Tuesday, January 23, 2018

vintage findings

Yesterday it was damp but temps were 52 degrees - which is basically a heatwave for us in January. I opened my living room and kitchen windows to air out the house. The air smelled like the promise of spring. The cats kept sticking their noses in the open windows, too, sniffing all that crisp, fresh air.

Today, we woke up to this.

Ah, Illinois weather...you keep us on our toes.


This weekend, me and my mom popped into one of our favorite antique shops. Not only did we find some pretty treasures, but everything was 20% off. This vintage tablecloth is in perfect condition and fits my kitchen table just right. Monkey gives his approval.

Don't mind the tags sticking out of the back of the chair cushions. Those are new ones from IKEA and I wanted to make sure we really liked them and wanted to keep them before removing the tags. We do indeed like them - they are very comfortable and I think they look good - so the tags are now cut off. Just a heads up to anyone looking for kitchen chair cushions: you can't beat the price at IKEA. These were only $5 each. Our previous foam filled cushions were from Bed, Bath and Beyond and were $15 each. The foam in the cushions flattened rather quickly and became hard and uncomfortable. 



Close-up of the tablecloth. Looks spring-like, doesn't it? Only 55 more days, but who's counting? ;-)


I hesitated about this Limoges dish. I've always been attracted to Limoges. I love the patterns, the delicacy, the gold rims. Limoges was my maternal grandma's favorite, too. I'd never seen a piece like this before.


One edge curves seductively up. So unique. So, why did I hesitate about buying this? After all, the price was only $8. Because I didn't know where I was going to put it. I've been more aware of what I'm bringing into the house, especially since I've been working on decluttering and donating. I had the owner of the shop put this aside for me to think about as I looked around. In the end, Limoges won. And now sits on top of a table in our spare room, showing off its delicate charm and beauty.


Isn't this a cool vintage tin? It was made in Massilly, France. I'm using it to hold pens, a dry highlighter and sticky page markers. It sits on top of my current reading pile and notebook on the coffee table in the living room. Pretty and handy all at the same time.


In a little nook in the back of the shop, sat this rag rug on top of the worn carpet. I didn't realize it was for sale until I saw a tag. The rug was dirty from customer foot traffic, but my mom said I could easily throw this rug into the washing machine. I loved the colors and had a feeling it'd look good in my kitchen. Sure enough, it washed fine and I hung it to dry. I think it looks great by my side kitchen door and it adds cheery color and texture to the room.


Have you found any vintage treasures lately?

14 comments:

  1. I always say, when it smells like spring, "I smell earth". It's that musty delicious smell that comes around each year. And apparently is coming around several times this year.
    I say this every time I read your blog, but you and I need to hit some of those amazing stores you go to.
    You have an eye, that I do not.
    I'll write a post about it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed that mild day while you could. Things have a way of changing quickly at this time of year.
    Great vintage treasures you found. I love the vintage tablecloth. I have a few of them and find they add so much charm to the kitchen. The Limoges dish is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Melanie, you have perked my interest in getting out of the house and going thrifting. I haven't been in quite a while. It's like you said, I need to be decluttering and not purchasing, but it's so much fun to find the perfect vintage bargains to breath a little new life into our homes. That table cloth is wonderful, it certainly is in great shape, too. also that rag rug, it adds a sweet charm to entering your backdoor.
    Wishing you a lovely day . . . sit at your pretty new table setting and think Spring:)
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that first photo of snow on the trees. So pretty! Your antiquing posts always leave me wanting to go shopping. Love all your neat finds, especially that tablecloth. I've been adding little breaths of spring around the house. Especially sweet when there's snow on the ground outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your finds, Melanie. The tablecloth is just beautiful. I have a few vintage tablecloths that I love to use but only on the dining room table for now, with young kids still. They would destroy it if I used it in the kitchen where we usually eat. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, you found some great things! I just love your tablecloth and rag rug. I have a pretty vintage spring tablecloth that you made me think of. Think I'll get mine out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Visiting you from sweet Connie's blog! Love the tablecloth, beautiful dish and the rag rug! No, I have not found any vintage treasures yet but would love too! Nancy from http://cozythymecottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your treasures, Melanie - I'm particularly drawn to linens and textiles so that tablecloth and that rug really jump out at me - awesome finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you found some great treasures but I was laughing at the beginning of the post because clearly you sent your weather my way :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Melanie,
    Maybe you have told me this and I forgot but where in Illinois do you live? Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the rug, Melanie, I'm glad you realized it was cotton! How cheerful and bright. I wish I knew how to crochet. The 1940s tablecloths are one of my all time favorite things with rag rugs definitely coming in close by. Yes, the snow was beautiful this morning. Little slippery on the feet later, but lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You found some lovely goodies, Melanie...my favorite is the wonderful rag rug!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so impressed by what you found. Antique stores in my area are so pricey. That tablecloth would be out of my range, but it is absolutely lovely. Enjoy your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your new tablecloth and is so cottagey cute. You did find some goodies and love the rag rug too. With the warmer weather we replaced the rotting privacy screen on the back porch. My problem is volunteerig at a thrift store has me finding way to MANY goodies. So I've been clearing out...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!