Tuesday, May 28, 2024

it's about time

Hello! I can't believe it's been two months since I've posted. Not sure what the future holds for my blog. I haven't had much of a desire to keep up with it. It's so much easier to post on IG. If you don't already follow me there, please send me a follow request (my page is on private) at melaniescomfyhouse. 


I think May is my favorite month of the year. Spring finally and truly makes an appearance here. Planting begins, weddings, graduations and barbeques are in full swing, shorts and t-shirts come out of storage, dining al fresco becomes a thing again, windows are open for the beautiful cool breezes, and there's usually a nice mixture of sunshine and rain in May ~ without the extreme humidity that we get in the summer. Though this year, we've had more than enough rain this month. Lots of thunderstorms and even a tornado warning the other night.


I've made my annual trek to my two favorite garden centers and got my big pots planted. Of course, they'll look much better when they fill out. I did this same planting last year: begonias, rosemary and a trailing vine. By August, this should be huge and lush, with vines trailing down the sides of the planter.


This is my first time planting the colorful annual, mimulus ~ also known as monkey flower. The licorine plant vine is also new to me.


Another new-to-me annual that I fell in love with with I saw it: Iresine, or Blood Leaf. It's native to Brazil. Love the bold color and shape of the leaves. 


We don't have enough sun on our small piece of property to plant a veggie garden, so we plant a few things in pots: tomatoes, red onion, purple bell pepper.


My butterfly garden is mostly green right now; just the Columbine is in bloom.


If you're in the US, I hope you enjoyed your long holiday weekend. (Thank you to those who served and sacrificed their lives for our country.) We attended a retirement party; I spent time with friends; and another day we spent the day in Wisconsin. We discovered an amazing garden center (Bluemel's) with an attached coffee shop. I was in heaven! The dome is from an old high school.


Inside of the dome still has the high school kid's signatures.


The inside of the coffee shop is welcoming and charming, but best of all was the coffee. They serve Colectivo ~ one of my favorites. (I admit: I'm a coffee snob.) Colectivo is Milwaukee based, but they now have locations in the Chicago area. 


There's a huge, covered patio between the coffee shop and garden center, so we took our drinks and sat out on the patio for awhile. 


Then we took a walk around the garden center. These are some of the annuals and hanging baskets I admired...




I came home with this gorgeous hanging plant ~ Thunbergia. Love the vines and the delicate pink flowers.


After we were done at the garden center, we headed to the charming town of Cedarburg. Spent the rest of the day walking around and popping into various shops, having lunch at one of our favorite spots in this town, and basically just enjoying the perfectly beautiful day. 



Lastly, on a totally different subject: a kitty update! Remember Blanco, the feral? He's still around and comes most every day for food. Poor thing currently has beat-up ears. I have tried several times in the past couple of years to trap him for TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release), to no avail. And now the trap I have borrowed from a friend is defective. A cat can squeeze through an opening in the front of the cage. Not sure where I can buy a trap; perhaps a farm supply store. It's on my to-do list. By the way, I am not this close to Blanco in this photo. This is taken through the glass of my screen door. He still won't let me within at least six feet of him.


And my sweet Clementine...she is still unbelievably very much with us! She's around 15 years old now and in stage 4 kidney disease. She also has hyperthyroidism. When she was nine years old and first diagnosed with kidney disease, the vet told me she'd probably only live about another 1-1/2 years. And then in 2022 when she lost an upper fang, the vet dentist said that without surgery (all her other teeth are bad, too - very common in cats, especially as they age), she'd get a massive infection where the fang used to be and that she'd only live another few weeks to a few months. But the thing was, it'd be extremely risky for her to have the surgery, because her heart might've not been strong enough. Not to mention, they estimated the dental surgery would be about $3000. Welp...over two years later with no dental surgery, she's doing just fine.


For those of you still following me here and leaving comments and sending me emails, thank you for hanging in there with me. 💖



10 comments:

  1. Wow, Clementine is doing so well, that's fantastic!! I'm sure you really enjoy her. Your flowers are gorgeous. I love the pink ones...peonies? We used to have a bush at our old house and I miss it. It's always fun to catch up with you on your adventures. You really do visit some very charming places. Happy May!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear - great post even though we are following on IG and I've seen some of these gorgeous pix already! Love that garden center with the dome - wish it was closer, or I lived closer to you, and we could meet there for coffee! What a fun time we'd have.
    Glad sweet Clementine is still managing - thanks to you, her great 'parents' I'm certain.
    Veggies looking like they're off to a good start. Only growing herbs here - too much going on with Bob to get too involved in veg gardening - will have to shop at the Farmers' Market this summer.
    Hugs - see you around IG - like you I'm not blog posting often either - time flies and I don't!!!!!!
    Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see a post from you, Melanie. I sure understand about the quickness with IG. I have an account, but got a bit disenchanted when my feed became filled with accounts I wasn't following and a few ads too. It seemed to be becoming a ton of scrolling just to see the posts by the people I was following.
    Your flowers all look so pretty, especially that gorgeous bouquet of peonies.
    Wow, that garden center looks like heaven on earth. All of that beauty and a good cup of coffee. Fabulous!
    Glad to hear your Clementine is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go clementine. When it is your time you will go but not a second before that lol! She is so loved that she does not want to leave you. The garden center looks really nice. When we lived in Arlington Heights Terry and I would frequent going to Cedarburg for the day. Love that cute little town. Glad you had a good weekend. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melanie! It's always fun to see what you are up to via your blog. Yes, I do follow you on Facebook and Instagram, but I am old school, I guess, and find that I still enjoy the greater detail on blogs. I do understand why you are unsure about continuing your blog. It can be time consuming and sometimes challenging to come up with content. I love all the flowers in this post. You peonies are beautiful! I have a small peony bush, but it isn't doing great. I only got a couple of flowers this year. That garden center/coffee shop looks so cool - what a fun place to browse and spend an afternoon. I also love your container garden. We are considering buying a home for retirement that doesn't have the garden space I have at my current home, so we may be doing container gardens as well. It's good to see that Clementines is still hanging on. I hope you have a good summer. I will continue to look for you on Facebook and Instagram when I am there. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to see Clementine looking so healthy. This was a beautiful post, thanks for letting us tag along with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you had lunch in Cedarburg just below where we were for coffee. It was a little piece of heaven.
    Clementine....I just love her so. I can't wait to see her (and you) tomorrow.
    Your flowers are so lovely. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to see a new post from you! I like IG, but it doesn't even come close to blogging in my opinion. May is my favorite month and also happens to be my birthday month. Your peonies are gorgeous by the way! I'm glad you enjoyed your day in Cedarburg. It looks like such a charming town. I'd love to visit there someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to see an update from you! I get it about retiring the blog, but I do love coming over here. Someday, I have to stop in Cedarburg when we're in Wisconsin. And that coffee/garden shop sounds fabulous, too. I'm so behind with my garden, having been gone for the past two weeks. Your flower pots have me itching to get outside and get some things planted, which I will this week. So glad to hear Clementine is still doing well! And that white kitty -- he's so lucky to have you. <3 Oh, I missed my peonies blooming, but my neighbors said they were lovely, so I'm glad someone enjoyed them. Maybe Spring isn't such a great time to travel, being a gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s such a delight to find a new plant nursery! I do love that pink thunbergia, but I don’t dare bring one to my hot and sunny garden. I had one years ago, and it wilted daily! I get it about keeping up with the blog, but I’m still doing it every month. I guess I like the idea of having a personal record everything each month, but mostly because my elderly female relatives get so much pleasure from it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!