Monday, September 23, 2013

books to the ceiling

 The Billy bookcases were delivered last Thursday and Brian finished putting
them together last night. He then dragged out the 10 or so tote containers
full of books from the unfinished part of the basement. I worked for several
hours last night unpacking the books, semi-organizing them, and starting
to put them in one of the cases.


I'm really glad that I chose the white ones, now that I see them down here
in the family room. Thanks again to all who offered their opinion!

 Now here's my dilemma.
I am freaking out a little that I won't have enough room for all
my books! I took three of the shelves from the bookcase on the right
and put them in the bookcase on the left to make more room. You can
buy extra shelves from IKEA, so that's no problem. However, I have a 
ton of books. There are books piled everywhere!


We did also buy a smaller bookcase for this wall.


 But, there's still more books piled on the bottom of this end table...


And in this basket...


 I have at least 100 more books upstairs, but those are happily
organized in the living room and my office.

Maybe I need a bigger house. Or more bookcases.
Or...less books. Ha! Not an option for this book lover.



18 comments:

  1. Oh, I can sympathize. I have boxes and boxes of books out in the shed and no place to put them. I've been thinking about two billy bookshelves for our den. Good luck!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. We finally have all our books on bookcases but only after having a serious purge a few years ago. I felt bad being so upset about it, because having too much literature is definitely a first-world problem, but it was stressful all the same. I love your basement, it looks so roomy. It must have been wonderful when your boys were little, lots of room to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is definitely a first-world problem. The land of abundance. The basement is indeed very roomy...there's more to it on the other side! After I finish with the books and get it all cleaned up, I'll post pictures of everything.

      Delete
  3. They look so nice, Melanie! Maybe you can get a few more later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're talking more bookcases and not more books, lol.

      Delete
  4. Well now you have your very own library, Melanie! Put a little table and chairs near the big bookcases and have a little coffee or beverage while you look through your books. I've always liked that in my homes.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I'm going to do, Brenda! See the round brown table with all the books stacked on it? That's going in front of the bookcases with a couple of chairs. :-)

      Delete
  5. The white shelves look great! You will figure it out, you have lots of talent at arranging.
    My preference for books is a Kindle but I know you prefer the paper ones.m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the white shelves! Can't read on a Kindle - tried it and hated it. I have to have a "real" book. :-)

      Delete
  6. I had a ton of books too and not enough shelves, ended up donating some to a bookstore near my home.
    But, if my house was bigger...I think I would have gotten more bookshelves - LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I am weeding some out as I'm going. I listed some on paperbackswap and I have a big grocery bag full of others to donate. It's a little bit of a start! My husband actually suggested perhaps more bookcases on the other side of the basement. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Some people line a whole wall with bookcases like a library. Have you checked out www.booksfreeswap.com?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mel, The bookcases will fill up fast, especially the way you love books. I was ruthless when I edited my collection and still am running out of room. More bookcases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think we're going to end up buying one more tall bookcase.

      Delete
  9. Oh dear, you do have a lot of books. I guess buy more white book cases. I have started trading mine at 2nd and Charles. I am out of space. xo, Olive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all books I have not read yet, by the way. A friend once said to me, "You'll never read all those books before you die." Umm...I didn't know how to take that one!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!