Tuesday, March 6, 2018

for today ~ march edition






Looking out my window ~
It's cloudy, cold, and snowy. March is a fickle month around here. It can be anywhere from cold and snowy, to lots of rain, to some rare warmth and sunshine. It's one of my least-favorite months, to be honest.


I am thinking ~
of all the things I have to do today. Plus, wondering what to make for dinner.

I am thankful ~
for friendship. My elderly friend, Gladys whom I'd known since my early 20's, passed away February 23rd. I met "Gladiola" (my nickname for her ~ for indeed, she was as sweet and beautiful as a flower) when we were working at G.D. Searle around 1983. She would always come to me for help on the Wang Word Processor. Anyone remember this machine?! Gladys and I kept in touch via visits and cards and letters over the years. She was a wonderful writer and would always sign her letters with "Love and Cheer, Gladiola". Her smile lit up her face, her family was her life, her favorite color was pink, and she played the harmonica. 

(RIP my dear friend, Gladys)


One of my favorite things ~
This facial cream.


I am creating ~
I'm just starting to de-winter the buffet and create a spring vignette.


I am wearing ~
Three layers of clothing: black and gray striped tank, long-sleeved purple cotton top, gray fuzzy vest...as well as jeans and purple socks.

I am reading ~
Empty, Empty, Happy Happy by Bhante Sujatha/Tyler Lewke and a book a poetry called Winter Morning Walks by Ted Kooser.


I am listening to ~
Wildfire by Mandolin Orange. If you don't have Spotify, give them a listen here live on youtube:

I am hoping ~
for sunshine.

I am learning ~
to practice short meditations every day. I went to a workshop last week given by Bhante Sujatha. At the end, he gave us some homework. This may sound overly-simple, but it's harder than you think. Every day for seven days, in the morning and at night, close your eyes for just two minutes. Repeat the words as you take conscious deep breaths, "I am well. I am happy. I am peaceful." He claims you will feel better after seven straight days of doing this. And no, you don't have to be Buddhist or even "believe" in Buddhism to do this.

In my kitchen ~
I whipped up a last-minute bechamel sauce the other night. It was so good, I've been putting it on everything, including eggs and toast. Kind of like eggs benedict, I suppose. I used mostly almond milk and a little half and half. I stirred in a bit of Dijon mustard and lots of herbs to give it flavor.



Post-Script ~
(Add a favorite link that you would like to pass along. It can be someone else's website, etsy shop, Instagram feed, Facebook link, OR it can be your own.)

Shared Quote ~
(share a favorite quote)
"We can do no great things; just small things with great love."
(Mother Teresa)

A moment from my day ~
(share a picture with us of your daily-ness)
My sweet girl, Clementine caught mid-yawn as I was folding laundry in the bedroom this morning.


If you're interested in participating in doing a post for The Simple Woman's Daybook, see the guidelines here.


17 comments:

  1. I love the daily meditations. I am going to try it. I have been meditating for years and you're right, it's not easy! I have let the habit fall away recently, perhaps this little mantra will reawaken my own practice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gladys sounds like she was a wonderful friend. I am glad she was in your life path and you got to know her. Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting post dear Melanie.

    Sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

    Have a wonderful week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really sorry about your friend. Your cat sure has big paws!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking to that article. I hate that kind of thinking and I'm glad to see someone refute it. I'm so sorry to hear about Gladiola (if I may call her that). She sounds like a nice lady and a good friend. Some of the most important people in my life have been older ladies I've met along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry about "Gladiola". Sending you love. She sounds like she was amazing.
    February is MY least favorite month, so thank you baby Jesus that one is out of the way.
    My favorite link right now (and has been for a long while) is the blog Rain on a Tin Roof. Google her. You will LOVE her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post, Melanie. I am so sorry you lost Gladiola(smile)...I am sure she is smiling down on you. I hope you have a wonderful week! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always fun reading about what your sweet friends are doing. Today is my sister's birthday, she passed away a month ago and shared the same name Gladys. It was a popular name back in the 30's and 40's. Your Gladys sounds like a bright and cheerful soul, I know you will miss her.
    Yesterday the sun was shining here and I worked in the yard . . . I agree that March is not one of my favorite months either . . . too much teasing goes on with the weather.
    Have a lovely day.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend Gladiola. She sounds like a person who brought a lot of happiness to others.

    March is probably my least favorite month, too. Other than St. Patty's Day (which warrants just a brief nod for us) there's not a lot to celebrate.

    Thank you for sharing the meditation. It sounds comforting and since it's so short, manageable. I have a hard time sticking with things that take too long!

    Off to read the article you linked to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun glimpse into your day.

    I need to write a post - it's March 7 and I haven't posted yet for the month. And, your post give me an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to get that lotion!

    I'm so sorry you lost your friend. She sounds like she was pure sunshine.

    hugs to you, my friend,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  12. so sorry about your dear friend !

    I like this daybook post / I'll check out the link

    The cat...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. It seems you have fond memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. March IS fickle - woke up to 8 inches of snow this morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love when you do these posts, Melanie - and thanks for introducing me to that amazing song - I'm going to look up more of their stuff and see if they are on Pandora!! Love their style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pictures tell stories that even your words don't completely convey. I look forward to another visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sad about your friend! She sounds like she was a delightful person. I actually remember Wang word processing. It seems like so very long ago. It's rather amazing when I think about how much technology has changed the workplace. I don't think my grandkids even know what a typewriter is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!