Tuesday, June 16, 2015

walls

We just started the long, way overdue process of redoing our master bedroom. Every room in the house has been re-done except ours. Doesn't this figure? The first step was getting rid of the "elephant" in the room - our massive oak bookcase headboard. We finally did so - but it's a rather interesting story what happened to it. I'll tell you about that another time. Our second step is to paint. Our bedroom was painted a light blue a few years ago and I hated it from the minute I saw the room. It would've been fine for a baby boy's room...or, as I sometimes joked, "Looks like the Easter Bunny threw up in here." We hadn't taken enough time to pick out a paint color and the painter was rushing us, so basically we chose a blue paint chip that we thought would look good and that was that. This time, we are painting the room ourselves and are taking our time to make sure we get the color we want. We are sticking with a neutral color and I'm tired of beige, so we're going with gray. I did a ton of online homework on picking out paint colors and what grays have blue undertones (because I will have blue accents in the room) and what grays go with beige, because the hallway leading to our bedroom is a light coffee color and the master bath is a light beige. And instead of just using paint chips, we got sample sizes of the paint and painted swatches on the walls. Here's the first two colors we chose. I immediately knew the first color was too dark. Wasn't totally sold on the second color.


So then we chose three more colors (shown in the "strips" underneath the big swatch). Don't they all look beige-y in this photo?! It depends on the time of day in the room, plus looking at these colors against a blue wall doesn't help. Our decision is now down to two colors, so what we're going to do before making the final decision is to paint each color on a piece of poster board and hold it up to the walls in the hallway and master bathroom to see which gray "flows" best with these other two rooms. Then we'll get cracking on the painting.


Now into the kitchen...

I added a new (thrifted) mini pitcher (OK, so technically it's a creamer) to my collection ~ the white one with yellow and blue flowers. It's Noritake, Summerbreeze pattern. Even the name is lovely.


I also found a red spoon at Hobby Lobby that I thought would look nice next to the coffee artwork on the kitchen wall.


Here's the wall in its entirety...


I know this doesn't have anything to do with walls, but I can't finish this post without mentioning that the Chicago Blackhawks won the 2015 Stanley Cup last night! I'm a big hockey fan ~ it's about the only sport I watch with interest. I tend to like the fast-paced sports...hockey, soccer, basketball. I was born in Canada and my dad was Canadian ~ that should also tell you something. ;-) My dad played semi-pro hockey in his younger days in Canada and then when I was growing up, he taught me to skate and also brought me to a lot of the hockey games that he coached. Anyway, this is the third time in six years that the Blackhawks have won the Stanley Cup ~ 2010, 2013 and now in 2015. And this was the first time since 1938 -  77 years! - that the Cup was won here on home ice. We Chicagoans are very happy right now. The sun is even shining today for the first time in I-don't-know-how-many-days.




12 comments:

  1. Didn't know you were a fellow Canadian. Cool! Congrats to you Blackhawks. Most people I know we're rooting for them and we live near Leaf nation :).

    Love the paint colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paint colors can be tricky.

    The first time I ever painted a room I chose a bright yellow. Well, I didn't realize how bright that yellow would be on the walls. It looked like the light was on all the time and we couldn't afford to repaint it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you get a great colour that you love! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You put so much thought into your painting...I just ask my cousin for advice and go with it. I painted my kitchen by myself with no advice and I just go with it no matter how it turns out. You sure don't take after your mother!! <3 Whatever you choose, it will be perfect!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picking out paint is the worse ever! I always have such a difficult time picking out paint and have had up to 10 samples on my walls. So it's no fun until you find the right one! I love your addition to your "pitchers" and the spoon does look good on the other side! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your bedroom, Melanie. I often fantasize about painting my bedroom but I can't decide on a color. It's just off-white now. Kind of dirty and dingy too, because we never repainted it when we bought the house six years ago. Who knows how old the paint is. Your new little pitcher is so pretty. My good china is Noritake. It's a plain white with platinum bands on the edges. I remember the pattern your pitcher is from back when I was registering for my china and really liked it. I like hockey too. When I was a very young baby, my parents were on a plane with the New York Islanders and they all passed me around during the flight. I was the only baby on the plane and everyone wanted to hold me. I also clearly remember the day of the ticker-tape parade when the New York Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1994. I was eating lunch, watching the parade on TV, after coming home from a math final exam when I was in high school. It was a very exciting day for New Yorkers, myself included. Hope you're having a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the paint color. We painted our dining room white last year, and I was shocked by how many different variations of white we had to choose from. Choice is good, but sometimes too many choices is more stressful than having no choice at all...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think grey is almost as hard as yellow in picking the right color. Good luck! I usually go with the name of it lol

    Your new finds are really cute :)

    Congratulations on the win! I'm a nascar fan, if you can believe that.

    xo,
    rue





    ReplyDelete
  9. That red spoon is perfect there...what a nice find! Good luck with your paint color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always liked the color gray on walls. It's so pretty and it's a color I was considering using myself at one time. I can't wait to see which one you choose.

    I love the red spoon and the little pitcher, too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melanie,

    Firstly, just noticed your post about your arm! I'm so sorry to hear about this, and hope that you are feeling better. I didn't know how rare this condition was. I know you are on the right track with regards to taking care of things. Take care of yourself!

    Now, re: those neutrals...I like the third one from the left, since it seems to be a combination of the previous two before it. Your collection of mini pitchers/creamers is charming and I really like your latest addition - very cute!

    Congrats to the Blackhawks!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love getting some mre disability benefits, especially because of my Alpha ZXT mental disorders.I must say, as considerably as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt help but lose interest after a while. Its as if you had a good grasp around the topic matter, but you forgot to nclude your readers. Perhaps you should think about this from much more than one angle. Or maybe you shouldnt generalise so a lot. http://www.healthsupreviews.com/is-alpha-zxt-scam-or-legit/


    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!