Tuesday, September 13, 2022

slowly transitioning decor towards fall

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a summer lover. I crave warmth and sunshine (minus the humidity) and could easily live year-round in shorts and t-shirts. I try to enjoy summer as long as I can, especially since the season is short here in northeast Illinois. I officially have eight more days of summer to enjoy.

(My friend's beautiful back yard.)

As usual, all over social media I see people already decorating with pumpkins and scarecrows and other fall decor. I know ~ each to their own. But I never was one for rushing seasons. (Or holidays.) Except for winter. I totally understand rushing winter. 😜

I can't deny the season is changing. The late afternoon sun is dappled and softer, casting long shadows through my living room curtains. The neighbor's huge maple tree across the street is already tinged with red. Farmer's fields have a golden glow. Dried leaves litter the sidewalk. It gets dark just a few minutes past 7:00 p.m. now. 

Since I'm not dragging out my fall decor yet, I'm slowly transitioning my summer decor to softer, darker, and more natural colors.



If you're wondering what that honeycomb structure is in the plant, it's two trellises. I was using one to hold up one of my snake plants and wasn't using the other. I recently transplanted two dieffenbachia plants into this one plant pot and from the transplant shock, the plants were falling over. So I'm giving them a little help as they get used to their new home.


These trellises are sturdy, look nice and support the plant. I found them on Amazon


Bright colored summer couch pillows got packed away and fall ones took their place. 

Remember the lace piece I showed you in my August 23rd post ~ the one I ended up putting in my living room window? I moved it to the top wicker tray on the wall by the couch. I like the way the texture softens this corner.




I cut some of my last hydrangea blooms. They're beautiful even when dry and will look lovely in fall vignettes.


Found a new pillow for our bed at TJ Maxx. I never used to be a fan of yellows and golds but find I'm drawn to them lately.

 

Are you decorating for fall yet? 


10 comments:

  1. I haven't really changed our decor much and won't do much decorating until Christmas. I used to do much more when the kids were little and all at home. I love the changes you have made for fall. I love the honeycomb trellises. They are so unique and look great. I have plants like the ones you pictured in this post. I love having plants in the house. Hope you are having a good week. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just using natural earthy colors. I love fall because the summers here are brutal, although I haven't really been outside this summer. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am slowly changing out some of my summer for fall. I do not do a lot in this small condo but I like to have a little bit of fall. Love those things you found on Amazon for your plants. Have a great rest of the week. We are getting some pretty nice weather. Yay! Let's hope we get a fall that is nice. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your slowly-changing decor. Those trellises are also lovely. I have some plants that could use some help, so I'll order those.. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, I think of September as the mellow season and your colors seem perfect for it. The lace piece does look pretty against the basket. Will you use one for the other basket if you come across one you like? It looks as if the two framed pieces over your bed are lace too? I love old pieces of fabric and bits of lace and crochet. They're my weakness (as well as books of course). I love the colors in your beautiful bed dressings! I saw somewhere that caramel and cream are the trending colors for this fall and you're already into them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think "transition" is another season, and you have done it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even when I lived in NC I did not decorate for fall until October 1st. Here in Florida I will also wait until October. A little goes a long way here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I'm slowly transitioning to fall. It's my favorite season, but I don't like to rush things. Life goes fast enough! Our town's fall festival is tomorrow, so that's when I usually pull the plug on summer and start putting out the pumpkins! Your place looks lovely, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way you are slowly transitioning into fall. I particularly like the hydrangea in the kitty cat vase. I hope you are enjoying this final day of summer.
    I did some fall decorating over the Labor Day weekend as it was rainy and I was bored.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As much as I love fall, like you, I don’t rush the seasons. I don’t put out fall decorations until the weather FEELS like fall. This year, the first chilly day fell on the first day of fall, so I did run out and get some pumpkins and such that very day. I’m all decorated for fall now, and loving it! Now for the colors to appear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!