Monday, July 31, 2023

end of july




























Can't believe tomorrow is August 1st already. Where has the summer gone? It's my favorite season and it's far too short. My butterfly garden is in its glory; tomatoes, onions and peppers (trying purple ones this year) are almost ready; herbs are prolific (and I somehow got one lone petunia flower in the pot of basil and thyme...where it came from, I have no idea. I don't have petunias here this year. Love these little gifts from the Universe!).

Clementine is still doing fantastic despite her age and stage 4 kidney disease (and hyperthyroidism, high blood pressure and dental disease). You'd never know this sweet baby is so ill. She eats all her meals, uses her cat box, is very interactive with us, runs around, can still jump up to high places.

This month has been filled with various farmer's markets, sidewalk sales, and street fairs. I've been lucky to find some "treasures" at fantastic prices: a leather owl made in Italy; a vintage drinking vessel made in Israel; a stack of books and a CD for $3; a freezer Ball jar that I'm currently using as a vase; vintage pottery (those lines and colors!); a mini metal pitcher with a kitty on it...and then a splurge ~ a new mid-century modern style lamp for our basement family room. Found this beauty at Praha in Chicago. 

Phil would've been 35 years old on July 21st. I don't know when the photo of the two of us was taken, why both of our heads of hair look so dark, or who took the photo. But it looks like Phil was about 14-15 in this photo. How I miss my oldest son. 

And then we celebrated Brian's birthday in July, as well. We had a lovely day together, going out to a restaurant of his choice and seeing the movie, Oppenheimer. Brian liked the movie; I didn't care for it. You really need to know your WW2 history to get into this movie. I had a horrible history teacher in high school and it was a subject that didn't interest me. Plus, the movie was three hours long. We were squirming in our seats.

I know it's the height of summer when the local farmstands start selling their corn. There's nothing like Midwest corn! We had it for the first time this summer on the grill and agreed that next time, we are going for two ears each. Even better when it's eaten outside on the patio. 

If you've stuck around with me through this long post, thank you. I'm not sure what to think about blogging anymore. It's so much easier to keep up with Instagram. Are you following me there? I'm at @melaniescomfyhouse. My account is private, so you'll have to send me a follow request. Anyway, this is by no means goodbye. If I decide to formally stop my blog, I'll let you know. For right now, it's more of an explanation of why I don't post much anymore.

💓

9 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie. Looks like you have had a good July. The farmers markets look like fun, and you also read some interesting books. I love the picture of you and Brian and you and Phil. I know that your mama's heart misses him so much. There are some hurts that time will never heal. Sending you lots of love and virtual hugs. I already follow you on Instagram, I just don't hang out there much. I hope your August is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I hope you continue to post. I enjoy your writing and your photos. Lovely photos, especially of you and your son. Time heals some woulds, but not all. Hugs and prayers. Have a cozy afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are so beautiful. Whatever you decide, I'll be here or there. Do whatever you need to give yourself peace and happiness. Love you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is some wonderful pictures. Love the pics of you and Brian and with Phil. I know you miss him so much and think about him so much. July flew by and now August is here. I hope this month will slow down. Loving the nice weather and my walks at night. Have a good rest of the week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a busy month for you and yes, summer is flying by, way too fast!! I love the pics you shared, especially the one of you and Phil. My heart goes out to you, my friend. As far as blogging goes, it's a totally different world than when we all started and it's definitely a commitment to keep at it. For me, I love writing longform, but when I stop loving it, I would definitely stop blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the photos in this post. The flowers in the third photo from the top are so unusual! What are they? Your garden is flourishing! Mine, not so much. I don't know if it's the heat or what, but everything is late. And the Japanese beetles have wreaked havoc with my roses again. Makes me so mad.
    Phil would be one year older than my son Joe. I love the photo of the two of you <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you keep posting. I appreciate both your writing and your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post and way to close the end of the month in photos. I truly enjoyed my visit :) I think this is going to come up anonymous even when I picked Google account . . . we'll see, anyway this is Connie from Crafty Home Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos of your summer. It looks like it's been a good one so far, although I am sure July is a bittersweet month for you. Glad to hear that Clementine is doing well despite her health issues.
    I would hate to see you stop blogging, but I totally understand your thoughts on the matter,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!