That will have so many different uses in the future. Your little Le Creuset pumpkin is darling!

    We can no longer entertain big crowds unless it's family, which is 21 now in our immediate family. In that case, they all seem to love being crammed in here together. But our days of having 30 or 40 people is over. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love looking at charcuterie boards on Pinterest, and have put together simple ones. They make an easy light Sunday supper when we've had a busy weekend.
    I'll check out the wine. We have our favorites, but always open to trying something new. I'm a fan of Apothic Dark. It's a red blend and has a deep flavor, not too dry. Greg's favorite is Columbia Crest or Chateau St. Michele.
    Our entertaining is usually just for family gatherings, which get bigger each year. Greg's immediate family is up to 18 now, and mine is 25, and we always invite friends/in-laws as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks tasty.

    I am actually planning a 70th birthday party for Steve, but I'm at the "how big do I want to make this" stage. There will definitely be a charcuterie board no matter what size party or menu.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really entertain much anymore, but I used to enjoy it. I host Christmas Eve though. Now if someone invites me over for wine and cheese, I'll jump at the chance! lol Pretty cheese board and I love that little pumpkin :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your wine and cheese party looks very inviting. I like how you styled the table. It looks so pretty. Great find on the plates and the board from Wayfair is fabulous. I think once we move to our new house I will be doing a bit more casual entertaining. You have given me a great idea for pulling it off without too much stress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!