Wednesday, December 28, 2016

another christmas come and gone






Christmas Day was spent at my sister's house with extended relatives where we had a spiral ham and turkey breast, a variety of side dishes and appetizers, and homemade pies and cookies. Brian had to work a 12-hour shift, so couldn't join us until later in the evening, which was kind of a bummer. But, after being married 32+ years to someone who has worked in the emergency services field, I'm (somewhat) used to his crazy hours and shifts.

Brian, Tim and I had our Christmas celebration on the 26th since Brian finally had a day off. It was perfect: quiet and relaxing. I made a breakfast casserole and a pot of coffee and the three of us sat in the living room taking our time opening presents and demolishing the breakfast casserole. Please excuse our pajamas and bedhead in the photos. ;-)

Brian totally surprised me with a beautiful leather BedStu purse that I had admired when we were on our weekend anniversary trip to Shipshewana, Indiana in September. He actually took a photo of the purse I was looking at and then contacted the store to have them ship it to his work before Christmas. He also surprised me with a handcrafted silver and gold ring that I saw and tried on in a shop in Evanston in October. When I had asked the artist the price and she told me, I quietly put the ring back in its place. Unbeknownst to me, when we were in a coffee shop and Brian left to feed the parking meter, he went into the artist's shop and made arrangements to buy the ring for Christmas. I don't know what's gotten into my hubby ~ he usually doesn't surprise me like this ~ but I like it!

Of course, the kitties were spoiled, too. I got them catnip filled spider toys and catnip filled felt balls, both of which they love. Even Zippo - at age 17-1/2 - chases the balls around for a little bit. If you're interested, the seller is HERE on etsy.

All the Christmas decorations have been taken down but are still sitting all over the bar and floor in the basement, waiting to be packed away. A job I dread doing, but am grateful for a husband who will end up helping me. I know a lot of people keep their decorations and tree up until at least January 1st, but to me, Christmas is over on the 26th. I'm ready for that cleaner, simpler look...at least for a couple of weeks before the remodeling work begins in our house!







14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely Christmas. I love the surprises from you husband, how sweet. I'm leaving my tree up this week enjoying the glow of the lights. I was gone so much the last week before Christmas this is my time to relax and enjoy. I might get Annie some catnip and see how she likes it. I think she is crazy enough without though. Many Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like my kind of Christmas - a nice quiet day. I still have decorations up, but they will come down as soon as I find a few hours to do so. Looking forward to the simplicity of having my house back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your hubby is so romantic and keeps a ear tuned through the year thinking of you at Christmas . . . how very sweet is that :) He's a keeper! Sounds like a very sweet Christmas. Our tree is up until January 1st . . . it's my hubby's favorite time of the year and he likes to make it last as long as possible :)
    Happy New Year, sweet friend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet of your hubby to be so observant and surprise you with the things you loved. I definitely want to start the new year off fresh, so will be putting decorationss away over the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great guy you've got there!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian is a keeper, no doubt - how sweet!! My decorations have always stayed up until Jan 6th, which is my dad's birthday. I love the glow of the tree, and I'm enjoying it immensely, but I am already kind of looking forward to a cleaner, pared down look after the holidays. Happy New Year to you, Melanie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quiet Christmases are always what my dear husband and I enjoyed. Yours sounded really nice and you three look happy. What sweet surprises from your husband!

    I took my decos down and packed them up on the 26th. The tree is still up with just the lites on it. ;-) I'll put it all away tomorrow, at least, that is my plan.

    Enjoy the rest of 2016 and have a great 2017 ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a very nice Christmas...you and Brian seem like a match made in heaven. Quiet Christmases are the ones I enjoy the most. Brian must listen to know exactly what you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hubby gets the award for best "pay attentioner" on a shopping trip! Wow!! I think that's awesome. I also think your pjs and bedheads look fabulous and authentic. We open our gifts the same way!! It's all part of the Christmas experience! ;) Happy New Year, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know, I'm even less into Christmas decorating than you are. This year was my ulimate Scrooge year, I did not bake one cookie or decorate a single thing. Usually I at least put up a wreath! LOl But I was totally into the holiday, just not that part. After all, we weren't even here for Christmas, so why bother? I always say that Christmas does not come to Pickerington, I have to go to Christmas in Michigan instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your husband is a gem.
    All our Christmas decorations are packed away but we did leave up our 4 foot tree and decorated it with a winter theme. I like the twinkle lights so much and they cheer me up when winter gets bleak.

    ReplyDelete
  12. IT sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love the purse your hubby surprised you with! I've been looking for a nice big leather purse without a lot of bling and yours is perfect. I'm checking out their site. A ring too?! You are one lucky gal!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos of you all looking like little kids with your Christmas gifts gave me a laugh :) A true example of ' the young at heart' here :)
    What great gifts! And much happiness and love showing through:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!