Monday, July 16, 2018

mid-july already















Goodness, it's been so long since I've done a blog post! It's mostly the busyness of summer...lots going on. Big things and little things. Everyday life things. Spending less time online. Talking outside with neighbors on evening walks. Walking down to the lake and watching the sunset. Sitting on the patio with a glass of iced tea after pulling weeds and watering the garden.

Happy celebrations ~ driving up to Cedarburg, Wisconsin to meet up with one of my childhood best friends from Canada...word of advice: when someone is taking your photo when you're sitting down, don't be the one in front and don't lean back! Unless you want to look like Jabba the Hutt. And new life...one of my best friend's newest granddaughter, just 12 days old when I got to visit. I held her for almost two hours straight. 💓

Glorious summer...we're in the thick of it now. All my gardens are lush with blooms and the bees are very happy. The farm stand up the road opens this week and will have fresh corn and tomatoes. I can't wait. I've been making summery dishes ~ pasta salad with pesto made from the basil in my herb garden, quick stir-fries, chicken thrown on the grill, strawberry-rhubarb cobbler made with the last of the rhubarb from my garden. With the fresh tomatoes from the farm stand (I'm only growing cherry tomatoes and they're still green), I'll be making BLT sandwiches and caprese salad.

That's it in a nutshell for now. How's your summer going?



8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're having a great summer, Melanie. I'm glad. I looked at your picture of the baby for a long time, I just can't get enough of the way they pull their feet up to their bodies when they're that young. That's one of the sweetest things about a new baby to me. I hope you're having a good week so far. Enjoy that farm stand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photographs are great. I especially loved that sweet baby picture and also the beautiful picture with the sunbeams.
    Your flowers are doing great and looking pretty. Summer is truly flying by it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your photos. Makes me feel like I'm enjoying your summer also! Mine is busy and full of Grands, friends, books and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are so much fun to read. You remind me of women I grew up with and around in rural Ohio. That is a huge compliment, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, your pictures tell the story of summer bliss. And all of us need times offline to refill the well.

    That sweet baby! I learned yesterday that my second great-grand will be a girl and here for Christmas! Your garden looks at the top of its form now, such lovely day lilies. And the bee on the lamb's ears flowers, yes! Our two patches were covered with them but a heavy storm collapsed them to the ground and the bees don't seem interested now. And Melanie, dear, I would be thrilled to look a smidgen as nice as you do in the photo with your friend! You both look so happy to be in each other's company too.

    Your tomato plans sound just right, that's what we all have our minds on this month, don't we? Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes. Add in some corn, with fried okra for us in the South, and that's a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely post. I'm so happy that you are enjoying summer and all that it has to offer. There is something very special about your little patio, it always looks so welcoming and shady and cool. That and all your flowers and how lush and green everything is. I remember when you were living with winter weather for sooooooooo long this spring. It's nice to see that summer is finally there for you to delight in.
    Keep Smiling, sweet friend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love to visit Cedarburg. What a great little town. You look so happy and great with your friend.
    That sweet little baby is so adorable. I would be not letting go of her either. Glad you had a great time seeing your friend. Have a good week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same here...the busyness of summer has invaded and we have all surrendered. Blogging has fallen by the wayside and that's ok! Plenty of time to sit inside, trapped by old man winter on the horizon. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!