Saturday, March 31, 2018

getting ready

 Where, oh where, is spring? There's still not many signs here in northern Illinois. I checked the 10-day weather forecast and we'll still be in the 30's and a few days in the low 40's. There might even be some snow showers here and there. I read somewhere that said it looks like the first half of April will have below-normal temps.


I did buy a pot of pansies for the front porch, but I've had to put them in the garage at night. In the meantime, I'm keeping things spring-like indoors with flowers from the store. (That's Clementine by the daffodils, by the way.)


It'll be a small gathering for Easter at my house tomorrow. Of course, it'll be us three, then my mom, aunt, and cousin. I spent all day cleaning the house and getting a lot of food ready ahead of time. Since we have a small house with limited space, I set up the buffet in the living room for the appetizers and wine. The three-bowl dish will hold olives and pistachios, and I will also put out Dill Pickle Dip (so addictive!) and pretzel sticks, and an eggplant-garlic-sweet red pepper spread (that's courtesy of Trader Joe's) with crackers.


Our small kitchen table that is perfect for the three of us got folded down and put in front of the fireplace. This will hold the desserts: lemon bars, French Silk Chocolate pie, and apple-pecan cake. All homemade, courtesy of me, my mom, and aunt. The tablecloth will go on the table tomorrow at the last minute. I have naughty pussy cats who think any available surface - especially if it's covered in some sort of material - is just for them.


Since we don't have a dining room - just an eat-in kitchen - Brian and Tim brought up the "banquet table" from the basement today and set it up in the kitchen. This will seat the six of us perfectly. Of course, this ugly table will get covered with a tablecloth, as well. You can see it hanging over the chair on the left, all ironed and ready.


All I have left to do tomorrow is the last-minute cleaning of the bathrooms, de-cat hairing the couch, setting the table, making the asparagus, and sticking the spiral ham in the oven.

And now I'm off to finally relax and watch a movie with Brian. Wishing you all a joyous Passover and/or Easter, whichever you celebrate.


14 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, Melanie. I always find Jingles on the dining table in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning and with her shedding her winter coat, there's fur fluffs everywhere. :/ Looks like you are organized for today's gathering. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks lovely! We're hopefully having Easter dinner here with just the kids and grands. Depends on the snow.
    Our ten-day forecast is much the same as yours. No fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a lovely Easter! I'm about to head to church this morning and then the family will come over and eat dinner at Mom's this afternoon. There will be egg hunting, Easter baskets for the Grands and lots of food. We are thankful for our Faith and Family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter, Melanie! It sounds like you have a lovely day planned and I hope you all have a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your lovely day with your family. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home is perfect for entertaining even though you think it's too small. It's the details that are most important and you are so good at the details. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty nasty here today. In the thirties and off and on rain. No spring today!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Easter, Melanie! I hope you enjoyed your day. Your house looks so nice. I love the photo of Clementine and the daffodils, her tail curled over her toes. It's so sweet when cats do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Melanie. I am so with you on being so over this winter! It is time for Old Man Winter to leave and Spring to land. Sounds wonderful how you planned out your dinner for you and your guests. When we live in smaller homes we have to be creative with our spaces when entertaining. I bet it was a wonderful gathering and everyone enjoyed. Have a great week ahead.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope it was a beautiful day! And ugh. No more snow. I am so over it. We woke up to six more inches today. It's melting quickly as the day goes on, but I don't want to see anymore of it. Oh...and lemon bars are my weakness!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melanie, these are great tips for people like me with a small house. You did a great job of setting up for your guests and your sweet home is always so cheerful and lovely.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clementine is so precious! :-) Hope your Easter was delightful! Everything look so lovely!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL I cracked up when I clicked over here and saw "No Spring for You!"

    Southwest PA / same sort of weather. Snow yesterday / rain later and all day today / MUD ! :)

    Love that photo of the kitty with the daffodils! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep the weather is not realizing it’s Spring. I hope you enjoyed your Easter with your family. I do see tulip and daffodils leaves up. Panies can take very cold weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!