Tuesday, August 14, 2018

the language of kindness



This afternoon I was in my garage, hunting for my pruning shears. I heard a sweet, quiet voice behind me say, "Excuse me!" I turned and saw two young Mexican girls, one holding a large metal tin of fresh peaches. I knew who these girls were. Their family lives down the street and even though the mother doesn't speak much English, we always smile and say hello to each other. The girl holding the peaches said, "Would you like some peaches?"

This family has four peach trees in their yard. I wasn't sure if they were selling them or gifting them. I replied, "I would love a few peaches!" The girl looked at me shyly and said, "You can have all of them!" I said, "Really? This entire container?" Both girls giggled and said, "Yes!" I told them I was going into the house to get a big bowl and I'd be right back.

As I was gingerly plucking the peaches from the metal tin and putting them into my bowl, I was chatting to the girls about how appreciative I was; to tell their mother I said thank you; and that I might have to make a peach pie. I'm not sure how much they understood, but the whole while, I was being gazed up at with two pairs of big, brown, adoring eyes and the sweetest smiles. They skipped away as I clutched the bowl of prized jewels to my chest and went into my house.

There is no language barrier when it comes to kindness.
Pass it on. 💓

19 comments:

  1. What a heartwarming story, Melanie!!! You are so right- there are no barriers when it comes to kindness (and love). Happy baking!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. And imagine how disappointed they would have been if you had said no. Precious story! You made their day, as much as they made yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we moved into our home in 2005, I was working in my front yard pulling weeds to distract me from moving day realities. My new-to-me neighbor (also Mexican) walked over with tomatoes in her hands from her garden, welcoming me to the neighborhood. I won't ever forget her kindness either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, Melanie! I could just see the picture there of you and these two sweet girls, each of you recognizing the other as a kind neighbor. May this kindness spread like ripples in a pond everywhere we go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum pie and love, how can you beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely....What a beautiful way to get to know your neighbors...perhaps 2 pies - one for you and one for them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need more of this in the news, Melanie!! I know there is a lot of going on in our world, as I see it all the time, too. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mel this is such a sweet story. How cute the girls were to come and show kindness. Kuddo's to their mom to be teaching them kindness. Yum peach pie sounds so good.
    I agree with Carrie I think you should make a few pies and send one down to them to repay the kindness.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet! I can almost taste that peach pie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Learn a few kind words of Spanish to pass onto their mom when you see her! Lovely story. Enjoy those peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this and I know you will enjoy eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, this made me smile. We need more of this:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pay it forward, my friend! One of my canning books has a recipe for peaches in vanilla syrup....I'm dying to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How very sweet! I must say that I see more of this than what is shown in the news. Most people that I come in contact with are good, caring people. There is a lot of kindness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sweet!! Those peaches look amazing😊. Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!