Tuesday, July 10, 2012

unexpected details

One thing I really like about decorating is the ability to come up with
interesting and beautiful touches and details.
Anyone can hang a standard picture on a wall
or line books and tchotchkes up on a shelf.
I like imaginative vignettes and touches of whimsy and beauty
that only the person doing the creating would come up with.
Call it ART.

This past weekend when I was puttering around the house
and rearranging some decor, I found some pretty
little plates that I had collected over the years (all from Goodwill!)
 and wondered how I could display them.
I decided to use 3M Command Strips to hang them 
on the side of the bookcase in the office/guest room.




Here's another unique idea I love: Using a vintage bicycle as yard art.
I saw this in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin yesterday.
I still have my green Schwinn bike from 1970 in my garage.
I need to do this! Wonder where I could find a cool basket like the one below?


Also, while in Lake Geneva, we went into a store (which was underground)
where the cement steps were all numbered.
How creative, cool, and unexpected is that? Makes you smile, doesn't it?



3 comments:

  1. Those plates look great on the side of the bookshelf. I don't have much wall space left so am always looking for new places to display items. Anything with a visible side works for me. Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the numbers on steps before. I really like it. Great idea with the plates. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the plates on your shelves! Do those strips hold that well?

    They use bicycles like that here in Holland. Neat that you still have an old bike of your own to use.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind comment - I read and appreciate each one!