Tuesday, August 23, 2022

some new-old decor for my home

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of stopping in The Half Full Nest. I didn't get a chance to truly look at everything as it was near closing time. The store is in a historic church and filled with both old and new items for the home.







The only thing that really called out to me in my quick look around was this vintage teapot. I love both unique teapots and owls, plus the color is good in my kitchen.


A favorite store I've mentioned on my blog before is Vintage Art & Findings. I hadn't been in there in a long time and the shop owner, Mary and I always have a lovely chat. I was overdue for a visit! Her shop is filled with lots of vintage and one-of-a-kind altered and repurposed art items. I found this pretty altered tray that I placed in the white frame in my kitchen. I think it's perfect for transitioning into fall. (I'm not hurrying summer along by any means!)


Mary made this piece from an old screen. The photo isn't the best - it's much prettier in person.


I had been looking for just the right thing to put on the narrow wall space by the front door. I believe this is it!



Couldn't resist this stack of vintage flash cards....


and this doily art.

I kept holding it up in various places in my house and nothing seemed like the right place. Do you ever do that...buy something just because you're drawn to it, but having no idea where you'll put it? I don't do that as often as I used to: in this later stage of my life I'm getting rid of more stuff than I bring in. BUT. I really liked this piece and knew I could work with it.


I held it up to a window and thought, "aha!" 


That's where it's staying for now.


Have a good week! 


10 comments:

  1. How nice that you were able to get out and visit those interesting shops. I must say I enjoyed tagging along with you. You got some great finds. I love the owl tea pot. So unique. I would have gone for that bird picture in a minute. Good thing I wasn't really with you or we might have had to arm wrestle for it. Ha! It looks just perfect in your entryway. To answer your question, yes I often buy things that I like, but don't know where they will go. That's part of the fun, isn't it? Going home and figuring it all out. I like the lace piece in your window because you can still see past it to the outside. I think it would also look nice in the winter when the snow flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie! I love all of these "new" additions to your home. They all look great. Those vintage shops look like great places to browse and find some great treasures. I have a plant stand just like that white one in your pictures. Right now, It is out on our patio, but I think I may bring it in and find a good place for it, because I do love having plants in the house. It's always great to see what is going on in your world. Have a good week. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing with some doilies my grandmother made — and I hung them in windows! I loved it and I think yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cool store! I love how you decorate your home. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new decor for the window! Great finds. The red and white transferware pieces got my attention.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun day! I love all your choices and the bird print in the old screen looks so right with your other things in your entry. The doily art is lovely in the window in front of that unique plant stand and I would not have been able to pass up the shape and decoration of that teapot either. I think I could find at least one thing from all of the shop pictures you showed. Especially two scales, even though I have no room for another scale. I noticed the silver bird by the silver tea pot, either a partridge or a quail? I wonder if silver items are selling less inexpensively now that everyone seems to be into brass? I remember when brass fell out of fashion quickly back in the 1990s I think. I'm so glad you had a lovely shopping day and I hope winter does not come too soon for you, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Half Nest and have visited it on occasion. Love all her neat things she sells. Glad you could go there and find somethings. Have a great rest of the week. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool place. I've been only shopping for home decor in thrift stores lately, but it would be fun to see some new items in a shop, as well. Lately, I've been gathering red transferware, I see some pretty pieces in your photos. Wish I lived closer to visit...what fun we'd have shopping there together! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of your new-old purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun shops you have in your area! You found just the right spot for your doily art, love it in the window. I keep thinking it might also look nice with a small painted area behind it. Perhaps you could paint a simple circle of a darker color, and place it there. It would really stand out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!