Monday, February 27, 2012

this little light

Remember that little lamp in my kitchen - the one with the plain white shade?
I thought of adding some pom-pom fringe to the bottom of the shade
but then I realized that probably wouldn't look "right" in the kitchen.
So, while browsing the rick-rack options at the local Michael's store,
I found this flowered red trim and thought it was perfect.


Much better than plain, boring white!


Counter areas tend to be dark if you don't have any under-cabinet lighting ~
which I don't.
So, I added a little lamp to a corner to brighten things up a bit.
I think it looks pretty cute in the corner, even in the daytime.



I have three floating shelves above my fireplace instead of a mantle.
I play around with my decor and change things around often
and the shelves are no exception.
I saw the idea of using wine glasses as decorative items either in a magazine
or on Pinterest...can't remember which.
Anyway, I played around with the glasses and came up with this
arrangement for one of the shelves.
Not sure if I'm totally digging this look, but I'll live with it for now.


Here's what the three shelves look like...



How about candlelight?
I think it cozies up a room, especially in the winter.
This little table sits in my living room between the couch and chair.



11 comments:

  1. I love your kitchen. Our tastes are very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie the lampshade re-do looks terrific. I love that you have enough room for a lamp on your kitchen counter. The free flowing shelves above your fireplace are lovely. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks wonderful, especially the glasses on your mantle. What a cute idea. Love the pictures hanging low on the wall too.

    blessings, jilly
    visiting from Rhonda's 'if you do stuff"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I need a lamp under my cabinets too. You and Kim K both redid lampshades, so I've had lots of inspiration this week. I like the upside down wineglass candle trick. My niece is thinking of doing that for centerpieces at her wedding... with flowers under the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, you have just a pretty and comfortable home, I would love to come visit.
    I have never seen glasses used like you are - that is so cute! I think I will pin you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lampshade is so cute now! I always love a bit of trim on things. Your shelves above the fpl is such a neat idea. I may have told you this before, but I love how you've utilized the wall under the window!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, that's perfect! Just the right amount of red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie, you are always tweaking your home decor! I don't do it as much as I used to, but I do add little touches now and then. Home Goods is my addiction! But major overhaul going on now, we are about to replace the flooring in the whole house. Hardwood downstairs, carpet upstairs and ceramic tile on the bathroom floors. I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just the right touch Melanie! And I love the candles. I use candles all the time too.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wine glasses turned upside down to hold your candle votives was such a wonderful idea and it really looks very nice. I've never seen that done before. I will definitely pass this idea on to my daughter who loves wine, nice wine glasses and candles. This decorating idea will give her something to work on in her apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything in your home is so lovely, just like you!!
    Your mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!