Monday, October 17, 2016

such a pretty house

I've always had a thing for beautiful houses. And by beautiful, I don't necessarily mean big. I actually prefer smaller, charming houses. Houses with character. A bonus for me is getting to see the inside of the house, too: the architectural and decorating details. I've been this way since I was a little girl. Sometimes my parents would take me and my sister with them to look at a model home. Do you remember when you were a kid and your parents would drag you somewhere with them (garage sales, the grocery store, the bank...model homes?!) and you'd moan and groan because those places were just so darn boring? Well, I actually enjoyed going to model homes. 

This weekend I went to an Open House where the owners were selling their homemade candles. They have a business making natural soy based candles crafted out of wine and beer bottles. There were other vendors there, too selling things such as handmade jewelry and pillow covers, framed art, and knitted scarves. The neighborhood itself was peaceful and lined with beautiful trees.


Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of the outside of the house, but I did take a few of the inside. My disclaimer is that these pictures aren't the best because 1) there was a party going on and 2) I probably looked like a weirdo snapping all kinds of pictures inside their house, so I took the pictures in a hurry.

When you walk in the front door, you're in a separate entryway that's about 8x8'. There was a long coat hook rack on the left wall. What a great space to be able to take off all your winter gear and hang it up before you even enter the house! Or to welcome guests and have enough space for their coats, as well.


To the right of the entryway is a cool chest. This would be a perfect place to store mittens, hats and scarves. So easy to find and grab when you're going out the door. I'm sure the owners re-purposed this pieces themselves because they're both very creative.


When you step inside the house, the living room and dining room are one big open room. The hardwood floors and moldings were all gorgeous.


An iron chandelier hangs over the dining room table. One of the owners of the house was telling me her brother found this piece for her. I love how she put wine bottles in it.


Off the main living areas were several rooms, all flanked by french doors. One of the owners is a massage therapist so this room is used for her business.


Another room off the main living area...love the beadboard ceiling and the windows.


A cozy nook for reading.


I wish there was a way I could get a good photo of the fireplace, but it was impossible with the vendors there. It's double-sided: this side was facing a small room off the dining room and the other side faces the kitchen.


The custom cabinetry in the kitchen uses lighter colored cabinets on top and darker cabinets on bottom. Love the built-in range and stovetop ~ and the deep red walls.


Details...original glass knobs on all the doors.


I didn't get a chance to see any of the bedrooms or bathrooms, but they're having another Open House right before Christmas. Maybe I can be more voyeuristic then, ha ha.

Some pretty details outside...an old iron gate and chair turned planter.


I did take a photo of the house next door because I particularly favored this one: cottage meets Craftsman.


Lest you think I only went to this Open House to take pictures...I did buy a few things. :-)

Framed art...


and one of the homeowner's "famous" candles. The scent is currant, which is one of my favorite candle scents. I'm very particular about scents and strong odors because of my allergies. I also won't use any kind of artificial, toxic scents in my home, so this candle is perfect. I also bought one other little thing, but it's a Christmas gift, so I can't show it. ;-)


Speaking of homes and lovely details, our contractor was here last week to give us a quote on doing some some work in the kitchen and finally getting a mantle for our fireplace. Details later! Have a beautiful week.

PS: Thanks for all your good thoughts and wishes about my knee surgery...but, I'm not having the surgery after all! At least, not just yet. The pain has greatly diminished for now and I'm also seeking a second opinion.

15 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try my hand at candle making, but doubt I'll ever get around to it. I actually find blogs, and now if they have a big house, it is simply of no interest to me, and I pass it by. Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't want a big house again.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear your knee pain has greatly reduced. That is great news! Maybe you won't have to have surgery at all.

    It sounds like you had a great time going through this house seeing the vendors wares and the house itself.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you can avoid surgery for a long time! thanks for the lovely tour

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative home. The candle looks great! I don't use candles much because of my allergies also. Glad to hear you knee is better and getting a second opinion is always a good thing! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are better so you can put off the surgery - going under the knife is not something to rush into.

    So many fun things to look at in that house.

    This summer we went to a party at the home of one of Steve's customers - he has bought a few paintings. I laughed as we drove up because it is a house that I had posted a photo of on Instagram. It was even better up close and the inside was awesome. I was a good girl and didn't take any photos because I wasn't sure the owners would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a good girl, too. I asked the owner's permission to take photos, so no worries.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tour. I've just refurbished an old wooden box, replacing the rusty metal fittings with new ones. It now sits in our porch, to store winter hats, scarves and gloves. And it's a stool for pulling boots on and off.

      Delete
  6. I love looking at houses, too. I used to think I would like being a realtor, just to be able to look at houses all the time. But, now I have a friend who is a realtor and I can see that that is a very small part of what she does every day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A second opinion sounds like a great idea! Hope the pain stays away. Cute house, reminds me of my own. We have a lot of the same elements here. My house must be from the same time period!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great house - I love that kitchen!! Oh, and that house next door? Drooling!! I would love those candles, also - and currant is one of my faves, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The house is really cute and love the kitchen too! I fell totally in love with the house next door...such a charming home. I'm like you and find larger homes, rather unappealing...small is the way I go. Sorry to hear you knee will require surgery. Do you know when and how long recovery is?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news regarding the pain you were dealing with. I hope it stays away and surgery won't be necessary for you.
    I thoroughly enjoyed this house tour. I have always loved the opportunity to peek into other people's homes. That's probably one of the great attractions with blogging. The owner's of this house appear to be very artistic. Love your new candle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so right about the architectural details and I really love the varied choice in decor, it all adds up to lovely. That kitchen had me at "Hello"!

    I've only been to one house walk years ago in Beverly, I think you know the neighborhood, it's just a few minutes from here but much older. I was sick with jealousy! Back when I went things were a bit on the Victorian style that fit the homes way back when. Now there is a whole new generation of people and it'd be interesting to see a newer look.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely house! The "queen" quote is so so true...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!