Friday, September 21, 2018

on this last day of summer

The end of summer always makes me a little sad. I love the long sun-filled days and the warm temps. (Admittedly, not when it's in the 90's or when the humidity leaves you unable to breathe.) I love the lushness of the trees and abundance of colorful flowers. I love being able to run outside by just slipping on a pair of shoes (or sometimes not). I love being barefoot most of the time. I love the smell of freshly mown grass and the wafting scent in the air of neighbors grilling dinner. I love hanging out on the patio in the evenings, sipping a glass of wine. Can you tell summer is my favorite season?

I've already been dumping pots of withered annuals and washing out the pots and storing them back in the garage until next spring. The only annuals still thriving are the ones on my front porch.


The summer perennials are drying up, too...


Here, the purple coneflower is done showing off and the sedum is taking over.


The morning light coming in through the front door is now muted and casts beautiful shadows. (Oh, and I guess that's a sneak peek at my new Wayfair painting. A post will be coming next week about that.)

 

No surprise, but I haven't dug out my box of fall decor yet. I have put up a few pieces of fall artwork and today when I was at Trader Joe's, I picked up some small white pumpkins, but that's all I've done as far as fall decorating. I'm in no hurry.



It was 90 degrees here yesterday and this afternoon, it was only in the 60's! Tonight, it's actually going down to 44 degrees. I said to Brian that we could be going from air-conditioning to turning on the furnace in 24 hours. He said, "Welcome to Chicago."

In all seriousness, I am not turning on the furnace. I will put on a hoodie and a pair of socks tomorrow morning if I have to. 


So long, beautiful summer. Until next year....

xoxo


9 comments:

  1. I love summer too and I think my problem with fall is that winter isn't too far behind. That and we always get screwed out of fall.
    But I hope we get a great fall this year, today is a good indicator that it might be.
    Will be outside enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, you struck gold with that first interior shot! One of those magic views that makes a person want to enter the house and get to know the intriguing woman who lives there. Not only because of the light there, as wonderful as it is, but the fascinating way you've arranged all your beautiful things. And if that's the new painting propped there, I think it's lovely just where it is!

    And then you end with another fascinating shot through the glass bottles and foraged fall clippings to the window beyond and one of your babies sitting there looking out the window--a visual trick that draws our eye to the window and beyond.

    Just lovely, my summer loving friend! But your hoodie and 44 degrees sounds wonderful to this Nashvillian who hid inside in the AC from 97 degrees the other day.

    Hoping for sweater weather but not coat weather,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will miss summer but not the heat. I haven't done any Fall decorating but think I'll drag out that tote soon. Still hot here in GA so still using a/c!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is something to enjoy in every season, but I admit it does take some looking sometimes, like for me with summer. I guess we're opposites! I hope you were able to avoid turning on the furnace. We should have a few more weeks before we need ours, but it's coming. Last night was chilly. We were outside looking through our telescope and I was getting cold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize this was the last day of summer. It was actually cooler last night. I'm pretty much only decorating for fall with gourds and mini pumpkins from Trader Joe's. I just don't have room to store seasonal decor.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you on the weather. We had some wacky temps the last week. I am a summer girl but with all the heat, humidity and rain we have had I am ready for cooler temps. My flowers are almost all done now too.
    The front flower boxes are holding on but most of my hanging and planted pots are gone now too. Have a great weekend.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard to believe it is fall already. Our summer here was so hot and humid that I am glad to move into fall weather. I just wish it would last a lot longer than it does! Our winters are long and harsh and follow closely on the heels of fall.

    My plants are pretty well done, too....darn it. Hope you have a great week- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for the cooler weather. In summer heat I'm a slug and just cannot get things done. My wish is always for a very long autumn season. One freeze to get rid of the bugs, though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We closed the pool this weekend...it's a bummer. I miss summer already.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!