Tuesday, October 16, 2018

fall nesting













This has been a strange October for Illinois. First we had a ton of rain, and now it's just plain cold. We went from temps in the 80's straight to the 40's in 24 hours. No in-between. Me no-likey. I'm a warm weather, lots-of-sun person. I know many people love fall and are all like, "Yay, pumpkin spice lattes and hoodies and boots and scarves!" And then there's me..."Gimme my iced tea, t-shirts and bare feet!" I need to live in California. Don't get me wrong, I think the color change is beautiful and sometimes crisp, cool air feels good, but when October goes from summer to almost-winter overnight, I get a little cranky. Don't even talk to me about how early it gets dark now...and will only get worse with the time change.

Such is the time of nesting though, and the kitties are pros; snuggling together and always curled up in blankets. Or in Clementine's case, lying on the heater vent to keep warm.

And it's definitely comfort food weather. I do enjoy cooking more in the cooler weather. There's been chicken noodle soup with matzo balls (sorry, no recipe for this one. I make up a lot of my own soups and just go with the flow. Though I didn't make the matzo balls. Those were straight from the Jewish deli); roasted veggies (add some black beans for a complete meal - you can stuff this concoction in a pita or tortilla, if you wish);  Ragu Bolognese (this recipe is one where you need several hours...I didn't catch that in time and ended up having a late dinner...I also made my own modifications...didn't use veal {we don't eat veal}, added a little garlic and oregano, and used half and half instead of whole milk); and there's been a little baking thrown in, too. I picked the last of my rhubarb, bought a carton of strawberries, and came up with a crumble. I found a recipe for the filling that used pure maple syrup instead of processed sugar, but I made my own topping with oats, flour, a little brown sugar, butter, coconut oil, and cinnamon.

If you're looking for an easy, delicious chili recipe, give this one a try. We had it for dinner tonight and topped it with chopped onions and shredded cheddar cheese. It really hit the spot on a cold night.

Talk to you soon...in the meantime, stay warm and snuggly. 💗


19 comments:

  1. I've been eating ALL OF THE soup lately. I'm even planning a soup party for our family and close friends. Something about soup and cozy hit the spot right now. Headed to the chili recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had a lot of rain and 80 degree days too this fall. We are finally have days in the 60's which I love, but yesterday and today it is raining again. I do love comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still waiting for those cooler temps! Well it has dropped into the 80's so that is much better. Mom has started making soups this time of year also. I don't like pumpkin anything so it makes me shudder at all the pumpkin spice stuff. Ugh...but those who like it, enjoy! Me I'll snuggle with my cat and think of cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of the season, but full disclosure here, we don't get the bitter cold and ongoing cloudy days that winter and fall usually bring. I love all of your photos, Melanie! They just say 'warm and cozy and time to hunker down.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved seeing your kitties! I'm wearing shorts today.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie,
    With living right near you I am on the same bandwagon. We have the craziest weather. Summer one day and winter the next. Crazy. I am a summer girl too and while I love a comfy sweater and Hot Vanilla Chai Tea I would rather wear flip flops year around. So I get it. Hoping we have a little bit more of fall before you know what starts. Ugh!!! Happy Wednesday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cann't imagine you being cranky :) Your selection of comfort food has my mouth watering . . . I want to eat at your house :)
    What time is dinner? I'll bring dessert!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Dallas, we were 80 on Sunday; on Monday, temp of 41, wind chill of 35 & 2.5" of rain. Set a record temp Monday, & it's already the wettest Oct on record. We just finished the wettest Sept on record. I can't get my yard work done with daily rain, but I take this gratefully over drought. Thank you for the lovely photos, especially of your fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If only we could relax as completely as your kitties do a lot of our stress would evaporate, right?

    Wow, we are opposites where weather is concerned, Melanie! Maybe I get my love of snow and cold weather because I spent my first year in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. But I admit you have a much longer winter than we do here in Nashville. I do love your gorgeous fall color. That crumble looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a bit jealous of the corbel I spotted in one pic. I'm on the hunt for a matched set.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same here, rain, rain, hot and then cold...lots of chicken soup and socks all of a sudden. Love your little ghost. How sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about we swap house for Fall next year, I love it and you can be here in the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the corbel!
    We've had some really hot and some really cold temps this month, but now it's in the 60s every day and is perfect. THIS is the autumn I love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Autumn post! Your food looks so good! I'll check out the dessert recipe using Maple Syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do like to make a nice pot of soup this time of year and a great way to use leftovers. Everything looks so cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure my cats would love to have a hot air vent in the floor at Cottage! Yours looks so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos, Melanie, everything looks so cozy at your house - especially your sweet kitty on the heater!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I left a comment yesterday and I realized that my comments weren't coming up on any blogs, so I have to use chrome now to comment. Computers are a pain in the butt lol Anyway, Your home looks very cozy and I now remember that, besides Kim, it was you that loved summer. I knew it was someone! lol

    xoxo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!