Monday, January 30, 2023

something for everyone at the antique mall

We have an antique mall less than two miles from our house, but haven't been there in about four years. The place is huge ~ three buildings filled with antiques. You need at least a few hours to wander through the buildings. A snowy day was the perfect time for a visit. Though it turned out that the mall closed early due to the snowstorm, so our visit was cut short.


Wandering around the mall, I noticed more mid-century modern items. This style must be "in" again, which is fine with me ~ I happen to like it, as well as antiques. I think you can successfully mix the two styles, as long as it's not overdone.


I happen to love these groovy lamps, though I don't have anywhere to put them. Besides, I have a white slipcovered cottage-style sofa in my small living room, so these lamps would definitely not fit into my decor. I'm picturing my childhood best friend's basement family room from the 70's...there was red shag carpeting and a black vinyl sofa. These lamps would've been perfect there!


There was a booth filled with vintage clothing...


and pretty glassware and tchotchkes filling a window. So many things to browse!


Another booth was filled with feminine, romantic decor.


For the man cave, an assortment of neon beer signs.


Another part of the mall had tons of collector childhood items...toys, figurines, Matchbox cars and records from the 50's - 80's. It's fun looking at all these things that bring back memories from childhood. I still have my plastic dollhouse furniture from the early 70's and I saw a metal dollhouse that was practically identical to the one I used to have that housed the plastic furniture. It was only $10! But what would I do with it and where would I put it? If I had a grandchild, I would've snatched it up for her/him to play with here. 

Love these milk glass plates. Each one had a different design.


This electric coffee pot caught my eye, too. It had a large chip at the spout though.


I was tempted to buy this jar, but the price was too high.


I came home with a couple of items not pictured. One was a birthday gift for a friend and the other a Pyrex bowl. I'll show you the bowl in my next post.

In the meantime, I'm dreaming of warm weather...it was -4 here today with the wind chill factor and will be -20 tomorrow morning. 


Have you done any vintage or antique shopping lately?


8 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie. That antiques mall looks like such a fun place to spend some time. We went to a couple of thrift stores last weekend, but I am not aware of any good antique stores in this area. Stay warm in that cold. It is bitter cold here as well this morning - 3 degrees. See you again soon, Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, when I saw your FB picture of those lamps I had to show my husband, so very cool! I enlarged your post where I could visually shop with you, so many pretty and interesting things. It would have been hard for me to pass up that refrigerator jar and the coffee pot too. I envy you that huge antique store near you. We have an antique district in the little town we're near too that is my R & R go to place when the walls start closing in but their prices sure have risen this last year. It sounds as if it's going to be super cold where you are so stay safe, both you and Brian. And thank you for the antique store shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There truly is something for everyone at that antique mall. What a fun outing on a snowy day. I always enjoy the trip down memory lane that they provide. That coffee pot made me smile as it brought back memories of my parents and their friends sitting around the table drinking coffee while talking and laughing. Coffee pots decorated like that were so typical in those days.
    I look forward to seeing what you found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I haven't been to an antique mall in ages because of my ankle. I didn't even know there were milk glass plates. They are beautiful. I would have been in heaven there!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to love those antique places when I lived up north. They always had such great finds. Love that coffee pot that is adorable. Glad you found a few things. Have a great week. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first photo looks like it's right out of an old movie...and those milk glass plates are beautiful. Looks like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m impressed you went out shopping on such a cold day.
    I like the carved wood couple, do you think they look like a heart? I think they do.
    My town has a really nice antique mall. It’s downtown, in an old 2 story building with wavy floors. Jeff was talking about us going there soon as we haven’t been in quite awhile.m

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love going to antique malls. Fortunately, there aren't any really close to me, or I'd be there all the time. But, there are two that are close enough for when I get the bug to look for something or just browse.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!