Monday, April 23, 2018

new hallway lighting ~ happy earth day

HAPPY EARTH DAY!

Earth Day - April 22, 2018 - is 48 years old. It was started in 1970 by Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin, who hoped to make the environment a political issue. It's interesting to learn how this day came about. You can read here for a short history.

We can all do our part in simple ways to take care of our planet. Recycle, use cloth napkins instead of paper ones, use real dishes instead of paper or plastic, don't let water run while we brush our teeth, bring your own grocery bags into the store, use a reusable water bottle (I have a Hydro Flask) instead of plastic water bottles, use earth-friendly cleaning products, turn off appliances and lights when not in use, and use energy-efficient appliances and lighting. 

As a member of the Wayfair Homemaker program, I have been compensated for this post. All ideas and opinions are completely my own.

Most of the lighting in our home is up-to-date and we do use compact fluorescent bulbs...except for the old hallway light.


Yes, indeed ~ we were living with a "boob light" in the hallway.
Not only was it old-fashioned and not exactly pretty, but it wasn't energy efficient either.


It was definitely time for an update and with Earth Day making an appearance, there was no better time to choose an energy-efficient, modern light for our hallway. Wayfair has a fantastic selection of flush mounts to choose from. 

I ultimately chose the Triangulum 2-Light Flush Mount in Venetian Bronze for our hallway.



Good thing I have a built-in handyman because I'm not exactly Mrs. Fix-it! Taking down the "boob light" and installing the new one was a smooth process and took about 45 minutes.


The new, updated look is so much better, don't you think?


It's amazing how one simple change can transform a room.


We used two compact fluorescent lightbulbs in this light fixture, which do not even use half the energy of just one 60-watt incandescent bulb. 


What are some of the things that you do to leave a smaller ecological footprint?

14 comments:

  1. The new light fixture definitely makes a difference. Looks great. We've had yucky, dusty weather the past several days so I've not been able to get out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really like that new light (and the runner in your hallway). What a difference it makes! We do a lot of the things that you mentioned -- cloth napkins, real dishes, our own grocery bags, we each have our favorite water bottles. We recycle more than we throw away in the trash. My new goal is to just buy fewer things and do with less all around. It makes my environment more peaceful, and is better for the overall environment, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks beautiful, Melanie...such a lovely hallway space! The new light fixture is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I like the new look, it's fresh and modern. I have two boob lights in my house, sadly, one in the foyer and one in the laundry room. I'd like to replace them but they're okay for now. Ideally, I'd get a light tube installed in the foyer, but that's a big job and not cheap. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That really is a dramatic difference and it looks amazing! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that light!! What a difference it makes. I have THE ugliest light in our foyer that has been there since before we moved in. We need to change it STAT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great, Melanie! I turn off the water when I brush my teeth. I don't buy bottled water and sparingly turn on lights.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that light. My duplex maintenance man put a new light in my laundry room that doesn't need bulbs and I'm so thankful as climbing on a ladder isn't so good for me these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The light looks great. I do a lot of freezing of leftover instead of throwing out. Like is I have any leftover tomatoe paste I freeze it in tablespoons, and do the same for leftover chipotle in Adope sauce. If i buy fresh herbs and don't use it all I flash freeze to use later. I don't buy water botte either but use a purifiying system.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You new light looks very nice. I have 5 boob lights! And this place is only 2 years old. I guess mine are the newer version as they are bronze and the glass looks like it is filled with white smoke. I had never thought about them as 'boob' lights until I saw them called that on a DIY website. Before that I really liked them. Now I can't get that picture out of my mind! They each have 3 compact fluorescent bulbs that I call 'pigtail' bulbs as that is what they remind me of. I am starting to replace burned out bulbs with GED bulbs. I don't like the fact that fluorescent bulbs have mercury in them and can't put them in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That light is PERFECT in your hallway!!! I love it with the red wall! I swapped out all my flourescents for LED's last year to use even less energy - you know how much I love all the little lamps and twinkle lights in my house but I don't want my electric bill to be a billion dollars each month! I have also been looking into solar panels for my house....I have quotes from a few companies, but haven't gone any farther with that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We use to have one of those boob lights in the hall too. We changed it years ago and I am not sure what the light is called, but it gives plenty of light off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I like your new light fixture! Isn't it amazing the difference it makes to your hallway. Very chic :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so pretty, Melanie! And I love your red wall at the end. We've replaced two light fixtures with energy efficient ones too and try to make replacements of anything more energy efficient. We don't have recyclable pickup where we live so I'm afraid we don't make the effort to carry them somewhere or the space to collect them separately but our children and grandchildren do so the younger generation in our family is super conscious of so much that we're not. Does buying stuff at Goodwill instead of purchasing it new count? That's recycling, right?

    I've read back on some of your posts and enjoyed it so much, loved your Easter prep!

    Best to you,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!