Thursday, July 27, 2017

birthdays

Brian had a birthday a couple of days ago and as he wished, we spent the day in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We went to the Milwaukee Public Market...


walked around the neighborhood, poking our heads into Anthropologie and Goodwill Restore, then we happened upon this new store called Mod Gen.


To me, it was like Anthro, only no clothing and a lot less expensive.
There were also plants everywhere you looked...






The Birthday Boy took a liking to this 1960's sofa.


We had lunch at a thai food restaurant and then did some more walking, stopping in a specialty market and an independent coffee shop. We should've had lunch at this restaurant on the rooftop deck. Doesn't it look like the  perfect lunch spot on a summer day? Oh well, perhaps next year.


Drinks, dessert, bacon...what more could you want?


Speaking of birthdays and dessert, here's a photo of my precious Philip back in 2003. He wasn't quite 15 yet. We were on a family vacation in Cancun, Mexico - the only "real" family vacation we ever had. His birthday was July 21st. He would've been 29 this year. Brian, Tim and I went out to dinner at an Italian place - Phil's favorite food - to celebrate his life.

 Since Phil passed away when he was 21, it's hard for us to imagine him at 29. We wonder what he'd look like, what job he'd have, who he'd be living with...would he have a girlfriend? A wife? Would he be a daddy? 


"The expression of love to another is not reserved for a single day or for a special event or occasion like an anniversary for a birthday. The celebration of love is more about how you live each day with the ones you love and care for. " 
(Byron Pulsifer)



16 comments:

  1. My heart breaks for you Melanie, with tears in my eyes. So lovely that the three of you celebrated Phil's life by having Italian food. I worry about my boys all the time, being so far away. Not being able to see them this summer hasn't been easy. Belated wishes to Brian! It looks like he had a fantastic birthday. Give me all the plants -- Mod Gen looks like my kind of place. A perfect day all around. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to visit Mod Gen. I have been to the public market many times but always during the winter so I never nose around the area. I need to change that.

    Sending you so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bittersweet post-birthdays and losses. The same for us here. 12 years ago today we lost our precious granddaughter...you always wonder about the 'what-if's', don't you? Blessings to you, Melanie. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting store you found. Love this picture of Philip...he is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those memories and milestones will get us everytime. Hugs!! I do love that store, all the pottery and plants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, I am sending you a hug. I know you are missing your boy each moment of the day. I love Milwaukee as that is where my husbands family is from. Glad you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Brian! The two of you are my favorite blogging couple, you have so much fun together. Isn't love wonderful!
    God bless you both.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean trying to imagine Phil at 29. My son died in 1995 at age 16. He would be 38 now. We still are in contact with some of his friends who are married with kids & it still breaks my heart that he didn't get that chance. My thoughts are with you.
    Cathy K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your trip looks like a lot of fun and Brian looks so happy on that couch. A good birthday indeed! I think it's wonderful that you go out and celebrate Phillip's birthday. I am sure it's a very tough day. Sending hugs to you friend...xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so enjoy market visits everywhere I go - usually look for one even when traveling - and take lots of pix. Yours are great of this fun visit Mel - belated happy birthday to Brian.
    I know it must be so hard wondering how things could be so different if Phil was still with you. So glad you are able to remember him in the lovely ways you always do.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's a great idea to celebrate as a family your son's life and the memories you have of him. I always think of you this time of year as I know it must be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You two always have such nice little adventures to post about in your getaways :)
    As to Phil, there are no words just you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated birthday greetings to Brian. Your day out looks like so much fun and I enjoyed the chance to visit Mod Gen through your photos. That looks like a great place. Love all the colors!
    When I read about your family birthday dinner to celebrate Phil's life, my heart went out to you. I am so sorry and can only imagine how hard it must be to wonder what might have been. As a side note, my nephew passed away five years ago today. My thoughts are always with my sister, brother-in-law and surviving nephew on this day. Now my thoughts will also be with you and your family too. Gentle hugs being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending hugs and love your way Melanie.

    You and Brian are such a lovely couple, and I am sure a source of strength for each other.

    Your outing looks like fun, and tell Brian he has good taste in sofas. :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely picture of your sweet son. The quote is beautiful and those are certainly words to live by.

    The Market looks like a lot of fun. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time we're up that way visiting my son and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to Brian and my thoughts are of course with you about Phil. I think it is good that you remember and spend time together as a family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!