Thursday, November 12, 2015

at home

 Today's the only day all week that I have completely at home.* And wouldn't you know it - I have a bad headache! Woke me up in the wee hours. I'm wondering if it's the weather...it's bleak. Cold, rainy, and very windy. No editing of the photo below - it really has been that gloomy all day.


 I love to make a big pot of soup in the colder months and then have plenty of leftovers to keep in the fridge. So easy to heat up for lunches or a quick dinner. Today I made a pot of veggie soup - with bacon. ;-) I added a little quinoa elbow pasta to make it more hearty and keep it gluten-free.


Speaking of healthy and gluten-free, I whip up these peanut butter cookies every so often when Brian and I have a hankering for something sweet. As I've mentioned, we gave up white sugar back in April. But, once in awhile, we still want something sweet. These are my go-to cookies because they're tasty, healthy, and amazingly simple to make. They're from the web site, My Whole Food Life. Believe it or not, they only have three ingredients: peanut butter (natural...please don't use/eat the cheap, unhealthy stuff with hydrogenated oil in it), pure maple syrup (again, use the real stuff - not the fake stuff that is nothing but water, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and chemicals) and salt. You can find the recipe here. The only downfall? If you use a standard cookie scoop, this recipe only makes seven cookies. You can tell which ones are mine...I stuck some dark chocolate chips on top of mine when I pulled them out of the oven. Yes, those do have sugar in them, but it's minimal because of the dark chocolate and I rarely eat chocolate chips. Once in a blue moon isn't going to kill me. ;-)
 

I know this photo doesn't have anything to do with my home - I wish it did! I was at a local coffee shop yesterday and was absolutely enamored with the decor. I tried that leather chair in the corner before I left and it was heavenly. I could've taken a nap in it. Now... you see the peek of the amazing blue sofa to your right?


This is it. I'm in love with it AND the coffee table. And the wall art and the lighting. I would've taken photos of the other side of the shop, but there were too many people sitting there. The windows in front of the shop are flanked with blue curtain panels that exactly match the color of the sofa. (Later edit: Brenda from Cozy Little House commented, "add books and I'd be in heaven!" Well, guess what? This place does indeed have books! There is a small bookshelf filled with books near the back of the shop. I don't know if they're just to read while there, or if people can borrow them. I'll have to find out next time I go - and take more pictures.)


Back to home. Think my kitties felt the bleakness of today, too? I threw this quilt on the couch and next thing I knew, they were all curled up and fast asleep in it. Except for Mr. Monkey. He knows when I'm taking his picture and has to look extra cute.


*Well, so much for staying at home all day today. My plans have been thwarted. We had to order some photography equipment for Tim and it was delivered to our house today. We didn't want it delivered to Tim's place at school because it was very expensive and we were afraid it'd get stolen. He needs the equipment ASAP, so we're going to meet up with him for dinner. Guess I'd better go and put on a little makeup and change out of my pajama pants. Happy Thursday, everyone.


20 comments:

  1. Your meal looks delicious! I have no idea what I'm going to eat, and I'm getting hungry too. Love a cozy little coffee shop like that! Now add books and I'd be in heaven.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must go back to my post and edit to add...this place DID have a small bookcase full of books!

      Delete
  2. I love the look of that soup! It was icky here today so I did stay in all day long!
    hugs,
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your veg soup looks great , I would just not have the bacon in it. Hope you are feeling a little better now. I suffer from migraines and I find the change in weather does bring them on. That coffee shop looks fab, so lovely to have sofas and chairs. perfect.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing quite as cozy as a cold rainy day at home....unless it's a cold, snowy day at home in front of a fire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blue sofa is pretty! I'm sorry you had that headache, the migraine sufferers in my family have been hit with them this week for some reason.

    Your soup looks delicious! I try to use quinoa as much as possible but haven't seen the elbow macaroni in it. I'll have to look for it.

    Enjoy your dinner out and I hope you feel better tomorrow!
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh- So sorry you had a headache on your day off. That is miserable!!!
    Your soup looks delicious. We make lots of soups this time of year, too. Hubby has been enamored with butternut squash soup lately. Can't go wrong there. We are still sticking to the Whole 30 -although I did break down and have a Starbucks or two. (no sugar in it though).
    Just had pork chops, potatoes and green beans tonight- It was SOO good!

    That place is fantastic, Melanie. I would love to curl up in that chair, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather has been the same here and I've had a headache for 3 days, so I feel your pain! It was snowing on my way home from work, so I think the headache is due to the change in weather.

    Great inspiring decor in your coffee shop! And you soup looks delish. I love the gluten free pasta choices available now! I try not to eat it often, but it tastes almost like the real thing.

    Hope your headache's gone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry you had a headache on your day off! That's that pits. Loved the photo of your kitty. I miss having a pet, especially a cat. Your soup sure looked yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to make those cookies. YUM!! xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally feel the same way about this weather. I guess we need to hunker down and get ready for another Chicago winter. I hope your head is feeling better. I'm finally on antibiotics--my flu has gone on for 4 weeks now. I woke up today with my head feeling worse than ever and I've been on them since Tuesday. And believe me, I've tried everything.

    Love the way the soup looks but sorry---I've never like peanut butter cookies or peanut butter anything except plain old peanuts!! Sounds like a great recipe though, three ingredients!!

    That is one cool coffee shop. I could spend some cozy time there easily.

    Stay warm, dry and distracted, I hear the weather will be better this weekend.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a shop downtown with comfy sofas where people hang out eating yummy sweets, drinking coffee and working on their computers. I have often thought that I should just head there one day to read all my favorite blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Melanie,

    Hope you're feeling better today!

    Despite OUR bleak weather, (we do live in twin cities, you know!), your cozy post has put a smile on my face! I LOVE that beautiful, blue sofa and coffee table - what character! You always make the tastiest soups and I would like to give this one a try; it looks and sounds delicious. The pretty red and white check quilt keeping your kitties warm is the finishing touch to making your home look fairy tale fun!

    Sorry it's taken me a while to visit; will fill you in via email, soon.

    Have a wonderfully whimsical day!

    Miss you!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely little shop, definitely cozy!! That soup looks amazing, too. I hope your headache is gone and you are able to enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope your headache has gone away! They make one feel so awful.

    Your soup and cookies look delicious.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Melanie, I'm glad you were able to enjoy a little gloomy-day time at home while you could. Your soup and cookies look awesome! I'm glad to hear that the diet is still going well. You must feel great. I hope you have a good weekend, take care and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a charming coffee shop. I could live there.

    Even with the sunny weather the last day or so, I've been feeling the cold too much lately. (How about all that wind earlier in the week!) I don't know why I'm struggling to adjust to fall/winter this year. So your soup looks pretty darn good right about now. I've never thought of adding quinoa to vegetable soup. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It has been that grey and bleak here this weekend and the end of last week too. I am glad that the weather is getting colder, because it should be colder, but I don't like the grey so much it has to be said. I hope that it has cleared up for you over the weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was grey but the last two days have been beautiful! Today we moved all our wicker furniture from the porch down to the dungeon so the squirrels can eat them! What a lovely shop and I love that sofa and her color. I love books and have 3 sitting on the floor waiting for me to read! Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that leather chair! We really need to replace the two chairs in our library. I would love big, cushy leather ones with ottomans but leather is so expensive. We splurged on leather furniture for our family room a couple of years ago so I don't know that we are up for another big expense like that again just yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!