Monday, February 7, 2022

it's almost time to say goodbye to monkey ~ and a tray of hearts

I am keeping this post short today as I can barely stomach writing on this subject. We decided today that it's time to say goodbye to Monkey. We've been talking about it for days and I just wasn't ready. I kept thinking he was going to rally like he'd been doing. But there's no more rallying. 

The only time he eats is in the morning and it's just a few bites of his food as we hand-feed him. He is even refusing fresh chicken and a lick of Kerrygold butter (his faves). He hides a lot of the time or just lies on our bed. The only times he moves is to go downstairs to use the cat box (we're surprised he can still do that) or to use the scratching post in the living room. He hasn't groomed himself in about two weeks so I've been brushing him every day.

I put him in his "nest" this morning just to see what he'd do. It used to be his favorite spot where he'd snooze all morning after breakfast. He sat there for a few minutes and then jumped down and went back into our bedroom.


We are using a veterinary hospice and euthanasia service where the vet comes to your home. There are four female vets on staff. One of those vets will be here tomorrow afternoon. It is time to give him the gift of peace. Brian and I are devastated and heartbroken. We have already shed many tears. This sucks. It's not fair because he's young (11) for a cat. He was perfectly healthy until this rare nasal cancer happened out of the blue. 



To change the subject and end with something pretty, I dug out all my handmade hearts and displayed them in a tray for Valentine's Day. Some of these were made by two blogger friends: Penny at At Home in English Valley and Carol at Art and Sand. The tiny vintage ones with the bows as well as the large quilted white and gray one on the right were purchased as a set several years ago at an antique shop.


Thank you for your support. It means so much to me. If you would like to pray for us tomorrow afternoon or if you're not the praying type, just send some love our way ~ all of it would be greatly appreciated and accepted. 
💔

18 comments:

  1. Yes, you are in my prayers, as is Monkey. I do believe that there is a place in heaven for our animal friends we love so much. God be with you all tomorrow. I love those sweet little hearts. Sending you much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest in peace as your cross the Rainbow Bridge, Monkey. Sending much love to your humans ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping you and Brian and sweet Monkey in my prayers. Hugs to you, Melanie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about Monkey. It is nice that you can do it at home rather than in a cold and clinical setting. He will be much more at peace. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Melanie, I'm so very sorry. I know that words don't help but please know that you're in my prayers and heart. Monkey is a beautiful little soul and I know the days ahead will be so difficult. I just give thanks that he had you and Brian for his people. Thinking of you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Melanie, I'm crying along with you. It's the worst thing to have to do, and I know that myself. This is a devastating loss and you'll need all the comfort you can get. I'm so very sorry. I'm seeing this late, so he already may have crossed The Rainbow Bridge. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thoughts and prayers for you and your family. So sorry for your loss, never easy. I am sure the life he had with you was the best.
    Peggy D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so sad. Be gentle with yourself. You are like that bowl of sweet and dear hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sad. You are as seeet and dear as the bowl of hearts. Be gentle with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending you and Brian so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been there and am so, so sorry. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry that I didn't see your post until today, but know that you are in my prayers. Sending hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not see this post til just now. Oh Melanie - I am so sorry for you. Sending you prayers and hugs. It is so hard and it sucks. Try to think of all the love and happiness you shared. Monkey was lucky to have your family and you were fortunate to have him. Love continues on ... it has no end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I am so sorry Melanie, I am just now seeing your post. My heart goes out to you both. I know how very precious our fur babies are to us. They are family. He has had such a wonderful life with you. Prayers for you both! My heart wrenches when anyone loses a pet. Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Melanie! I'm so, so sorry. I didn't see your post, somehow I missed it, but then I saw your Instagram last night so came by to check. I know you were expecting it, but it still feels shocking, I'm sure. Big hugs my friend. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!